No announcement yet.

Maya or Max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i use xsi mod tool at home now instead of maya ple and its a great bit of kit and i find it as easy to use as maya. Our design department at work uses maya and max and all of the guys their seem to prefer maya. I actually found max to be hard to pick up and use compared to maya but then i am no pro modeller. I tried blender a few weeks ago but ouch how i hate the poly cut tools. At the end of the day try them all and see what works best for you.

Comment

I think the other reason why I never have enough money for 3ds Max is because by the time I had enough money to buy it, I just blow it all on a gaming rig...

I actually had more than enough about 1-2 years ago... but at that time I needed a new gaming machine, since my old one was an upgraded box from 2004. I guess I should build a budget machine next time and save some money for software tools (budget machine: better than a QX6700 Quad Core with 2 8800 GTX cards in SLI, 4 GB Ram, and 2 terabytes of hard drive space...).

3Ds Max is still in a list of software tools that I should buy... my list of software tools comes to a total of about $12,000, none of which I have the money for. Then by the time I have enough money to buy one of those software tools, my computer is outdated and I need to build a new one.

Then the cycle repeats itself...

Comment

Just keep updateing the one you have till it cant be updated any more.

Kind of anoying when the software to put on the computer costs more than the rig you need to run it.

Comment

I just started using blender and learning how to do stuff in 3d about two weeks ago. I've gotta say it does what it needs to. And its free.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
            Maya is less expensive, but I prefer Max since it imho is more "Windows" compliant in UI and seems to be more intuitive to me, plus I've been using it (legally) for over 15 years.

If you can get the student edition that will save you a lot of bucks.
            Otherwise Blender is free.
            like 15 ears ago?

did 3d even existed back then???

Comment

Originally posted by dinkelstefan View Post
              like 15 ears ago?

To answer that question literally... yes it did. Behold!

Comment

Ah the good old days of doom.

Yes the inviroment is 3D but the characters and bots you shoot are actualy 2D. Quake was the first to have 3D characters if I remeber correctly.

But ID's first work with a 3D enviroment you could move around wolfenstien has been around longer than 15 years I think I may have to check thair website for it.

... And clean out my mind once in a wile theres to much useless junk in it.

Comment

I figured I would reference Doom since he mentioned 15 years... Doom was released on December 10, 1993.

To get back to information concerning 3D 15 years ago there is a 3ds max release history on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3ds_Max_release_history

3D Studio DOS... oh yeah!

Comment

I use Maya's Personal Learning edition. It's a free, albeit slightly stripped down version of Maya 8.5. So far i've had no problems with it, although i'm still learning the ropes

Comment

Originally posted by dinkelstefan View Post
                      like 15 ears ago?

Yes.
                      I started doing 2D/3D stuff shortly after high-school. I was into assembler programming before that, starting at about the age of 15.
                      I was using 3D Studio R2 DOS (legal) to do forensics and architectural design and walk-throughs in 1993 and on for a number of years.

I started using Autodesk software back in 1989 with Autodesk Animator, then Ani Pro and Ani Studio (piece of junk).
                      When 3D Studio shipped, I started using it at R2, then R4 (I had to save up the money so I didn't get R1).
                      I no longer have any of those around here as most of my DOS stuff was tossed away, but I still have my Max 1, Max 4, and of course Max 9, 2008, 2009 (I'm on the Autodesk Subscription).

Comment

Working...
                      X