Editor eats my CPU for breakfast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editor eats my CPU for breakfast.

Note: I posted this in the Troubleshooting & Technology forum, so it's technically a double post. Presuming most of you actually use the editor and some of you are computer savy, I decided to post here too...

I have had a few lockups (computer freezes and there are red graphical glitches on the screen). I first thought it was a graphics card problem, until I opened up Task Manager while working on a map.

Even after a restart, if I open the editor with no map and select a viewport, the CPU Usage jumps to 100% and stays there. As soon as I click something else (desktop for example), it jusmps down in the sixties.

While I can build my map fine, I have to constantly click on the desktop some my CPU can take a break. I beleive it's not my hardware as it has only started in the past few weeks.

Any thoughts...

Specs:
    CPU: Pentium Dual Core 3.0
    Motherboard: Intel (800 Front Side Bus)
    Memory: 4 GB (667 Mhz)
    Video Card: EVGA 8800 GT (Factory Overclocked)

Far as I know, XP cannot handle 4GB or memory. Also, try disabling Virus Protection software and any other programs in the tray icon.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinamori View Post
      Far as I know, XP cannot handle 4GB or memory. Also, try disabling Virus Protection software and any other programs in the tray icon.
      That has nothing at all to do with the editor...
      XP can handle 4gbs of memory.. and antivirus...wtf it does not connect to the internet do that is not a problem....

What other programs are you running during map making?

Comment

Originally posted by Shinamori View Post
        XP 32 bit doesn't really use all of the 4 GB of Ram, it recognizes about 3 GB. I currently don't have an Virus Protection installed.

Originally posted by Gikon View Post
        That has nothing at all to do with the editor...
        XP can handle 4gbs of memory.. and antivirus...wtf it does not connect to the internet do that is not a problem....

What other programs are you running during map making?
        Sometimes I can have IE open (to read tutorials) and OneNote to take notes from time to time. The problem still happens on a restart with no additional programs open. I have around 33 processes open, but that shouldn't cause the major cpu spike?

If I have the viewport selected and right click on a item so the little menu pops up, the CPU usage drops to around 65% (which seems more normal to me).

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
          XP 32 bit doesn't really use all of the 4 GB of Ram, it recognizes about 3 GB. I currently don't have an Virus Protection installed.

Sometimes I can have IE open (to read tutorials) and OneNote to take notes from time to time. The problem still happens on a restart with no additional programs open. I have around 33 processes open, but that shouldn't cause the major cpu spike?

If I have the viewport selected and right click on a item so the little menu pops up, the CPU usage drops to around 65% (which seems more normal to me).
          Do not use IE, This is why you are having CPU spikes, IE has one of the worlds lowest virus protection, This means you got a virus buddy. The real only thing that can help now is go get AVAST (FREE!) and FireFox 3...Run a full systems BOOT scan and then try to run unrealEdit...should lower CPU usage...

Depending on the types of processes being ran it may or may not bring in major CPU spikes, mostly from Microsoft programs...

What might help is to change the detail on the UnrealEdit, This might or might not help...but still better safe then sorry.

Comment

Do not use IE, This is why you are having CPU spikes, IE has one of the worlds lowest virus protection, This means you got a virus buddy. The real only thing that can help now is go get AVAST (FREE!) and FireFox 3...Run a full systems BOOT scan and then try to run unrealEdit...should lower CPU usage...

Depending on the types of processes being ran it may or may not bring in major CPU spikes, mostly from Microsoft programs...

What might help is to change the detail on the UnrealEdit, This might or might not help...but still better safe then sorry.
            I am not having CPU spikes, it's flat lining at 100% only when I use the editor. While playing the game, it fluctuates in a normal fashion. This still happens with no other programs (on the taskbar) opened.

I just changed the detail setting to low, but it didn't work.

Comment

I am not having CPU spikes, it's flat lining at 100% only when I use the editor. While playing the game, it fluctuates in a normal fashion. This still happens with no other programs (on the taskbar) opened.

I just changed the detail setting to low, but it didn't work.
              hmm well still do what I said for future protection ;D

Well...I am thinking of issues that could do this..maybe going to the task manger and changing the processes for the editor to real time.....

Comment

It is perfectly normal for UnrealEd UT3 to use 65% of HT or P4-D CPUs when non-focused, and to use 100% when active.
                There is nothing wrong with this, it is completely normal, and nothing you can do to "fix it", short of a quad or octal core system.

Red graphical glitches and lockups could be a number of things. Since UT3Ed really stresses the system, you may have some issue with cooling of the CPU or GPU, or even RAM or motherboard problems. You may wish to install a utility to monitor the system temperatures.

