Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Vehicle - Armoured Bulldozer

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of creating a custom vehicle to work in Unreal. I have finished the high poly model and am currently finishing off the low poly model which will be the one used within the game.

I have most of the low poly model finished but am unsure the best way to make the tank treads. Would it be best to have the treads as a single object or as multiple different pieces? I have found very little information about getting tank treads to work with a custom vehicle so if anyone has any information regarding this I will be very grateful.

Thanks for looking

Nice model.
    As for the treads, have a look at the models in the package for the UT3 tank and see how that was done.

Comment

look at the Goliath tank, the tracks are a single mesh and only the material moves, if you set the rollerbones and extra track bones correctly then the track will move up and down with the rollers

Comment

Thanks alot guys. I never thought of having the texture moving. I have finished the low poly and am just baking the normal and AO maps before texturing the vehicle ready to get it working in the game.

Does anyone know of any problems or difficulties regarding custom tank vehicles. I have been able to find nothing on the subjects. Im hoping that much of the code I will be able to use will come from the Goliath in the game already but I am new to this.

Thanks

Comment

lokk good lol a Armoured Bulldozer in ut3 cant wait too try it

Comment

Does anyone know of any problems or difficulties regarding custom tank vehicles. I have been able to find nothing on the subjects. Im hoping that much of the code I will be able to use will come from the Goliath in the game already but I am new to this.
            i've got 4 tanks in sofar all using the goliath code

Comment

I heard that setting up the roller wheels might give problems. Haven't tried myself, so I can't provide details.

Comment

I heard that setting up the roller wheels might give problems
                i haven't tried but i can't see it being a problem, modding UT3 is really monkey see monkey do

Comment

What kind of weapons can we expect on this bad boy?

Comment

Very nice model! Is it possible to get this bulldozer as a static mesh just for dekoration?

Comment

Thanks Cosmix. I'll upload the file of the vehicle and post it here. As for weapons there will be machine guns on the top and rockets from the back. This is work for my University couse so I have had to balance the vehicle. I would have liked to have a small armoury on wheels but that wasn't possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodan View Post
                        machine guns on the top and rockets from the back.
                        That sounds a bit... unspecial. Such a unique vehicle deserves some unique weapons.

Comment

I agree that the guns that I am going to use for this vehicle are nothing original but I just wanted to do something that I would be able to cope with as this is my first attempt at putting a custom vehicle into Unreal.

I do plan on having the scoop part at the front moving, maybe not so as a weapon though.

However I still have time to change the weapons so if anyone has any suggestions as to weapons that this vehicle could use feel free to input.

Comment

Maybe you can do somethink with the big shovel. Is it possible to bind a special version of the Impact Hammer to that one? So you can block vehicles or players. Just an idea.

Comment

Im am having problems with my vehicle and would really appreciate some help if possible.

I have imported the vehicle and materials, created a physics objects and an anim tree with bones which match the bones used for the Goliath. I have used the existing code for the Goliath and have altered this to the best of my knowledge. When I add the vehicle factory it complies ok but I cannot launch the game as it always crashes.

