Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make tube shaped weighless zones please ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make tube shaped weighless zones please ?

Hi,

In UT3 you can sometimes see in maps a sort of tube with some sort of gravity effect in them, when you enter those your vision gets a bit blurred, and you can kind of swin in them, does anyone know how to make these please ?

I explored a map in the game called DM-Deimos (DM-Gateway has one too, as well as other maps) that uses one of those Gravity Fields, and took a few screenshots to show you exatcly what I would like to reproduce in one of my maps.

That's what the Gravity Field looks like from the outside:

When you enter it there is a small transition effect that corresponds to when you cross the wall:

And thats the effect you get when you are inside the Gravity Field:

Once you're in it, it's like if you where floating in space (kind of) and you can swin up and down etc but when you stop moving you don't slowly fall down like if you where in real water.

Also does anyone have an idea on how to make the transition effect that you get when you enter the tube ?

When I opened the map in UnrealED to try to understand how it's done I couldn't really select the tube and it's components (I think it's a combination of post process effects) but I could select other things like static meshes, etc. No being able to select those prevented me from opening the properties to have more infos .

Also it seems like whenever you have these little transition "planes" (which also include a little sound) there is a green geometric forms around it, that seems to change shapes from where you look at it in UnrealED, don't really know how to explain that, i'll post a screenshot of what I'm talking in the UnrealED asap.

I just spent hours on internet searching infos on post process effects and found very interesting stuff and learned a lot in the process but didn't find anything regarding those tubes, even though they are present in lots of cool maps.

I'm still learning (you guessed it !) how to use UnrealED and the first map that I have in mind would revolve around one of these tubes so I really would love to know how to do them. If anyone can point me into a direction or give me some infos it would be very much appreciated !

See you soon !

Smashr

The no gravity zones are simply cylindrical gravity volumes with the gravity set to zero. Find it under the special volumes tab.

For the effects its one post processing volume in the other, with the inside one taking precedence over the outside one. This way as you enter the gravity volume, you walk through the first pp volume which is the highly blurred effect, then into the pp that represents a no-gravity zone.

As for the sound...that's a good question I'll have to go figure that out myself.

Comment

the sound is on a trigger volume, which is the same shape, in kismet, it says that when you touch the trigger volume it plays a sound

Comment

...uber!I'd been wondering about this. I new how the antigrav was done, but the visual effects are cool.

Comment

Ok now I get, thanks a lot guys ! Now I'm wondering, can we apply a texture (=material) tu a volume ? Or do we have to create a BSP brush we that texture on it and then put it on top of everything to get that kind of red liquid, cyber thing that makes the tube ?

Also I can't seem to find the texture, if anyone has an idea that would be could.

Comment

Originally posted by schiZm22 View Post
            The no gravity zones are simply cylindrical gravity volumes with the gravity set to zero. Find it under the special volumes tab.
            as far as i know deimos uses a cylindrical watervolume. zero grav would work totally different from that.

Comment

That might be the case. I suppose zero gravity wouldn't allow you to change directions inside it.

And I'm pretty sure the material is applied to a BSP brush since volumes are invisible and do not accept materials. The material is likely under LT_Deimos, but if you can't find it there, select a surface of that brush in the Deimos map and sync generic browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Bi()ha2arD View Post
                as far as i know deimos uses a cylindrical watervolume. zero grav would work totally different from that.
                Deimos uses a space volume, which is very much like a water volume, with out the drowning and splashing of water.

Originally posted by schiZm22 View Post
                That might be the case. I suppose zero gravity wouldn't allow you to change directions inside it.

And I'm pretty sure the material is applied to a BSP brush since volumes are invisible and do not accept materials. The material is likely under LT_Deimos, but if you can't find it there, select a surface of that brush in the Deimos map and sync generic browser.
                Zero gravity would let you change directions, but it's odd that a player can move with out using some other force like a thruster or what not.

As for the purplish effect when your inside of it, I had to look at the map. Apparently they are using a mesh (EngineVolumetrics.FalloffSphere.Mesh.S_EV_Falloff Sphere_Mesh_01) that you have to be inside of it to see the material (MaterialInstanceConstant'DM-Deimos.LightBeam.Materials.M_UN_Volumetrics_Lightb eam_Cheap_02_Purple'). Learned something new today.

Comment

Thanks for all theses infos i'll try to replicate that to check it out !

As for the material, I would have loved to be able to sync the generiec browser to it but like I said for some odd reason I couldn't select it in the editor even though I could select and modify most of the other things.

However, I didn't really understand what you said Odedge:

As for the purplish effect when your inside of it, I had to look at the map. Apparently they are using a mesh (EngineVolumetrics.FalloffSphere.Mesh.S_EV_Falloff Sphere_Mesh_01) that you have to be inside of it to see the material (MaterialInstanceConstant'DM-Deimos.LightBeam.Materials.M_UN_Volumetrics_Lightb eam_Cheap_02_Purple'). Learned something new today.
                  Isn't the pink color when you're inside the tube a post process effect volume ?

Comment

Originally posted by smashr View Post
                    Isn't the pink color when you're inside the tube a post process effect volume ?
                    It's good that you questioned it. Originally, I though those static meshes where showing the pink color, while inside the tube. After checking it again, they just give the pink color when you are outside of the volume. But once inside the volume, the volume is what makes your entire screen have that pink color.

Comment

Oh I see, yeah it's probably that since post process volumes don't show the color on the outside. However I can't seem to find that textures they used I guess I'll just have to keep looking.

Comment

However I can't seem to find that textures they used I guess I'll just have to keep looking.
                        If you are talking about the mesh, it has a material over ride that uses the following...

MaterialInstanceConstant'DM-Deimos.LightBeam.Materials.M_UN_Volumetrics_Lightb eam_Cheap_02_Purple'

If you mean the pp volume, they don't use materials at all.

Comment

I'm talking about the kind of sparks floating around, is that the mesh you're talking about or is that a material ?

Comment

I'm talking about the kind of sparks floating around, is that the mesh you're talking about or is that a material ?
                            Neither, it's an emitter (which I didn't realize until now). It's located in the map file...

DM-Deimos.DM_Deimos.P_Deimos_Gravity_lift_Purple

Comment

Working...
                            X