Lens Flare .. Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens Flare .. Solution

Creating a new lens flare will crash the editor, however editing an existing lens flare works fine. Since you can't duplicate them into another package, heres what to do...

1. In generic browser, Open an existing stock lensflare package (../CookedPC/Effects/FX_LensFlares.upk)
    2. Double-click a lensflare to open it in the lensflare editor
    3. Click Edit->"Save package", and save the package elsewhere (saves the entire package)
    4. Open this new file, and rename/duplicate what you want out of it into your map file / etc..
    5. You can now edit this one, and it will not crash the lensflare editor

Doesn't make sense, but it works

That's weird... I made a lens flare in the lens flare editor and added it to my map without any problems...

Comment

Originally posted by Demno View Post
      That's weird... I made a lens flare in the lens flare editor and added it to my map without any problems...
      hmm.. thats possibly worse than it just not working at all, because I can't do anything about it.. I do know many others have the editor crash though.. Very weird

I still hope it's something like a driver or something.. The map is a remake and it neeeds lots of lensflares..

Help!

Comment

seriously... does anyone else have this issue?
        Has anyone fixed or worked around this issue?

Comment

Ok, so nobody uses this or it just somehow works for them I give up
          (but please still help if you know!!!!)

Comment

lens flares work just fine in UT3, they're just a bit more complex to use than in previous versions.

Comment

Originally posted by BIOS View Post
              lens flares work just fine in UT3, they're just a bit more complex to use than in previous versions.
              Just wish I could use the lensflare editor without the whole editor crashing instantly - doesnt even matter which setting I try to change.

Are you saying you can create a new lensflare, edit it, and not crash?

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post
                Are you saying you can create a new lensflare, edit it, and not crash?
                yes, that is exactly what i did. have you tried modifying the epic lens flares, and then saving them in your own package?

Comment

Maybe it is not connected directly to the flare itself, but some rendering crashes?
                  Have you tried switching to wireframe all views, including the perspective one, and then apply the changes?
                  I know it is a long shot, but maybe, just maybe it will work...

Another possible walkaround - copy the objects which you want to change properties of to a completly empty map, change them hoping it will not disrupt the editor, and then copy back...
                  Also, maybe you can export the object into the text file and modify it there...

Comment

Originally posted by BIOS View Post
                    yes, that is exactly what i did. have you tried modifying the epic lens flares, and then saving them in your own package?
                    not really.. I had a really quick look, but "duplicate" was greyed out so I just figured you couldn't do it that way (I assume then you can save it through the lensflare editor into another package? I'll give it a try..)

Comment

Originally posted by sneh View Post
                      not really.. I had a really quick look, but "duplicate" was greyed out so I just figured you couldn't do it that way (I assume then you can save it through the lensflare editor into another package? I'll give it a try..)
                      Look at the sticky post at the top of this forum.

Comment

Ok I got it working! (and thanks BIOS for pointing me in the right direction)

It doesn't really make sense, but I guess the editor is just buggy when you try to make a new one.

I'll just put the steps I took at the top, since I really couldn't find anything much searching here or even google - lens flares in ut3 barely get a mention anywhere (except a couple posts by people who have already tried, and failed to get it working) and the solution is not the way I would have ever thought you have to do it.

Hopefully this helps someone

(now I just have to figure out how to stop them showing through walls, lol!)

Comment

Working...
                        X