Help aligning material at an angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help aligning material at an angle

I have an area with stairs that go up, and I want to angle a material to match the angle of the stairs.

I've tried rotating the texture to match it as best as I can, but even when the stripe lines up, other parts of the material do not.

What is the best way to align the material so it is completely smooth from the bottom to the top?

Here are two images that show off what I'm trying to accomplish, and how it's actually turning out:

[shot]http://imk.cx/junk/ue3texalign1.png[/shot] [shot]http://imk.cx/junk/ue3texalign2.png[/shot]

You can see that the stripe almost lines up on both ends. The stripe is actually slightly taller when angled. The top and bottom parts of the texture are not aligned at all.

you need to make the material slightly shorter than it is now....

Comment

What's the best way to make it shorter? Do I need to do that directly with the material, or is there a better way to shorten it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dopefish View Post
        What's the best way to make it shorter? Do I need to do that directly with the material, or is there a better way to shorten it?
        Just throw a texcord on the material to scale the height of it, though not sure if that would throw it off, worst case scenario just throw it in an image editor and chop it down a wee bit.

Comment

I'll try messing with the Texture Coordinate function. Loading it up in an image editor wouldn't work well because there's too much going on.

Anyway, is that the only way?--Shorten the texture, rotate it and hope you can get it lined up, and be done with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dopefish View Post
            Scale it down in brush surface properties.

Comment

yea, f5 and then scale custom. you will have to try around a bit until you get what you want, but once you found the value you can use it for all the walls with the same rotation.

Comment

Alright, I'll mess around with it. Thanks.

Comment

Trying to guess the right size and degree of angle is a major pain.

Edit:
                  It appears that scaling it has some effect on the degree of the rotation. I have the regular, straight walls at a scale of 2.0. If I leave the texture at a scale of 2.0, I need to rotate it 26.6 degrees to have it line up. However, since it ends up being larger than the normal walls, this isn't good. If I lower the scale slightly, then when I rotate it by 26.6, nothing lines up. I have to change it into the 29.x range to get it to semi-line up.

Edit:
                  I think I'll just line it up as best as I can and then try to cover up the seams with something else.

Comment

Working...
                  X