Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynamic Post Process/Speed Streaking Volume/Screen Overlay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynamic Post Process/Speed Streaking Volume/Screen Overlay?

Hey Guys,

I'm working on a new project that's all about speed. The rough effect of what I'm going for is the way the camera seems to get tunnel vision in say Spider-Man or Burnout games when you're going really fast - everything in the perephiry streaks and blurs while things in the center stay focused, and this effect gets more intense the faster you're going.

Does anyone know if this is possible in UT3? I was thinking that it would somehow have to involve a post-process volume, but I'm not quite sure how. Has anyone ever seen this done in the engine, or know of a good way it could be done?

Thanks in advance for any help/leads guys, I really appreciate it.

Perhaps a masked motion blur and an increasing field of view angle? Not sure how this is done though...

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, so then... are post-process volume properties editable at runtime? Or will I have to make a custom class for that?

Comment

Not sure, haven't played around with post process volumes that much yet. But if they're toggleable, why shouldn't they be editable during play? But the question is if you can go through that with Kismet or will you need UScript for it to work...

Comment

Volumes are location dependent, not movement dependent. If I'm not mistaken you need a camera animation, like that annoying flashing red stuff when you take damage.

Comment

You can change PP during run time, but to a limit. Stuff like increased FOV, camera shakes and DOF can be done with kismet and camera animations. It's a lot of fun actually :>

If you want to add PP materials on the camera however (such as water splashes or the blood effect from impact hammer kills), you need code unfortunately.

Comment

Xyx's suggestion would be better for what you're trying to accomplish. I would look into the damage flash instead of PP volumes.

Comment

Don't use post processing volumes at all, and instead drive post processing in code. You can dynamically change any part of the post processing at run-time, using techniques I described in one of my tutorials - motion blur is easy to modify in this manner, although adding a mask in the post-process chain isn't covered. I'd look at how the red-damage mask is implemented.

Comment

ambershee, do you have a link to that tutorial?

Comment

Originally posted by JMeisse View Post
                    I second that

Thanks for all the great info guys, I really appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by JMeisse View Post
                      Maybe one of these: http://www.moddb.com/members/ambershee/tutorials

Comment

what would it take to load a post process effect from the generic browser in a script rather than define all of it's settings within the script?

Comment

Working...
                        X