GIMP to Unreal Editor (General Info)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteelerWolf View Post
    take a look at real plywood . . Is it all lumpy and bumpy like a normal map would give you? Generally not me thinks
    You mean a triple post? I know plywood doesn't have really any depth to it (unless some pieces of the ply are gone). I was just wondering what a normal map could do to it, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelerWolf View Post
      Is it all lumpy and bumpy like a normal map would give you?
      Depends on what you pull into normal map.

It wasn't until after I quickly knocked out the normals for the doors (with the entire layer selected) that I figured out you can select any portion of a texture and apply the normal map filter to that specific part. Different portions of the texture can receive different normal mapping as defined by the 2D artist.

I am confident that a true 2D artist could work wonders with the process, but I'm just another primate banging away on a keyboard. If I can end up with a result that even looks close to passable it's a wonder.

Would probably be a better pipeline to pull any seaming between plywood sections in as individual parts and increase the index for those parts. Pull the planar portions in with no index increase. Then work with those two layers for an improved effect. Experimentation can lead to the results you need for your end result.

Comment

Working...
      X