Stasis pods preventing cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Well, here's some additional info as I ran into the problem again and couldn't fix it with the way I described. So yes, I got the dreaded "Couldn't find seek free..." bull **** again. All I did was import a texture and create a new material from it and lastly applied to a surface. Each time I cooked, it failed. SO, I deleted the material and the imported texture. I then imported the same texture i deleted, but into a different package. Created a new material in that package, applied, saved, cooked, everything is dandy again.

My assumption (which is most likely wrong) is that a package has a limit of some kind. I don't know what that limit is, be it size, number of "objects", or whatever.

I seriously wish I had access to Epic's bug database or something.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Idiot View Post
    So, I've had a similar problem with the error: "Couldn't find seek free bulk data info: MipLevel_4 for Texture2D..."

How I got it:
    I like to make my own materials, but I'm still rather new to it. In any case I made a material by importing my custom made texture and hooking up appropriately. I applied the material to a surface and thought, wouldn't it just be dandy if i lightened it up a snooch. So I imported a different, slightly modified custom texture I made. I duplicated the material I applied earlier and renamed and opened it up in the material editor. All I did was change the original texture to use the new one. Applying the duplicated material with the changed texture seemed fine and dandy. And it appeared that way until I hit the publish button. This of course led to the unfortunate: "Couldn't find seek free bulk data info: MipLevel_4 for Texture2D..."

How I fixed it:
    Technically one fix was simply not to use the duplicated material, but that would be pointless. The real fix was that I just made a new material and rigged it up the same way. I applied it and now I'm able to publish just fine. Why the hell duplicating a material and editing it would cause such a pain is unknown to me.

Alternative to duplicating materials for people who want and need to:
    Open the material you wish to duplicate in the material editor and select all objects. Hit CTRL+C, close it out, create a new material, and CTRL+V. Dumb workaround, but it works.

I know your problem had to do with a static mesh, but hopefully my discovery will birth yours.
    Hey thanks for the input. I still have not solved this problem but haven't worked on it lately and it's on the back burner. I'm still working on my level though so I need to fix it at some point.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    An answer maybe kinda-ish

So, I've had a similar problem with the error: "Couldn't find seek free bulk data info: MipLevel_4 for Texture2D..."

How I got it:
    I like to make my own materials, but I'm still rather new to it. In any case I made a material by importing my custom made texture and hooking up appropriately. I applied the material to a surface and thought, wouldn't it just be dandy if i lightened it up a snooch. So I imported a different, slightly modified custom texture I made. I duplicated the material I applied earlier and renamed and opened it up in the material editor. All I did was change the original texture to use the new one. Applying the duplicated material with the changed texture seemed fine and dandy. And it appeared that way until I hit the publish button. This of course led to the unfortunate: "Couldn't find seek free bulk data info: MipLevel_4 for Texture2D..."

How I fixed it:
    Technically one fix was simply not to use the duplicated material, but that would be pointless. The real fix was that I just made a new material and rigged it up the same way. I applied it and now I'm able to publish just fine. Why the hell duplicating a material and editing it would cause such a pain is unknown to me.

Alternative to duplicating materials for people who want and need to:
    Open the material you wish to duplicate in the material editor and select all objects. Hit CTRL+C, close it out, create a new material, and CTRL+V. Dumb workaround, but it works.

I know your problem had to do with a static mesh, but hopefully my discovery will birth yours.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by nomadicus View Post
    Did you delete LT-Morbias in your binaries folder?
    Yes I did.

I was reading DGUnreal's sticky post about files with improper embedded redirection. It mentions problems with the Bonus Pack 1 assets.
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showpo...2&postcount=84

I'm starting to think this might be part of the problem. It looks pretty involved to get that sorted but I will probably try to tackle that at some point.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Did you delete LT-Morbias in your binaries folder?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SmokeRingHalo View Post
    Did you also duplicate the texture & material used into your own package also?
    Okay, it looks like I only duplicated the mesh and the materials but I see there are textures in there. Jeez, I guess I don't understand how this stuff works because the duplicated ones are in my level now and they look fine, they don't look like they are missing anything.

