Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GIMP to Unreal Editor (General Info)

Hello all,

I downloaded and started to use GIMP to learn how to edit graphics (for website, basic formating, and maps). I am guessing it's powerful enough for the average level designer to use to make textures and so forth.

With that, feel free to post any suggestions, tutorials (or links to them), or any general info that GIMP users can use to make or edit textures for the editor.

My current task: I have some plywood textures that I got from a texture site and while they look nice, they look too new and clean. I want to find ways to make tthem look older and worn.

If this can be done in the editor, that would work too.

Dude...
    If you want to make textures, GIMP is not the way. Get photoshop or painter.

I have tested GIMP and i found it to be useless in CG art, There might be some people out there who can make decent stuff with GIMP, but if they just focused on photoshop instead. Their art would look ten times better.

Thats all i have to say about that.

Comment

Not everyone can afford PS, though. And for people who don't feel like pirating, it's a decent option and information should be supported.

Comment

With the correct know-whats, GIMP is a pretty sharp tool.

Easier in the editor, but better in GIMP. Try multiplying it with a rock texture that's been multiplied itself with a green brown. Best way to do it, is to test it out in the material editor, then extract those textures and duplicate the effect in GIMP - no point using two textures and extra instructions, after all

Comment

Originally posted by FarbrorFisk View Post
          Dude...
          If you want to make textures, GIMP is not the way. Get photoshop or painter.

I have tested GIMP and i found it to be useless in CG art, There might be some people out there who can make decent stuff with GIMP, but if they just focused on photoshop instead. Their art would look ten times better.

Thats all i have to say about that.
          I have no desire to spend that kind of money on a hobby (aside from the actual computer) and like Shadow Dancer mentioned, I am not into pirating software either.

So while I appreciate thoughts, I already know Photoshop, 3dMax/Maya, & Crazybump are the type of program you should use, if you can afford them or would have a reason to spend that money (you are a professional).

Don't take the spirit of this thread as ignorance.

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
          With the correct know-whats, GIMP is a pretty sharp tool.
          That's what I figured and that's what I am after with this thread.

Easier in the editor, but better in GIMP. Try multiplying it with a rock texture that's been multiplied itself with a green brown. Best way to do it, is to test it out in the material editor, then extract those textures and duplicate the effect in GIMP - no point using two textures and extra instructions, after all
          Well, if it's something that can be done in the editor (I have messed around with that also), that's obviously a better choice for the reason's you stated. But, there are some things the ME can't do (create text and resizing textures are two basic examples).

Comment

gimp is a fantastic bit of kit and one way or another can do pretty much everything that photoshop can do. It also has a very nice normal map plugin

Comment

i found this a while back, maybe it helps you.

http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/topic/...x-20079-1.html

Comment

Originally posted by SteelerWolf View Post
                gimp is a fantastic bit of kit and one way or another can do pretty much everything that photoshop can do. It also has a very nice normal map plugin
                +1...
                depend of yer level for sure; but a noob like me is fully happy with it too

Comment

you can also have it looking like photoshop (although it might not be as up to date as standard gimp):

Due to the changes to the interface, many Photoshop tutorials can be followed in GIMPshop unchanged,
                  and most others can be adapted for GIMPshop users with minimal effort.
                  http://www.gimpshop.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SteelerWolf View Post
                    I did download a normal map plugin, but haven't tried. Would this be worth it for plywood (I am doubting it). I need to make my plywood look better so players like {BFG}Bl!tz~ will like my map more.

Originally posted by {BFG}Bl!tz~ View Post
                    +1...
                    depend of yer level for sure; but a noob like me is fully happy with it too
                    This noob is happy with it so far too. MapMonkey helped me learn how to make an transparent background, which I imported into the editor...

[shot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_gimp_odedge.jpg[/shot]

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                      Would this be worth it for plywood (I am doubting it). I need to make my plywood look better
                      Depends on how aggressive you get with the normal plugin. For the plywood door panels in 9to5 I think I just tweaked one of Gimp's included wood fills and ran it through the normal plugin a few times to catch the end result post-import.

You can also further modify the normal map once you import for additional tweaks with the Material Editor.

There are also DDS plugins for Gimp for those that know how to work with them in addition to the normal map plugin:

http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/dds/
                      http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/normalmap/

Comment

take a look at real plywood . . Is it all lumpy and bumpy like a normal map would give you? Generally not me thinks

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
                          I did download a normal map plugin, but haven't tried. Would this be worth it for plywood (I am doubting it). I need to make my plywood look better so players like {BFG}Bl!tz~ will like my map more.

This noob is happy with it so far too. MapMonkey helped me learn how to make an transparent background, which I imported into the editor...

[shot]http://www.odedge.com/forums/ut3_gimp_odedge.jpg[/shot]
                          haha...yeah the thread u are refering to is very usefull, now i am abble to write "i m a noob" everywhere ...muhahaha......seriously,was very interressant

Comment

take a look at real plywood . . Is it all lumpy and bumpy like a normal map would give you? Generally not me thinks

Comment

sorry . . Deleted this thanks to dodgy double post on my phone :s

Comment

Working...
                              X