lift troubles (matinee/kismet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lift troubles (matinee/kismet)

i have followed this tutorial on how to do it(its by Hourence). yet i get the result i got when i first started playing with unrealed.it goes from the first keypoint to the last keypoint with nothing in between(rather than all these dots in the middle i only get one at the top and bottom) i believe i have followed the tutorial to the dot. any suggestions? id go use the tutorials from 3dbuzz that came with my unreal tournament 3 but unfortunately my dog wanted to use it instead and 3dbuzz doesn't seem to have the video i need online

Those little yellow dots are the in-between (or "tweening") frames. So, what's not working? Is it jumping instantly to the last frame or is it that you want it to stop at different levels?

If it's jumping up to the last frame, make sure you don't have the translation curve in the curve editor set to "constant" curve type. I doubt that is the case though, as you wouldn't have those tween dots if it was. How many seconds are there between your keyframes?

Comment

Be sure to have your trigger count value set to 0

Comment

One of the best tut I'm aware for movers is on passion3d site but you must understand French...

Check my main thread (in my sig) for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Godsbane View Post
          Those little yellow dots are the in-between (or "tweening") frames. So, what's not working? Is it jumping instantly to the last frame or is it that you want it to stop at different levels?

If it's jumping up to the last frame, make sure you don't have the translation curve in the curve editor set to "constant" curve type. I doubt that is the case though, as you wouldn't have those tween dots if it was. How many seconds are there between your keyframes?
          the picture i posted was taken from hourence mine didn't have "tweens" it just jumps and it was set to constant thanks a ton.

just a quick question. how to make a mesh look back and forth (trying to have a gun turret scan space) i tried the same method as i did for the lift except instead of moving it. i rotated it, but it just dose a ballerina dance unless its only about a 5degree difference from the first key (it will spin the degrees i added plus 180degrees i think)

stevelois im sorry i dont understand french

Comment

That can also be a problem with the curves.

It might be trying to smooth out the transition of the curves and so it's adding a long bezier in which to turn around and go back the other way. You could try to set the rotation curve to linear and see if that's any better.

Also, animating rotations in matinee is abit trickier than animating translations. Simply turning the actor in the viewport at the key frames can result in what you are describing (as it records values in terms of 0 to 180 and then -180 back to 0). I suggest do only the five degree change, then go into the curve editor, click on the keyframes and change the value amount in there. Be sure to have "show rotations in curve editor" checked, or you won't see the curves for rotation.

Comment

i think i did it but its probibly a pretty dirty way of doing it (having the keyframe outside the end scene )

another quick noob question (sorry i have a bunch of em i guess ha) is their a way to keep it animating (scanning space) without having to have a player trigger it? seems kinda messy to me to just have a giant trigger volume

Comment

Originally posted by gtochad View Post
                another quick noob question (sorry i have a bunch of em i guess ha) is their a way to keep it animating (scanning space) without having to have a player trigger it? seems kinda messy to me to just have a giant trigger volume
                You can link your matinee to a 'Level Startup' event in Kismet. When the level starts up, the matinee will be triggered.

If you want the matinee to keep looping the entire time, be sure to set bLooping to True in the matinee properties.

Comment

Here this may help ya out I did a video tutorial on making lifts. Apophis3d.net - Lifts

Comment

this is how i want to loop but unfortunately it wont and just having blooping on wont work the way i have it set up(or the way i want) anyways how can i get it to keep looping?

thanks apophis3d thats was gonna be a future question of mine is how to get sound for my lifts (i did before but forgot how and like i said my bonus disc was eaten by my dog )

Comment

Originally posted by gtochad View Post
                      how can i get it to keep looping?
                      From the image, it looks like you're delaying the matinee when it completes and then reversing it.

To acheive a "scanning" effect, what if you added more keyframed animations of your mover moving back to its original position (after the initial keyframes) and then extend the duration of the matinee on the end to have it act as a delay?

You could then set it to bLooping and wouldn't have to worry about using a Delay.

I just tried it out in a test level and this is what I did:

1. Set Roll on mover to 30 degrees for 1st keyframe
                      2. Set Roll on mover to 90 degrees for 2nd keyframe (1 second after 1st keyframe)
                      3. Set Roll on mover to 135 degrees for 3rd keyframe (1 second after 2nd keyframe)
                      4. Set a 4th keyframe (2 seconds after 3rd keyframe) with a Roll of 135 degrees
                      5. Set Roll on mover to 90 degrees for 5th keyframe (1 second after 4th keyframe)
                      6. Set Roll on mover to 30 degrees for 6th keyframe (1 second after 5th keyframe)
                      7. Then I extended the length of the matinee for 2 seconds on the end (drag the little red triangle to the right)
                      8. Set the curves to Linear in the curve editor
                      9. I set the matinee to bLooping
                      10. I linked the matinee to Level Startup

Note: I used the actor properties to change the Roll of the mover, not the rotation widget.

This acts like a gun turret "scanning" back and forth.
                      I'm assuming that's what you mean by "scanning space".
                      I hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X