Reverse Gravity Work around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Gravity Work around

So the idea I had was a level with two facing islands on the Z axis as per this cleverly professional MS paint image:

See, you have a good side and an evil side, but the magic lies within the player recognizing the two individual areas (mirrors of the same landscape) are the same thing, but not blending them on an X/Y division so they read as one map.
    The problem of course is obvious, I'd love for the player to be able to climb a tower and jump into the orange dot and have his axis reversed so he falls on the other tower, but from what little I've managed to dig up, this is simply not at all possible. . .
    with this next-gen engine . . .

Anywho, so since the meaning of the map is completely lost if the player can't see both sides, I'm trying to figure out what else can take it's place and/or achieve some facsimile of the effect I desire.
    * Would I simply cut the level in half and project a streaming camera footage of one half of the map on the ceiling of the other to fake the illusion? Furthermore, how is that possible?
    * Can I utilize the shaders inherent in UT teleporters to create an immense teleport shader volumn on the ceiling that would mimic the aformentioned effect, allowing players looking up to see the other side of the teleport volumn (the entire other side of the map)?
    * Is there actually a script or magic bullet that can create localized gravity (the one on UTwiki looks like it's still in progress)?

I've tried several different ways to re-design the level and keep the concept, but in a very reductionist way, all solutions inevitably get drawn down to one side being orientated one way and the other side oriented the other. I could just stealth teleport, but if the player can't see the other half it loses it's meaning, hence the idea of projection. I'd hate to redesign this on the X/Y because the gradient flow from one side to the other is just boring. I'm sure there has to be a solution to this that isn't impossible.

Any and all help would be of great assistance.

Use Warp Zone, I never managed to make 1 on ut3, but I guess its possible, try to find on forum somewhere, there might be someone with a tuto of it...

To make it simple, a warp zone, is like Dr.Who phone box machine...he enter in it , en he get in a big place, but from outside its a normal phone box...so here the trick...U get ur warp zone, on the top of where u want it to appear, when the player touch it, he automatically teleport in the other dimmension, or whatever, and fall, (use gravity to reduce damage of the player)...

that would be my idea......i will see if i can find 1 tutorial about it

Comment

If you are so clever about the warp zone, chris882 then I have to tell you: there are no warp zones in UT3. There are no zones in UT3. There are volumes that I don't know what they do and how can I make them work, so if anyone has an idea on how to make work portal volumes please tell! xD

Comment

possible workaround could be 2 seperate areas with scene capture actors as roofs and a teleporter. would be hell of a resource hog tho i guess and you couldnt shoot guys from the other side.

Comment

So evidently teleporters also use scene capture actors . ..

I'll try it out and see how much of a performance hit I get, it's pretty annoying that this has to be a work around for a gravity problem. You'd think there would be something implimented to that extent, hell, Serious Sam came out in what, 2003?

I think I need to stop being creative with level design in this engine.

Comment

right, maybe there is no warp zone, but we can use camera, and take in real time the other side, and put as texture somewhere...( could be hard for the performance of the player though ).Then , make a nice teleporter with kismet...that what i would do, but,instead of making a bigg sky in ''real time view'' , you should make it appear like a black hole...and people under it are automaticly transported in it...Idk..it is only an idea...

Edit: Here I found from Hourence a Nice little tuto of how to make real-time reflection:
            http://www.hourences.com/book/tutori...eflections.htm

Edit(2): One problem that you could have is, some of ur projectile will not be teleported ...So u might have to find another way....

Comment

yea, beams (hitscan) wouldnt work.

btw ut2k4 had a level with working reverse gravity so you could walk on the roof.

Comment

Here is a neat tutorial I found a while ago. It would probably be what you are looking for.
                http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=611911

Comment

Actually I think he's talking about localized gravity. It was achieved in 2k4 and the awesome test map they had was very nauseating :x unfortunately it had no bot support, at least not when I got it.

Comment

Thank You, Superking17 That Tutorial is exactly what I was looking for. It recreated the Warp Zone Effect that I was looking for. It just looks funny.0_o

Comment

Yeah, you won't be able to do this very effectively - Warp Zones no longer exist because of the way UE3 has changed somewhat since it's predecessor. You can use rendering to texture, but it'll be a huge performance issue, and probably won't look all that good (nor can you shoot through it either).

Comment

did you not read the post before, WARPZONES DO EXIST!! and you can shoot truwe them.

If you downlod this map you already see that upside down level effect (i already made a small map with that good idea) LINK: http://www.fileplanet.com/200300/200...CTF-Prediction

But i beleave that warpzones dont work online, i beleave that only the host can see the map corectley. so plz epic correct it.

Comment

Prediction does not use warp zones. It uses teleporters with scene capture actors like people described earlier in the thread. You can't really fire through them; just like normal teleporters in UT, only projectiles and players pass through them. Just try firing the enforcer, or indeed any other trace through it; it doesn't work.

Comment

Can't you just make both the top and bottom 1 solid mesh, then do a simple interp actor rotate with a matinee to make the entire world "flip" upsdide down?

Comment

Originally posted by crazyfingers View Post
                              Can't you just make both the top and bottom 1 solid mesh, then do a simple interp actor rotate with a matinee to make the entire world "flip" upsdide down?
                              But then that way nobody would be on the top layer ever, and everyone on it would fall off when it flipped...

Comment

Working...
                              X