Shadows through chainlink fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadows through chainlink fence

I've been trying to get a shadow through a chainlink fence to look right but I'm not sure how to get there.

I've just set up a simple test cube with the S_HU_Deco_SM_Chainlink02_B mesh and a single pointlight. I've messed with setting the lightmap resolution on the BSP as low as 1 and on the mesh as high as 256 just for yuks. I still just get a shadow the size of the perimeter of the fence and filled in as opposed to showing the chainlink detail.

I didn't change any of the settings on the pointlight from the defaults. Is there a setting in there that will help?

light doesn't recognize texture data so you. The best i think can can do would be to create a reverse shadow or create the fence as polygons.

Make a decal light that projects the texture mask of your texture where the shadow shouldn't be.

Since it's a light it's going to add brightness and not take it away, so instead of creating the shadows it will create the squares for holes in the chain link fence if that makes sense. You could reduce the opacity of white at the top to give it that fading away look.

Your other option would be to create the chain link fence with polygons because those cast shadow. 1 plane of 2 tris for each diagonal line in the fense. Could end up being pretty resource intensive.

Comment

The mesh is flat the texture has opacity so you can see through.

The best way create a mesh of the fence. I used one self created in DM-Restrict (link in sig) Which is then hidden ingame.

Comment

If the mesh is an InterpActor, and the light is static, and the material is masked, you can set the InterpActor to use a LightEnvironment and get shadows using the masked transparency of the material.

Comment

Thanks for the great ideas guys!

Comment

Working...
          X