Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fallin meteors of DEATH!!! MWAHAAHAA!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Fallin meteors of DEATH!!! MWAHAAHAA!!

    Hey, guys. I was wondering if there was a way to set it up in kismet to where every so often, the sky showers down meteors in a certain area and kills everyone. I would set it up to where there would be a rumbling/lighting change and then it just rains down some doom!

    Hint hint....It's a FFVII map that I've been slaving over for EVER now. (Hence Meteor....for those who have played the game...) Anyway, it's a vctf map between the town of Nibleheim and the Reactor area!

    I can get around in Kismet fairly well for basic animations and I understand alot of the features and navigation of it; but this might be a little over my head.

    Anyone got a way to do this that I could understand and accomplish?

    #2
    Well you could code a "projectile" for the meteors and spawn them...

    Comment


      #3
      Or you can do your meteors with interpactors and put on ground some damage/kill volume triggered when and where the meteors touch the ground.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Shinobibob View Post
        Hey, guys. I was wondering if there was a way to set it up in kismet to where every so often, the sky showers down meteors in a certain area and kills everyone. I would set it up to where there would be a rumbling/lighting change and then it just rains down some doom!


        I can get around in Kismet fairly well for basic animations and I understand alot of the features and navigation of it; but this might be a little over my head.

        Anyone got a way to do this that I could understand and accomplish?
        Redeemer fire would be a decent place to start for designing your explosive effects since it's already got some pretty devastating meteor-like effects in my opinion. Depending on how comfortable you are with the scripting side of things, you could use that as a starting point and just design a new look for the redeemer projectile. From there setting up a time-based rain of meteors with kismet wouldn't be hard at all. If you go with that, I'd use "Dummy Weapon Fire" under action, cinematic instead of spawn projectile. Spawn Projectile is a little buggy IMHO and there are some built in controls for number of shots to fire and random spread effects. Hope this helps!

        Comment


          #5
          Hmmm... Those sound like some good ideas. The only thing is that I know basically nothing about the coding process within ut3. Any one have any good tutorials for coding and kismet that would get me going on this?

          Comment


            #6
            Well, dropping redeemers at random intervals using kismet isn't too bad. Whipping up a new projectile is a little more involved. You might go with Sebastion's suggestion about using damage/kill volumes timed with the "impact" of your meteors. For that you wouldn't need any scripting, just kismet, some interp actors that look like meteors, a kill volume, and preferably some particle effects for falling meteor and explosion (again redeemer has some decent explosions).

            As for tutorials, if you're not familiar with matinee then I'd start here and scroll down a bit or here

            Neither of these tutorials are fantastic but they'll give you a basic idea of working in matinee. If you're wanting some overall kismet tutorials go here and scroll down to kismet section

            Comment


              #7
              I'll make a tutorial for you. This could be fun as I have not tried this yet but sounds like something that could come in handy. I'll get back to you soon.

              Comment


                #8
                Dude, you are awesome. Thanks in advance for all the hard work!

                Comment


                  #9
                  again sebastien with the excellent approach. well played. I have considered this approach for like a dragon (the serpent static mesh from one of the stock packages) launching a fireball to kill people. My thought, though almost identical to sebastien's, was to attach a "kill volume" to the the mesh I use for the fireball -- or meteor for this case -- so that the kill volume would kill anything that the fireball happened to come across.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    For a basic idea checkout my Deconstruction map. My meteorites don't kill though, as I didn't know about the killbox part at the time.
                    However I have rigged up an explosion, flash and smoke using the ingame epic assets. Maybe they can give you an idea of what to use.

                    If ya wanna see them in action start the map with no bots then stand on the top surface for the 1st minute and about 3 metorites should hit.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Lord_PorkSword View Post
                      For a basic idea checkout my Deconstruction map. My meteorites don't kill though, as I didn't know about the killbox part at the time.
                      However I have rigged up an explosion, flash and smoke using the ingame epic assets. Maybe they can give you an idea of what to use.

                      If ya wanna see them in action start the map with no bots then stand on the top surface for the 1st minute and about 3 metorites should hit.
                      sounds cool. filefront link is dead for "PC Version 2b". Yeah, the usual dead link from filefront -- but would like to see how the sequence works. In the mean time, could you post any screenshots of the kismet sequence as a teaser?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Those are some good Ideas. That's kind of the way I was wanting to go, since I'm not very good ad programming. The visual aspect of kismet is right up my ally.

                        Yeah, I got the dead link too. I would love to see it! In the mean time; I'm just going to start putting 'safe house' shelters along the way for people to duck & Hide.

                        By the way, can matinee tween the color of a light source, rather than just a straight white/red switch? I would like for the lights to have a nice fade to red before the meteors start rumblin'!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Shinobibob View Post
                          By the way, can matinee tween the color of a light source, rather than just a straight white/red switch? I would like for the lights to have a nice fade to red before the meteors start rumblin'!
                          Yes. You need a dynamic light, and a matinee seq to control the fad between white and red colors at the moment you want.

                          And if this map is not for a mod or if you are not enough good on code (like me), I recomand you to use my method, a bit tricky, but with some work and settings tests, the result can look good and the map could be played on the regular game

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Yeah, that's what I was shooting for. It's just going to be a regular vctf map for all to enjoy. I just want to go as far as I can with this for all the FFVII nuts like me to have something that's true to the game, but with enough added pathways and such to where it makes sense for good gameplay.

                            As for the lights, I figured that was going to be the way to do it, just haven't tried it out yet. Thanks, man.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
                              Yes. You need a dynamic light, and a matinee seq to control the fad between white and red colors at the moment you want.

                              And if this map is not for a mod or if you are not enough good on code (like me), I recomand you to use my method, a bit tricky, but with some work and settings tests, the result can look good and the map could be played on the regular game
                              Can you make a dynamic volume scale over time via matinee? If so you could create an effect where the kill volume had a growing radius of death (like a spreading explosion) for a better explosive feel.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X