Can't rotate emitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't rotate emitter

I've tried everything I can think of to rotate this emitter that I made. I rotated it in the map using the rotation widget, I've hit F4 and rotated it in the Properties Under Emitter -> PrimitiveComponent -> Rotation, I've tried adding a rotation modifier in Cascade, and NONE of it actually rotates the stupid thing!

It's emitting forward right now, I just want it to emit UP instead. Help!

The particle system probably projects into a particular direction. You have to create an alternative version of the particle system that uses the direction you require.

Comment

Isn't that what bUseLocalSpace is for in emitter properties within cascade?

Comment

That may well be the issue, it certainly sounds correct.

Comment

I would have to look at the particular particle system in question to be able to say anything certain, but you should be able to rotate it with the standard rotation widget in the viewport and it should respect that. Perhaps you have the button that looks like a standard cursor to the left of the transform widget buttons in the toolbar toggled on preventing you from being able to move, rotate or scale anything?

The function of bUseLocalSpace is evident if you do try rotating in the viewport. With it unchecked, when you rotate an emitter, any particles already spawned within the world will continue in the direction they were moving because they are using world space. If it is checked, as you rotate the emitter, all particles even those already spawned will rotate with the emitter following it as they are using local space.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I had bUseLocalSpace checked at one point when I was trying to figure it out. I'm at work right now, but I'll check it out when I get home, and post some screenshots if that doesn't solve the problem.

Comment

Again, bUseLocalSpace is irrelevant to whether an emitter can be rotated in the viewport. It simply alters how the particles being rotated behave. That "should" not be the cause not the solution to what you are experiencing.

Comment

The emitter uses a static mesh. There isn't anything in the static mesh settings in Cascade for rotation is there? That just occurred to me. I thought I looked just about everywhere...

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                  Again, bUseLocalSpace is irrelevant to whether an emitter can be rotated in the viewport. It simply alters how the particles being rotated behave. That "should" not be the cause not the solution to what you are experiencing.
                  I just loaded up the editor and started playing around with it. bUseLocalSpace does not matter as you said if the particle system has initial velocity all by itself, but acceleration seems to ignore rotation unless bUseLocalSpace is true. Unless there is something else to make acceleration, accelerate in the direction in which the emitter is rotated, bUseLocalSpace seems to be the solution.

Comment

Originally posted by SynaGl0w View Post
                    I just loaded up the editor and started playing around with it. bUseLocalSpace does not matter as you said if the particle system has initial velocity all by itself, but acceleration seems to ignore rotation unless bUseLocalSpace is true. Unless there is something else to make acceleration, accelerate in the direction in which the emitter is rotated, bUseLocalSpace seems to be the solution.
                    That makes sense. I assumed it was a velocity based emitter.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                      That makes sense. I assumed it was a velocity based emitter.
                      Well I have no idea what's being used in his emitter. But if the acceleration is too great and the initial velocity too low, rotating the emitter will have little effect.

Comment

I'll post some screenshots tonight. I didn't think to do it this morning.

Comment

Here's the emitter window. What info do you guys need?

Comment

Ok, so the particles in your emitter aren't moving judging by that screenshot which means rotating the emitter will do nothing. I believe you'll have to use an Initial Mesh Rotation module to rotate the particles themselves.

Comment

InitMeshRotation did it. I essentially looked back at the particle system that i stole the effect from (the EMP going off) and ripped those settings, and modded them slightly. Thanks for the help guys!!

Comment

Working...
                              X