• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang Em High (Download Now!)

LATEST UPDATE: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...3#post25889133
    Go Download It!

-------------------------------------------------
    So more than 3 years ago i remade Hang em High for UT2004, and i loved the original level so much that i'm Redoing it this time for UT3.. However, i figured i should learn something instead of just redoing such a BSP happy level, so this time i'm going all out. I've ripped the textures from Halo: Custom Edition, updating the Normal Maps and detail textures, added speculars and repainted their cube maps. I'm having alot of fun trying to recreate the texture's look in Halo1, and i wanted to get some feedback on my progress so far, so heres a quick comparison:

Also, keep in mind that Halo's FOV is much less than UT3's, so it's map looks larger in the screen shots, and secondly, i'm currently using Halo's original textures for Diffuse, and have remade normals and tweaked plenty of details myself.. I might repaint the diffuse maps too something higher rez and nicer if i find the time, but these are pretty nice looking already.

Update: I changed the floors this morning. I noticed Halo's floors weren't exactly clean, so i added a bit of UT flare to the mix with the grime gleaming off in the light, i think it looks pretty wicked ^^

Comment

Well sure man it does keep up the good work. Loved the halo series btw

Comment

Originally posted by Hackerx72 View Post
        Well sure man it does keep up the good work. Loved the halo series btw
        Thanks! So after some trial and error, my HeH wasn't turning out to be in proportion with the original. I've managed to find a few programs that actually Exported the entire level into a .obj format. Well, it's mesh anyways. The thing was pretty useless.. Anyways, i imported the geometry as a static mesh and scaled it untill i felt the player could run around it comfortably, and from there i started tracing it with real bsp and such so that i could texture and light the level properly.. Really, and i'm kinda ashamed, but it's like using tracing paper. In the end, it's turning out to be a perfect recreation, geometry wise, and i'm just updating it's looks and making it work for a UT3 player.. MasterChief seems to be able to climb up Much steeper slopes. Heres Today's work:

The original Hang em High mesh is hidden, cause really, it's just a big blob of nasty grey and gunk.

Comment

weren't you on the HaloUT team?
          -EJon

Comment

Originally posted by EpicJon View Post
            weren't you on the HaloUT team?
            -EJon
            Yes.. Yes i was. >.>

Comment

Looks pretty good already. I am definitely looking forward to this map getting completed. But are you thinking about incorporating any aspects of the Halo 2 remake of Hang em, I think it was called tombstone, into your map?

Comment

Originally posted by The Decoy View Post
                Looks pretty good already. I am definitely looking forward to this map getting completed. But are you thinking about incorporating any aspects of the Halo 2 remake of Hang em, I think it was called tombstone, into your map?
                Well, i honestly havn't played Halo2 In a long time, i need to find it and look at Tombstone. Honestly, i wasn't planning on doing so at all. What i'd like to do is, once i finish this straight up remake, i'd like to use Halo3's forrunner scheme and simply.. Update it.

Comment

New pics! And alot of new work, i believe the only thing left to do is add the tombstones, then i can get to weapons and pathing.

Comment

Awesome remake

Just got done with my first play through and I must admit I enjoyed it quite a bit. Even though it's UT it still kept a Halo feel to it. I think it was not only the map itself being a Halo map but also in the way the the weapons were positioned throughout the map. I was able to run my old routes from Halo 1 and get some good kill streaks going.
                    I was wondering if there was a website or forum thread that has tutorials on how I could do something like this myself? I have the UT3 collectors edition so I'm slowly learning how to build my own stuff but from what it sounds like you where able to take the geometry and textures from Halo CE. I am curious if you are limited to map geometry and textures or can you rip other stuff like character models and animations too?

Comment

Models are trickier. Mind you what i ripped was very Un-useful It was a big grey mesh with missing polys thanks to a poor exporter, and atop of that, theres no collision for the thing, so really in the end i could only trace it..

However, if you were to export all the textures, bmp's, cubemaps, and the Models from a map and spend a great deal of time in 3ds max putting it back together, you could essentially make a decent, completely static mesh map in UT, for instance, back on the Halo-UT team, somebody completely ported Prisoner as a giant static mesh for UT2004.

Exporting Animations i think would be rather difficult, you'd have an even harder time finding the right exporter, and in the end, Master Chief uses an entirely different Rig than in UT, so i think you'd best be off making you're own animations, surely it'd be simpler. And finally, sound wise, i did managed to pull out the sounds in Halo's native ".sound" format, and luckily Audacity was able to open em up, so i could save them as .wav's, which is how i got the orignal Ambience of Hang em High behind the music.

Comment

Working...
                      X