Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Ring-Gate Teleporters" telefragging everyone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Ring-Gate Teleporters" telefragging everyone.

Being my first map, I've been searching forums and tutorials endlessly for the past week looking for tips, advice, and general how-to stuff.
    I've been doing simi-ok on my own learning as I go, but recently I've hit a rather large road block.

I've been trying to make some ring-gate teleporters (atleast I think thats what they were called on Stargate)
    Visually I like how it's looking so far, even though I haven't gotten to making my own effects yet.

They are intended to function as a 2 way teleporter that can only be triggered from one location. Originally I was going to have them teleport to random other ring-gates, however I'm lacking good destinations for more than 2 sets. I would move some of the stuff to just 1 matinee, but if they can be fixed, I might go ahead and increase the level's size to squeeze a few more ring-gates in.

I have it setup as follows:
    One trigger zone will trigger 2 gates. A spotlight is turned on slowly before the rings quickly lift at both gates. (3 second delay from the light matinee to the ring matinee) At the end of the ring matinee, there is a simi-glowing mesh set to collision-touch that rises. Then, the sequence is reversed.
    There is also a link to a 6.5 second delay to a remote event.

The remote event goes to the "Open" ends of 2 gate functions, as well as a short delay. The delay then goes to "Close" on those gate functions.

a "Touch" event is attached to each of the simi-glowing mesh, going into the "In" function of a gate. On the "Out" there is another short delay, leading to a teleport that should send the player to a trigger volume at the correct destination ring-gate. (to give the gate action time to be closed)

In testing on my own, it seems to work great, however in an actual game if anyone triggers the teleport, everybody on the map gets telefragged. While its somewhat amusing having a "Kill everyone "button , I really would like to have working ring-gates.

I've been fighting with this for the past 2 days, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

also, here is a random look at some of the level.

Sill working on the goo glow though.

the problem is you use the Player variable for your teleport. that teleports everyone to the same exit and they kill each other. you have to use the instigator of some trigger volume inside the rings and put that as the target of the teleport node. then only a player that touches the volume will be teleportet.
    the best way to do this is use a touch event and on touch set the variable of the teleport target to the instigator and on untouch set it to nothing. else if you touch the trigger, run away you would still be teleported as you are still stored in the variable.

Rings are a cool idea for a map btw, i like it

Comment

Thanks. Still new to using this editor and stuff, so I wasn't aware that the Player variable would get every player in the map.

Comment

I'm just posting to express my interest in your use of Stargate's ring transporters. Let us know when you've got them working - looking forward to this map.

Comment

yea, me too. i'd like to see how it turns out.

Comment

To be honest, It will probably take a few more months of work before I'm satisfied with how it looks and plays. Most days I work on it I re-build about 2/5 of what I started with. Sadly I doubt my work will compare to most other maps but like I said this is my first time working with the editor.
            However, If I can find a site to upload it to, I could share the test map I use to test random ideas with the rings. (once I work out some bugs anyhow)

Comment

well, i can tell you this: it sounds way cooler than my first map(s) :P

Comment

Originally posted by Bi()ha2arD View Post
                the problem is you use the Player variable for your teleport. that teleports everyone to the same exit and they kill each other. you have to use the instigator of some trigger volume inside the rings and put that as the target of the teleport node. then only a player that touches the volume will be teleportet.
                the best way to do this is use a touch event and on touch set the variable of the teleport target to the instigator and on untouch set it to nothing. else if you touch the trigger, run away you would still be teleported as you are still stored in the variable.

Rings are a cool idea for a map btw, i like it
                The problem with that is it would only teleport the player that triggers the volume - when Stargate ring transporters transport everyone within the rings.

Unless each player walking into the trigger volume is added to a list of some kind, and the entire list is teleported? But again, you'd probably have the issue that they would all telefrag each other.

Comment

yea, i know how the rings work in stargate. but i cant think of a way of doing that in kismet without telefregging everyone atm.

Comment

Actually I just had an idea, but it depends on there being a lot of space under the floor beneath the rings.

Instead of teleporters, animate them like lifts - the floor has no collision, hiding a round interpactor platform. When you walk inside the rings onto the platform, you trigger the lift animation - the rings come down, and then the hidden platform sinks through the floor, moves through a tunnel to the destination rings, and swaps places with the platform there. And the lift moves so fast, that from the perspective of the players they simply disappeared from the first ring set and appear at the second.

The only disadvantage is you could not randomise the destination. - you could only have fixed pairs of rings.

Comment

I don't think you can move a player using interpactors like that.

Comment

Why not? It's basically the same as that pair of floating lifts in DM_CarbonFire, only they move much faster.

Comment

I've actually got the rings working now. I even have a way to randomize them on a test map I have setup strictly for working the rings. If someone could direct me to a website I can upload it to, I can share how I set it up.

Comment

Btw, ive seen u had prob with instigate the player, Put 2 trigger volume (cylinder brush, put them where ur teleporter area are) then make this sequence:
                            http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7473/kismet.jpg
                            and, actualy, there is no need to make Instigate from trigger touch to the objectlistvar object

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                              I don't think you can move a player using interpactors like that.
                              i think if you select the interpolation type that instantly switches between keyframes without any fading (cant remeber the name atm) it should work like a telporter. only if a player is in the air while the platforms switch he wouldt get "teleportet"

Comment

Working...
                              X