Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Work In Progress" - An image thread for everyone!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol.. Aligning is hard, perhaps you could tell since these are all embossed and bumpmap textures.
    That means that they all have one shadow side on the edges which makes it extremely hard to align perfectly
    Yet its going well.
    I chose a thick, slightly lighter metallic-black trim now.
    And its starting to look good.

Comment

Originally posted by TKBS View Post
      Align Your textures !!!

- your like me- finally get a screenshot together; upload the image- and then it is painfully noticeable that the textures are not aligned.. LOL

- i hate this too; *i feel these pains LMAO

Nice looking pictures. Good job on the shadowing so far.
      I like the brick ground texture Blends in perfectly with the chosen theme.

Though, there is an over-use of that green-ish light in the second pic.
      Might be distracting in terms of gameplay.
      If you would remove 4 of the 8 lights you would still keep the same lightning since I can tell you dont have any pointlights set up around those green LED lights. The lightning looks created by the Skylight with a higher brightness Dynamic Light

Comment

Tips for perfect Textures/ material geometry
        [personal opinion:]- remove the shadow from the texture - and make it look perfectly aligned - it will be worth it
        Code:
        * If your texture is 512 x 512 - then your geometry should be similar.- Alignment is childs play
        * By using Cubes you should not have any room for misaligned textures.
        * You can see the joins/ so maybe move your geometry to suit your needs.
        Remember * Geometry editor + texture alignment is your friend ..
        - Try to keep your geometry on the Grid & Use these Set dimensions/[512/256/128--- or combinations]
        -128 + 64 = 192 [also a good number to use]ETC ETC

Note:
        **/ sometimes you{{/we all}}have to compensate the geometry you[we] want to better suit the textures/ materials. << This is crucial when making "Holp + repeating patterns"

- example your last image;
        - Slanted ramps make nice varied geometry- but unless they are '1 or 2 cubes width' it looks a bit nasty-
        - 1.0386[strange sizes] cubes sizes are just weird. - Stick to nice numbers that the engine can use. - for both textures and geometry

p.s.
        - your statement about my images is very much appreciated,
        * i totally agree that i should remove some of the static mesh lights [Thank you ]

- As always - thanks for feedback Umm...
        but its completely wrong LOL
        I can tell you dont have any pointlights set up around those green LED lights
        - i must admit its a lil disappointing

*1. I see no green. << where do you see green?
        *2. what Green LED's? Lol
        *3. I use lights/ light functions/ light volumes and special materials --
        *4. My sky lights only effect specific static mesh
        *5. i see alot of pointlights LMAO

^^ that is only the lights that are directly within the effected area [many off scene tricks + lights working.]

- p.s. blue + yellow = "green" - some form of basic color understanding here helps explain what your talking about.
        - my walls have blue - so blue + light blue+ yellow = Turquoise - or sea blue/ green

* Keep up the good work; i know that texture alignment is a nightmare when you have not used proper units; so good luck

you can tell - ROFl

Ignore the second image- Its udk

- And thank you for your time and thoughts; always appreciated.

Comment

oh and the geometry is good btw; much better than my square **** lol

Comment

Hey tbks you could add to your signature some of your map you've done to date I dont remember if you did any map ...

Comment

i dont use "Show signature" on long posts- the rubbish i write is long enuff LOL

- i also do not know how to make words into clickable links
              -Thanks for your interest but my 20 something maps are ****

Comment

Tips for perfect Textures/ material geometry
                [personal opinion:]- remove the shadow from the texture - and make it look perfectly aligned - it will be worth it
                Code:
                * If your texture is 512 x 512 - then your geometry should be similar.- Alignment is childs play
                * By using Cubes you should not have any room for misaligned textures.
                * You can see the joins/ so maybe move your geometry to suit your needs.
                Remember * Geometry editor + texture alignment is your friend ..
                - Try to keep your geometry on the Grid & Use these Set dimensions/[512/256/128--- or combinations]
                -128 + 64 = 192 [also a good number to use]ETC ETC

