Street meshes are see-thru?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Street meshes are see-thru?

I found a UT3 package (couldn't tell you what one, I'm at work right now. If need be, I'll find them tonight when I get home) containing static meshes that were streets. Long flat pieces of road. They looked really thin, like they were designed to be placed right on top of BSP.

But I place these things right on top of BSP, they look great, I get in a raptor, and fly up into the air, and I can see right through them to the material on the BSP beneath them!

Help? I'd like to throw some streets in my map!

Make sure the 'floor' of the street mesh is above the BSP surface. If it's on the same level, raise it by just a little bit.. maybe 1uu or less. This will remove any sorting conflicts.

That's what it sounds like to me; try raising the meshes up a few feet (just to test) and see if you can see through them again. If they are still invisible, I would check the material to make sure it isn't translucent.

Do the streets seem normal when you are on ground level with them?

Comment

Yeah they seem normal when you're running around on them, its only when you go up in the air that they fade out.

What's weird is, I thought of that! (Raising the meshes by 1UU or something) I actually raised them by like 2 or 4, enough to cover the ammo pickup spawns and stuff.

I'll see if I can throw together a quick screen shot or two when I get home to illustrate my point.

Also, yeah, I'll check the translucence. Hadn't even thought of that!

Comment

Originally posted by Kibbler View Post
        Make sure the 'floor' of the street mesh is above the BSP surface. If it's on the same level, raise it by just a little bit.. maybe 1uu or less. This will remove any sorting conflicts.
        If you do have 2 items at the same height, the engine can't decide which one to display. The term is called Z-fighting, because they are fighting for attention on the Z axis.

That being said, I know in past Unreal engines, I could see Z-fighting, while my friend couldn't. The item wasn't really Z-fighting, but at greater distances, it seems our video cards handled them differently.

Comment

Well, I don't know what changed, but raising it by 1 UU worked flawlessly this time.

Weird, but hey, whatever!

Thanks for the help Kibbler and Odedge!

Comment

Working...
          X