Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Checkers - My project (help needed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Checkers - My project (help needed)

One of my recent projects, more to see if I could actually do it than anything, was to build a checkerboard in Unreal 3. I succeeded to an extent, and ended up with a checkerboard that adheres to the rules of checkers in the following fashions:

- Moving, jumping, double jumping, and kinging pieces are all possible.
    - The board is operated by shooting squares with the shock rifle.
    - The only quirk to jumping pieces is that you must shoot your destination square a second time after jumping to set your piece down and end your turn. This is a result of the way I've made double jumps possible, which is essentially to provide the player with another turn starting from the square they jumped to with single-square moves disabled. If there is a double jump available for the player to make, they can do so, and if not, they can simply set down the piece and end their turn.
    - The game randomly picks a starting player at the beginning of the level.
    - The floating cubes on the sides of the board change color accordingly to indicate which player's turn it is.

Here's a copy of the level that can be operated by one person:
    http://alannewhouse.com/levels/DM-CheckersSolo.ut3
    http://alannewhouse.com/levels/CheckerPack.upk

The level was originally intended to be able to be played across a network as a TDM with two people, and players are prevented from interfering with each other through a matinee that places an invisible barrier in front of the opposing player while the current player takes their turn. This appears to be working properly. My primary problem is that several parts of the level are failing to update properly across the network. Everything works properly for the hosting player, but the second player experiences numerous issues, including the following:

- The material instance on the turn indicators does not update properly.
    - When player one moves pieces, player two sees the piece picked up, but not the following movement and setting down of the piece.
    - Player two can often not even see player one.

I've been scratching my head over this and have been unable to figure out a reason as to why this is happening. A copy of the multiplayer version can be found here, and it should be noted that the only difference between this and the solo version is the inclusion of the invisible barriers.

I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than I would be able to take a look at it and perhaps get an idea as to what the problem is. Anybody out there able to lend me a hand?
Working...
X