Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Selective' post-processing?

Hi guys.

I'm new here, and relatively new to using UE3. So, this may only require a simple solution, but bear with me:

I'm building a primarily white map designed to work with a fair amount of post-processing. At the moment, the environment looks lovely, with some tweaked DOF and shadow intensity at 0.5 in the World properties. However, this high contrast effect makes character, weapon and pickup models almost entirely black and hard to distinguish. Is there a way in UEditor to exclude certain actors or models from the effects of the post-processing - make it selective?

Sorry if this is a waste of time!

No, it is not possible. Post processing effects everything.

Comment

Hah, lightning reply! Thanks a lot.

Fair enough =( How about a workaround for the character models - this is a Bombing Run map, so I really just need the player to be able to distinguish the teams from one another; can the intensity or colour of the player lights be modified in any way? Say, to project a brighter red or blue glow around each character?

Comment

I believe they can - I seem to recall that this is controlled by a property in their respective materials, but I can't say more than that without looking at it in depth. You should theoretically be able to make a volume that looks at what team a player is on, and reassigns the value of that property appropriately.

Edit: Neglected to mention, this is a code job. I have no idea whether it's possible in Kismet, and would anticipate that it isn't.

Comment

as a ugly workaround, utcomp has brightskins. but that wouldnt really help you if you play the map without utcomp.

Comment

Thanks. I'd anticipated having to deal with code at some point. I'll look into it if the default team glow isn't apparent enough - and brightskins as a last resort, I guess.

Comment

Why not change the white materials to gray ones? Would even out the differences a bit.

Comment

You could add a skylight with low intensity to lighten up the dark objects, possibly setting it's lighting channels to only affect players.

Comment

Changing the materials does have limited effect, but I think I'd want to keep the pure white in anyway. Just looks nicer stylistically. Good thinking though.

Skylight is a nice idea too; I'll throw one in if it doesn't wreck my build time =P

Comment

if you uncheck BSP and Mesh channels it shoulnt affect build time at all as no lightmaps would be built. but im not sure if you can set it up to ONLY lighten the player.

Comment

Skylights shouldn't affect buildtimes significantly, regardless.

Comment

Working...
                      X