Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulley system that raises a bridge

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a pulley system whereby there are two containers on either side of a bridge. If the player shoots the container on side side the bridge will raise. If they shoot the container on the other side the bridge will lower. It is a basic weighted system that raises a bridge, but I have been at it for hours and have not figured it out. Does anyone have any idea the combination of pulleys, other constraint actors and karma/static mesh actors I would have to use? Thanks a bunch!

i'm sure it could be done within kismet. Try using triggers that react by weapon impact, and they would activate a mover, which would raise or lower the bridge.

Comment

I have no problems doing it in kismet, but my coder thinks it best to do it with physics and physics would obviously give the most "realistic" result. Can something like this even be done with physics do ya think?

Comment

Originally posted by DuxMagnus View Post
        physics would obviously give the most "realistic" result.
        A game engine's rather rough approach to physics might not provide more realistic results than a simple mover. Either approach should work, but either way it'll be the finetuning that determines realism.

The physics approach is more error/exploit prone. For instance, what if a well-placed tank shot throws one of the weights into a position where it gets stuck?

Comment

You can use InterpActors (Movers) to do the brunt of the design, however, there is no reason why you can't have a couple of physics objects for visual effect. Just be sure to set the constraints tight enough that they can't be knocked into any position that sticks.

Comment

Working...
          X