Outdoor Maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor Maps?

Hello everyone im am in the process of creating a map for ut3 (shocker) and I am just curious as to how to achieve the best outdoor light as possible. Hope you can help!

I am no expert with the visuals and such, but I would recommend that you use several directional lights to simulate sunlight.

Comment

Yup around 4 directional lights to get that fuzzy shadow effect. And remember your skylight is basically how shadows will look, it is darkest possible spot, so make it dark.

But it all does not depend only on light, all details make atmosphere, even ambient sounds (that are usually neglected).

For really fine shadows you can take screenshot at right angle, then make contour in photoshop and use it as decal. This would work great with for trees.

If your map is split into parts is better to make separate terrain for each part than one for whole map. Just do not over do splitting 2-4 terrains should be max.

Whatever possible use CSG with 16-32 shadow resolution, it is cheaper than whole terrian with same res. Just cut CSG into pieces according to how detailed shadows or light is.

And do not forget to set "cast no shadows" to your skydome mesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
        Yup around 4 directional lights to get that fuzzy shadow effect. And remember your skylight is basically how shadows will look, it is darkest possible spot, so make it dark.
        For DM-Tomac, I actually used 6 (1 for the main sun light, 1 going the opposite direction (for the fuzzy shadow effect), 4 (bluish facing diagonally into the center of the map to simulate the sky's casting some blue onto the ground). While it worked well, I was read later that you should be able to get away with 1 directional light (main light source from the sky) and a properly set up sky light (which is suppose to be used to fill in light for larger maps).

Comment

Working...
        X