A simple rotating InterpActor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A simple rotating InterpActor

It almost seems too basic - a swinging door on a hinge - but it's not. I just can't seem to figure out how to make an InterpActor rotate some number of degrees when triggered rather than slide back and forth. There are no examples of this kind of action in any of the stock maps, and I haven't seen any on the forums either. Does anyone have any tips for how I could go about accomplishing this?

Originally posted by TubeJuice View Post
    It almost seems too basic - a swinging door on a hinge - but it's not. I just can't seem to figure out how to make an InterpActor rotate some number of degrees when triggered rather than slide back and forth. There are no examples of this kind of action in any of the stock maps, and I haven't seen any on the forums either. Does anyone have any tips for how I could go about accomplishing this?
    Select the interpactor, switch to the rotation widget and rotate it the number of degrees desired then set the key there up from its initial starting position. That should do it. That's the way I have been rotating things.

Comment

Make sure to change the pivot point to the spot where it is hinged. Then just rotate with Matinee.

Comment

Originally posted by musilowski View Post
        Make sure to change the pivot point to the spot where it is hinged. Then just rotate with Matinee.
        I just figured this out a few weeks ago by looking at another map. You need to do this in the Disply -> PrePivot section, you can't just select the object in the editor and say move the pivot.

Comment

I loved the PrePivot idea... but when I go in to matinee and set my rotation and keyframes and I play pack the motion it rotates my static 360 rather than the 90 that I actually rotated. Has anyone ever encountered this?

Comment

Yes. Easy fix. Open up the matinee and select one of the keys. I forget which one, 1st or 2nd, but play with it until it works. Once selected, look at the bottom of the matinee box for the key properties. Check off bUseQuatInterpolation. Done.

Comment

Awesome thanks.

Comment

There's also a physics connector that acts as a hinge if you don't want it to be a scripted opening

Comment

Working...
                X