Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Activating impulse witohut jumping

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to move a ramp up and down by just walking to either end of it. Picture a see-saw. When I walk to one end, I want that end to go down, when i walk to the other end I want that end to go down and the other to go up. I am simply using a Kactor static mesh with a physical material. However, I can only get either end to go down by jumping on it. Is there anyway to make it move up and down merely by walking to either end?

I see something in the actor class called radial force actor and radial impulse actor. Would these help?

Thanks in advance.

If it's a single player thing it might be possible to try using one of the cylindrical force actors set up with a weak downward-pushing force, then use the "Attach to Actor" node in Kismet to attach it to the player at the beginning of the level. I have no idea if it'd work or not, but it could be worth a try.

Another alternative would be to just use a mover with triggers attached to either end and then use matinee animations for tilting one way or another. I did a similar kind of see-saw set up for one of my puzzles in the Ball which was somewhat convincing, but takes a lot of fiddling in Kismet to get it to behave properly.

Comment

Hello again,

I have it working in Kismet that si no problem. But my coder is insistent that we get it to work with physics. I have a cylindrical force actor attached to my rigid body through kismet and it should activate at level startup given that I have that node attached to the sequence as well. Is there anything I should be playing with in the settings of the cylindrical force actor to get it to work?

Comment

I think he meant attach it to the player, not to the rigid body. Should work if you do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
          If it's a single player thing it might be possible to try using one of the cylindrical force actors set up with a weak downward-pushing force, then use the "Attach to Actor" node in Kismet to attach it to the player at the beginning of the level. I have no idea if it'd work or not, but it could be worth a try.

Another alternative would be to just use a mover with triggers attached to either end and then use matinee animations for tilting one way or another. I did a similar kind of see-saw set up for one of my puzzles in the Ball which was somewhat convincing, but takes a lot of fiddling in Kismet to get it to behave properly.
          How exactly do i setup a weak downward pushing force? I tried doing it your way and, while the actor does have physics, it is barely moving at all.

Comment

I just did some experimenting and it looks like the force actors don't affect things on hinges, so I guess that idea's out. I can't think of anything else that wouldn't give weird results I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
            X