Maya or Max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maya or Max?

Not too sure if this should be in "general chat" sorry if it needs moving, but I figured all the artists would be in this forum to answer

So, to my question.. Maya Or 3DS Max?

I love feel and work flow of Maya, for modeling at least, But I love the simplicity of 3D Studio Max.

Im not a pro designer by any means but i've done enough tuts in both to get the ideas to do stuff, and to be honest, unless you've been doing it for a long time its very difficult to be independently creative, so hats off to all you fantastic artists who've been making UT stuff for us over the years!

i prefer maya but the actor X plugin seams to have trouble with exporting collision geometry i have to export it as a separate ase than import it as a brush shape and save the brush as an objects collision total pain in the *** don't know/doubt this is a problem with the max plugin

Comment

Great name you got there.

Well from seeing alot of non UT artests theres alot more people useing 3DSMax and that program seems to stick. That way you know there will be enough support easely for your work your trying to do.

Comment

Too much money invloved... yeah I am cheap...

I prefer Blender, but that is because I took the time to learn the alien interface.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazimira View Post
          Great name you got there.

Thanks dude, Back in the day I remember the Real Loque from bot match kickin my butt, I always wanted a scary presence when playing online! I have even practiced some of his trade mark moves, Like the jump up straight from side to side thingie, sad life but it does actually confuse some peeps.. Just gotta keep mixing it up

Comment

Maya Complete 2009 - $1,995.00
            3ds Max 2009 - $3,495.00
            Maya Unlimited 2009 - $4,995.00

Blender - $0.00

*sigh* It looks like I'm learning blender...

Comment

Blender is a good way to. I picked up 3dsmax for $100 for 13 months student pricing. http://www.studica.com/products/prod...roductid=56026

Comment

Thanks dude, Back in the day I remember the Real Loque from bot match kickin my butt, I always wanted a scary presence when playing online! I have even practiced some of his trade mark moves, Like the jump up straight from side to side thingie, sad life but it does actually confuse some peeps.. Just gotta keep mixing it up
                If you cant beat them join them *grins* I am now able to beat Loque on UT99 but back then I stunk. Just shows what a good pair of glasses does.

Well with a name like that and practiseing like that you've already got my respect.

Comment

Maya is less expensive, but I prefer Max since it imho is more "Windows" compliant in UI and seems to be more intuitive to me, plus I've been using it (legally) for over 15 years.

If you can get the student edition that will save you a lot of bucks.
                  Otherwise Blender is free.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
                    Maya is less expensive, but I prefer Max since it imho is more "Windows" compliant in UI and seems to be more intuitive to me, plus I've been using it (legally) for over 15 years.

If you can get the student edition that will save you a lot of bucks.
                    Otherwise Blender is free.
                    Nicely put DGUnreal!

Comment

I use
                      3Ds MAX 2009
                      ZBrush 3.1
                      Adobe Photoshop CS3
                      Bodypaint 3D
                      Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI,

I find that I have to use them all to do what I do ,

Comment

Modeling seems to cost alot to do.

Comment

They are just tools and nothing more.
                          Choose what you are comfortable with, what you like in terms of layout and modeling. Once you master the modeling principles they can be applied no matter what software you use.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazimira View Post
                            Modeling seems to cost alot to do.

Yeah quite a lot of money goes into the programs,

Comment

3DS max is the one I know the most about, But now I'm learning Blender ^^ I think it's a pretty cute app...Maya is pretty cool except the work flow seems a little strange to me, I was looking at XSI mod tools a few days ago I was kinda impressed feels good.

Comment

Working...
                              X