I actually tried twice to duplicate one of the textures associated with the pods and it crashed the editor both times. Honestly, I don't know what I would do with them if I was successful duplicating them. When I duplicated the pods, I had to go into the mesh editor and add the duplicated material. If I can get these textures in, do they get applied to the materials in the material editor? The materials already look correct but maybe they are still referring back to the textures in LT_Morbias.upk. I will try a few more times to see if I can get it duplicated.

Thanks for the interest in this problem guys. Been a little quiet around here lately.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by nomadicus View Post
    Woooaaa! I just checked, \UTGame\CookedPC\Packages\LT-Morbias is not on the original DVD nor the Dedicated Server.
    Where the heck did it come from? Maybe LT_Morbias does indeed have a bug with its stasis pods.
    The Morbias package came with the Epic bonus pack and it ends up in a separate folder "C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\Packages" when you install the pack.

The pods look great and work great uncooked. I used them originally from the LT_Morbias.upk package and then when I found out that they didn't cook, I used the duplication technique described in these forums to duplicate them to my map package to see if that would work but no joy.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Woooaaa! I just checked, \UTGame\CookedPC\Packages\LT-Morbias is not on the original DVD nor the Dedicated Server.
    Where the heck did it come from? Maybe LT_Morbias does indeed have a bug with its stasis pods.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    > "Couldn't find seek free bulk data info: MipLevel_3 for Texture2D LT_Morbias.SM.Mesh.T_LT_Mech_SM_StasisPodGlass_SS_ LT_Mech_SM_StasisPod_Closed"

Which LT_Morbias is this? The stock package or one you have copied? I sort of have lost track . . .

I do know having duplicate package names between stock and My Documents can cause a crash. If that is the case . . .

Try copying LT_Morbias with a different name. Put it in \My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Environments\ and called it LT_Morbias-Alt (or something).
    You will have to recook that package itself. That will most likely require some sort of test map with a single reference to something known to work. The point is, you have to get a clean published version of LT_Morbias-Alt before proceeding.

Now, create a test map to see if the \published\ version of LT_Morbias-Alt works. Or, if it is not too much work, move all references in your map from the old to the new.

edit: In thinking about it, what I just wrote is some what of a long shot. This is really strange but incorrectly using external packages in your My Documents/My Games/ . . . folder can wreak havoc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Check your \Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\ folders (not My Documents. The one in \Program Files\). There can be absolutely no packages whatsoever.
    Also, delete all the cache files in both \CookedPC\ folders.
    Last but not least, delete the temp files in C:\Documents and Settings\<loginID>\Local Settings\Temp\
    I sort of doubt this will fix it, but at least will eliminate one set of problems.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by M^vL View Post
    I then duplicated it into my own map package and pointed all of my instantiations of it to my package. My map still won't cook unless I remove the stasis pods. Anyone have any ideas what is going on with those?
    Did you also duplicate the texture & material used into your own package also?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Finally got around to trying to fix this problem. Here's my error log:

>>
    Critical: appError called:
    Critical: Couldn't find seek free bulk data info: MipLevel_3 for Texture2D LT_Morbias.SM.Mesh.T_LT_Mech_SM_StasisPodGlass_SS_ LT_Mech_SM_StasisPod_Closed
    Recook with -full
    Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
    Log: === Critical error: ===
    Couldn't find seek free bulk data info: MipLevel_3 for Texture2D LT_Morbias.SM.Mesh.T_LT_Mech_SM_StasisPodGlass_SS_ LT_Mech_SM_StasisPod_Closed
    Recook with -full
    <<

The resultant error above is from using the Frontend with the -full command so I was already doing what it says to do in the error. Any ideas anyone?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Repent_ View Post
    sorry did not cook =(
    Actually that is a good thing because you confirmed my findings. Now, does anyone know how to fix this? I'm thinking of trying to export it to Maya then import back in. Never done that before so I will have to figure that out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    sorry did not cook =(

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Repent_ View Post
    I will add them to a test level just a DM-Box really & see if it cooks for me. I don't know why that would be the prob but, we all know that the littlest thing can gum up the works :P

I'll get back to you
    Thanks! (10chars)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X