Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

weather cycle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    weather cycle

    I am trying to make a weather cycle for my map so that after a certain amount of time has elapsed, the weather changes. I was experimenting with using the rain cube static mesh in UN_Weather. I set it's material to rain and tried to use kismet to change the material (set material) but it didn't work. Any ideas?

    #2
    Originally posted by eviltenchi View Post
    I am trying to make a weather cycle for my map so that after a certain amount of time has elapsed, the weather changes. I was experimenting with using the rain cube static mesh in UN_Weather. I set it's material to rain and tried to use kismet to change the material (set material) but it didn't work. Any ideas?
    In DM-Tomac-WE, "I" have a Kismet sequence that makes it snow + change fog color/density when the Udamage is taken. It reverses when it expires. Rinse and repeat.

    All together it was a group project and I was about to start making a tutorial for it, but will need one person in particular to help me as I don't know how he did specific things.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Odedge View Post
      ...but will need one person in particular to help me as I don't know how he did specific things.
      I'm asking me who can be this guy?!!

      Eviltenchi,
      I think you need some "MIC Materials", "Material Instance" actor and kismet/Matinee seq to do that.
      But not shure of what you want, can you explain exactly?
      I mean you want rain appear/disapear, sky become more darker or change it's material...

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
        I'm asking me who can be this guy?!!
        I wonder who?

        I started to write the tutorial of the sequence for DM-Tomac-WE and I think I understand what "he" did to make it happen. I have to add the sound section, which is easy.

        Then I have to see if I can follow my own instructions!

        Comment


          #5
          Is it me? =P

          Comment


            #6
            I wanted the sky to start on a dark sky, then to rain, then to heavy rain with some lightning. I tried to play around with the Material instance actor but I'm not really sure how it works (im a noob).

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by eviltenchi View Post
              I wanted the sky to start on a dark sky, then to rain, then to heavy rain with some lightning. I tried to play around with the Material instance actor but I'm not really sure how it works (im a noob).
              we are all noobs you know

              First MIC allow you to change dynamicaly (or not) some properties of a material without alter the parent material.
              So for the rain, the method I use in Tomac WE could do the job. Take a look to my kismet seq inside to have more info how I manage that.
              Basicaly, just put several rain stock mesh around your map, according to where you want rainning, and make a MIC with the stock rain material (maybe you will need to make a copy of it, don't remember if it have a param on it) as parent and apply on them.
              After put a "material instance" actor on your map and put the name of your MIC inside.
              Then keep this actor selectionned and open the kismet.
              Make a new matinee track to control the alpha parameter of the rain material.
              So by this way, you can make appear/disapear the rain with fade when you want.
              It's a bit fast explaination, sorry I'm not at home, if you want more info or help, PM me

              Comment


                #8
                Yeah, the MIC is definitely the way to go. Especially for lightening and darkening skies. I haven't messed much with weather materials, but I'd guess you could get a nice effect in either situation by using linear interp nodes to blend your materials.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Tikithehut View Post
                  Yeah, the MIC is definitely the way to go...
                  Yes,
                  and thx to you for have tell me the magic world "material instance actor" when I looked for make a kind of same stuff too

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I just take a look to the rain stock material.
                    You will have to make a copy of it on your map package and add a "scalar parameter" link to the opacity of the material via a "multiply" expression with the rain texture sample.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
                      Yes,
                      and thx to you for have tell me the magic world "material instance actor" when I looked for make a kind of same stuff too
                      NP, I aim to please

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by TheAgent View Post
                        Is it me? =P
                        You were the one who really help me get the sequence started, which I am grateful.

                        Originally posted by Tikithehut View Post
                        NP, I aim to please
                        I also have to thank you for helping SEBASTIEN-NOVA finalize the Kismet sequence in DM-Tomac-WE, which looks awesome.

                        I am trying to figure out what "he" did and write a tutorial to help others, as all three of you have helped me.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          This might be helpful to look at, it has very complicated dynamic weather.

                          DM-Gothic2008 : http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=618605

                          It starts out a clear night sky, then clouds come over, which turn into darker clouds (and thunder), then it rains with lightning, then eventually clears over into a morning sky and stops raining.
                          The way I set it up, it can swap from one state to any other smoothly with just a single kismet command (so the changes could be totally random)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by sneh View Post
                            This might be helpful to look at, it has very complicated dynamic weather...
                            It starts out a clear night sky, then clouds come over, which turn into darker clouds (and thunder), then it rains with lightning, then eventually clears over into a morning sky and stops raining.
                            The way I set it up, it can swap from one state to any other smoothly with just a single kismet command (so the changes could be totally random)
                            Looks interesting, I will check this map

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I can't open DM-Gothic2008, just crashes the editor

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X