Terrain Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrain Issues

I am seriously getting fed up with terrain in UT3. So here is the issue I am having with it. I will be working with it everything is all fine and good. I will paint it and sculpt it looks great. Then I will go to cook the level and it will crash the baking process. Then if I close UnrealEd and try to open it up again the editor will crash before it opens up with no error messages. I will have to delete my terrain packages to make it load up but that nukes out the terrain. What in the world am I doing wrong here??

Another odd thing is after I sculpt the terrain somehow that makes a terrain_0 and terrain_1???

Never edit stock content, and always create terrain layers/material setups in your map package.
    Quit the editor, go to your MyDocuments\MyGames\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC folder, and see if there's an Environments folder in there, if so, move it and it's contents to the bin. Restart your editor.

As for having 2 terrains, perhaps you've accidentally duplicated it?

Comment

When I create it, I use the terrain wizard. Then use a setup layer from UN-Terrain.

So should I create a new terrain setup package and import those textures into my own terrain material within my level? Because I thought when you click yes to save before cooking it baked those things into your level for you.

Comment

That Environments folder gets created if you ever try to publish a map with an edited stock package (they have an asterisk beside them if edited). I've never used the terrain wizard, I prefer to add the terrain actor manually, and use "auto-create" with a material selected in the generic browser. I then create a Layersetup and MaterialSetup in my map package. Never had any problems this way.

Comment

I have worked enough with terrain and find it fairly solid. plugh makes some good points. Have you checked out Hourences tutorial on terrain?

Comment

hmm looking at these tutorials for terrain the only thing that I am seeing that is different is I was using premade terrain materials, which were not being saved into the level itself.

Comment

Well so far so good remade the terrain and this time embedded it instead of putting it into its own package seems to be working that way.

Comment

Originally posted by apophis3d View Post
                Well so far so good remade the terrain and this time embedded it instead of putting it into its own package seems to be working that way.
                Good to hear. You really should only be using external packages for mods. The biggest catch to it is that you need to use the assets before saving your map.

Comment

Right because if you don't put the asset into your map which is embedded in the map and save before it will be like it was never in the package. Happens every now and then when I am in a rush though...

Comment

Working...
                  X