How do you stop pickups snapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you stop pickups snapping?

I have a few pickups that are rotated to a static mesh wheel.
    I could align these perfectly if it weren't for it snapping all the time!

I think it snaps to perhaps the simplified mesh collision hull or some BSP that's near the area, I'm unsure.

So, can I disable snapping on a pickup or mesh?

In properties, under Advanced, uncheck bEdShouldSnap.

Comment

It appears it already was unchecked, it must be some other setting?

Comment

Ah, you mean it's auto-aligning to the collision? (rather than, snapping to the grid) I discovered that aswell... I would move pickups and then later they would be back aligning themselves to the collision again... can't remember how I got around it though, if I did at all, sorry.

Comment

There has to be an easier way to do it, but for now I just build paths, then lower the pickups to where I want them, then build lighting.

Comment

It sounds like in your case, Kev, you could just make custom collision for the wheel...

Comment

Yes it is annoying, editor always knows better. This behavior is very nasty with liftcenter and movers, if your lift is embdeded in blocking volume (to make walking on floor flat) editor happily resigns liftcenter to that volume then complains that liftcenter is assigned to static object.

I found no way around it, and i think there is none (besides fixing them after rebuild). We should scream a bit louder in hopes that Epic adds "Cant touch this" property for navigation points.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
                editor always knows better
                Oh, that! Yes, very annoying.

Comment

Remove Collision from the mesh. Place a Blocking Volume beneath the Origin Point of any added pickup. Adjust Z-Axis for proper alignment. (Tested to spawn a Hellbender on a 32x 64y 48z BV in mid air. )

Yes, the editor does know best. However, there are ways to backdoor various results a designer may be trying to achieve. There are also cases where the local geometry may have to be constructed in a different order to bypass Editor defaults.

Comment

As Map monkey said, use a blocking volume and either remove the collision on the mesh, or set it to block weapons (blocking volumes always default to block all except weapons).
                    If you remove the collision from the mesh completely, then set the blocking volume to block all.

Comment

had that problem with teleporter exits, wanted them to be "mid air" so that my push forward effect worked, but editor always moved them down to the floor. i think what i did was moving them up after path building.

Comment

That's generally not a good idea, moving paths without building.

Comment

or wait, for the final release i edited the colission cylinder of the teleporter (as i had it subclassed anyways) so that it was above the floor.

Comment

Working...
                          X