Code:
                              Log: ====
                              Worlds needing PIE Save:
                              Log: dm-Vehicle_Test
                              Log: ==== 1 total
                              Log: Built Phys StaticMesh Cache: 0.005 ms
                              Log: COOKEDPHYSICS: 0 TriMeshes (0.000000 KB), 0 Convex Hulls (0.000000 KB) - Total 0.000000 KB
                              Log: ULevel::BuildStreamingData took 0.007 seconds.
                              Log: COOKEDPHYSICS: BSP 3.83 KB
                              Log: Save=128.620956
                              Log: Moving 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\..\UTGame\Autosaves\Save.tmp' to 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\..\UTGame\Autosaves\UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test.ut3'
                              Cmd: MAP LOAD PLAYWORLD=1 FILE="UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test"
                              Log: Finished looking for orphan Actors (0.008 secs)
                              Log: Game class is 'UTDeathmatch'
                              Log: Primary PhysX scene will be in software.
                              Log: Creating Primary PhysX Scene.
                              Log: Bringing World UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test.TheWorld up for play (0) at 2009.02.28-21.27.56
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_TheCar_Content UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_TheCar_Content_0 (Function UTGame.UTVehicle:InitializeTurrets:0182) Failed to find skeletal controller named GunnerConstraint (Seat 0) for UTVehicle_TheCar_Content_0 in AnimTree TheCar_AnimTree
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_TheCar_Content UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_TheCar_Content_0 (Function UTGame.UTVehicle:InitializeTurrets:0182) Failed to find skeletal controller named GunnerConstraintYaw (Seat 0) for UTVehicle_TheCar_Content_0 in AnimTree TheCar_AnimTree
                              Log: USkeletalMeshComponent::GetBoneLocation : Could not find bone: SecondaryTurretYaw
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_TheCar_Content UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_TheCar_Content_0 (Function UTGame.UTVehicle:InitializeTurrets:0182) Failed to find skeletal controller named TurretConstraintPitch (Seat 1) for UTVehicle_TheCar_Content_0 in AnimTree TheCar_AnimTree
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_TheCar_Content UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_TheCar_Content_0 (Function UTGame.UTVehicle:InitializeTurrets:0182) Failed to find skeletal controller named TurretConstraintYaw (Seat 1) for UTVehicle_TheCar_Content_0 in AnimTree TheCar_AnimTree
                              Log: USkeletalMeshComponent::GetBoneLocation : Could not find bone: MainTurretYaw
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Bulldozer_Content UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Bulldozer_Content_0 (Function Engine.SVehicle:PostInitAnimTree:0049) Accessed None 'Wheel'
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Bulldozer_Content UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Bulldozer_Content_0 (Function Engine.SVehicle:PostInitAnimTree:0051) Attempt to assign variable through None
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Bulldozer_Content UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Bulldozer_Content_0 (Function Engine.SVehicle:PostInitAnimTree:006A) Accessed None 'Wheel'
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Bulldozer_Content UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Bulldozer_Content_0 (Function Engine.SVehicle:PostInitAnimTree:0049) Accessed None 'Wheel'
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Bulldozer_Content UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Bulldozer_Content_0 (Function Engine.SVehicle:PostInitAnimTree:0051) Attempt to assign variable through None
                              ScriptWarning: UTVehicle_Bulldozer_Content UEDPIE_dm-Vehicle_Test.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UTVehicle_Bulldozer_Content_0 (Function Engine.SVehicle:PostInitAnimTree:006A) Accessed None 'Wheel'
                              Log: === Critical error: ===
                              General protection fault!

History: Address = 0x7e4132   (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
                              Address = 0x57f3ed   (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
                              Address = 0x5c02ca   (filename not found) [in C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe]
                              (script)UTGame.UTVehicleFactory:Active.SpawnVehicle
                              (script)UTGame.UTVehicleFactory:Active.BeginState
                              (script)UTGame.UTVehicleFactory:Activate
                              (script)UTGame.UTGame:ActivateVehicleFactory
                              (script)UTGame.UTVehicleFactory:PostBeginPlay
                              Address = 0x100018   (filename not found) 
                              Address = 0x70001    (filename not found) 
                              Address = 0x4743480  (filename not found) 
                              Address = 0x20dc86a0 (filename not found) 

Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
                              Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
                              Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
                              Exit: UALAudioDevice::ShutdownAfterError
                              Log: Shutting down FaceFX...
                              Log: FaceFX shutdown.
                              Exit: Exiting.
                              Exit: Name subsystem shutting down
                              Uninitialized: Log file closed, 02/28/09 21:27:57

I hope this is enough information from the .log file to help with this. Any help which would help solve my problem would be really appreciated. If any more information is required to solve this problem let me know and i'll post it up.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X