Note:
                **/ sometimes you{{/we all}}have to compensate the geometry you[we] want to better suit the textures/ materials. << This is crucial when making "Holp + repeating patterns"

- example your last image;
                - Slanted ramps make nice varied geometry- but unless they are '1 or 2 cubes width' it looks a bit nasty-
                - 1.0386[strange sizes] cubes sizes are just weird. - Stick to nice numbers that the engine can use. - for both textures and geometry

p.s.
                - your statement about my images is very much appreciated,
                * i totally agree that i should remove some of the static mesh lights [Thank you ]

- As always - thanks for feedback Umm...
                but its completely wrong LOL

- i must admit its a lil disappointing

*1. I see no green. << where do you see green?
                *2. what Green LED's? Lol
                *3. I use lights/ light functions/ light volumes and special materials --
                *4. My sky lights only effect specific static mesh
                *5. i see alot of pointlights LMAO

^^ that is only the lights that are directly within the effected area [many off scene tricks + lights working.]

- p.s. blue + yellow = "green" - some form of basic color understanding here helps explain what your talking about.
                - my walls have blue - so blue + light blue+ yellow = Turquoise - or sea blue/ green

* Keep up the good work; i know that texture alignment is a nightmare when you have not used proper units; so good luck

Ignore the second image- Its udk

- And thank you for your time and thoughts; always appreciated.
                What do you mean with "Nasty" ? lol
                And i dont even know if thats supposedly to be good or bad coming from your side xD
                Lol.

And weird geometry sizes is no problem lol. I have been staying on the Grid absolutely perfectly.
                Following some lines of HOLP using 128 - 256 - 512 - 1024. Thanks to Sly for that.

For the picture you posted, is completly different then the one I was talking about.
                Look again to your previous post - the SECOND picture.
                It shows 8 green lights in a row attached to ceiling.

Comment

- none of this image is final; but i think im getting closer to the basic idea of what i want.

- i get side tracked too much;
                  - Also where is all the other mappers; ?

maybe some of the udk content for ut3 would encourage others to continue making maps:

Comment

Loving that rock...do you have a UT3 compatible version of it?

Comment

That is ut3

- And since you have permission for the Unreal -to- UT3 conversion project "Legacy" i think this mesh pack will work well for you

- If you want it let me know; but its not 100% finished and it will be 500mb
                      - i still have some of the rain parameters to do - and some false world positions-
                      - all the stuff UDK has but ut3 does not, i will have to fake these.

- also i will probably not inclue the skeletal mesh [just encase it breaks the EULA]

Comment

I hope Epic have no Quarms with releasing this...

UDK Foliage Demo UPK for UT3[

* Sorry about the Low quality images.But the content looks great
                        * i am considering making the UDK Showcase map for UT3 to publish the files; but im not sure yet; i might just release it as a "UPK/ Content only"
                        - any thoughts ~?

Comment

Are you going to release solo map?

UDK Foliage Demo UPK for UT3[

Great! Is there a way to release the mesh separately? (it's better than mapping with an external package)

Comment

you have a few options:

- download the Unpublished file + duplicate the items you want into a new 'upk'
                            - wait for the Published file + map// and then duplicate the items you want into a new 'upk'
                            - export the individual mesh you want from udk yourself

* I realized it does not take alot to do this- so im doing it

- sorry about the premature photo; but its a lil exciting to see such rapid progress with nice results

- i suppose DM would be the laziest and easiest map to build;

Comment

When I first saw UDK demo trailer, I was amazed by the meshes quality & the map ofc & I thought that I could build some awesome looking maps with the UDK assets. I just forgot about it because I don't think Epic would be happy that mappers / moders rip UDK content to use it in UT3. I didn't want to have conflicts or whatever issues about legal / copyright stuff & since my English is limited I didn't wanted to bother with a possible mapping issue trying to explain myself in a non native language.

I'm happy you did the job, the assets look awesome & your map too And where is the dwn link ?????????

Comment

I think I've read someday that the import of UDK assets into UT3 wasn't allowed, but I'm not sure.. However, your picture looks great!

Comment

Working...
                                X