XP supports 4GB of RAM just fine. There may be various issues with specific hardware configurations and motherboard chipsets that limit this below 3.25GB usable. See this page.

Some AV software monitors all disk accesses, so reading/writing files in UT3Ed can have some extra overhead. Other than that, running AV software is just fine.

IE is perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with IE at all. Just don't surf to sites that install trojans with the web browser.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post

IE is perfectly fine. There is nothing wrong with IE at all. Just don't surf to sites that install trojans with the web browser.
                  You just lost all of my respect. IE is not fine and over 5000 reports/surverys say it is 400% less protective then FF3...
                  Im sorry but hey man I can give you a virus on a legit site just by using simple java..on Firefox it would say "WOW HEY MAN VIRUS...ILL GET YOU OUT OF HERE...JUST HOLD ON MAN..YOULL MAKE IT...COME ON!!" well not like but still...

Comment

i have a c2d @3ghz and 3gb ram XP SP3 and i am at around 40ish percent CPU usage while editing. i only go up to 100 when im rebuilding.

Comment

You just lost all of my respect. IE is not fine and over 5000 reports/surverys say it is 400% less protective then FF3...
                      Im sorry but hey man I can give you a virus on a legit site just by using simple java..on Firefox it would say "WOW HEY MAN VIRUS...ILL GET YOU OUT OF HERE...JUST HOLD ON MAN..YOULL MAKE IT...COME ON!!" well not like but still...
                      Give me a break. Your argument is completely flawed. The reason why Windows and IE are targetted is because they are the most popular. FF, Mac's, Linux, etc. are not targetted as much because they are only used by 5%-10% of people. FF is only "safer" because it doesn't support everything that IE does. To make IE as secure as FF simply disable the ActiveX, Java, etc., then it also runs the same as FF, and is also as unsupported on sites as FF.
                      I use Windows and IE exclusively and I have never had a virus or trojan through IE in 25 years of computing.

And besides, IE has nothing to do with UT3Ed using 100% of CPU like you were claiming.

Originally posted by Bi()ha2arD View Post
                      i have a c2d @3ghz and 3gb ram XP SP3 and i am at around 40ish percent CPU usage while editing. i only go up to 100 when im rebuilding.
                      HT and P4-D CPUs will run at 100% when editing.
                      Core2 series, Quads etc. will do better.

Comment

I have no issues with IE at all and have been using it for years.
                        I use Spy Sweeper for spyware and ZA for virus protection/firewall. Both offer "Game Mode" that will stop the programs from interfering with games. You are correct that you can get spyware anywhere but with a little common sense and a some protection, there is no real danger.

If you are that concerned with contamination, get a MAC.

Comment

It is perfectly normal for UnrealEd UT3 to use 65% of HT or P4-D CPUs when non-focused, and to use 100% when active.
                          But a 100% with no map loaded and you're just selecting a viewport? While I do repsect your knowledge, this doesn't make any sense that any program would use that much CPU all the time.

When I build a map or play the game, the CPU usage fluctuates between 55-100%. But when I am using a viewport, it's always 100%. This tells me something's very wrong.

It only freezes like this while editing. I have played BF 2142 for 8 hours and nothing happens. I reinstalled the program, but no change.

Originally posted by Bi()ha2arD View Post
                          While your c2d is probably faster because of the FSB it can handle and other things, the numbers you get make more sene to me. Sometimes computers can be a real pain!

HT and P4-D CPUs will run at 100% when editing.
                          Core2 series, Quads etc. will do better.
                          I just started playing BF 2142 and my computer doesn't handle the game very well (especially on the titan). My buddies says it's time to get a better processor/RAM/Motherboard. If what you say is true of all Pentium 4-Dual core, now I have 2 reasons to upgrade. I just don't want to reinstall windows again for the 4th time this year! Just to be sure DGUnreal, do you know that HT and P4-D CPUs will run the editor at 100% from personal experience? I just want to be very clear of the situation before I seriously think about upgrading these core parts!

Is there any reason why the editor would run using less CPU on Vista 32 bit compared to XP 32 bit. This problem of the computer completely locking up only happens while using the editor and only seems to be happening in the last 2-3 weeks. It could relate to something technical (CPU is wearing out? ) as I have mapped for many hours before with out my computer freezing up.

Comment

maybe your cpu fan starts failing or something when it used to work and now gets worse? one of your RAM's is ****ed up? i would check this kinda stuff first.

Comment

But a 100% with no map loaded and you're just selecting a viewport? While I do repsect your knowledge, this doesn't make any sense that any program would use that much CPU all the time...
                              It shouldn't use 100%, but it does, and it is unfortunately normal for it to do so.

Comment

Working...
                              X