Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumppad minor problems.

Hi.

I'm currently working on a map and I have a jumppad with an 8 second jump time (high, yes I know) and two problems have risen because of it.

Screenshot:

1) When just stepping onto the jumppad then letting go, the player doesn't make it past the "wall" that the pink line crosses by a mile. Even though I have JumpAirControl set to 1. Is the pink line only accurate if person is moving in that direction at full speed?
    EDIT: Changing the jumptime to 6 seconds has completely removed this problem. Must be something to do with the jump arc and gravity (using standard gravity).

2) Even if this problem is solved, the player takes damage from the fall. This is a serious problem because in a previous map bot's wouldnt go down the hole into the sewer unless forced down there by weaponry. It seems they know they will get hurt and don't go down there.

What can I do to prevent damage before hitting the floor? Which volume and which settings would work best?

Thanks for reading,

Aguycalleddave.

Water volumes can fix this problem easily, if you can create an excuse to use one. I can't actually test this right now, as my editor here seems to be acting up, but I would toy with GravityVolume and PhysicsVolumes if you want to take a different route. I'm sure you can find some sort of setting that will give you the desired effect.

Maybe adding in health pickups at the bottom of the jump will help remedy the falling damage? Drop vials of health directly in the jumppad's arc so as the player is flying through the air, he gains a big HP buffer?

I had similar jumppad problems with my CTF map, but I found a way around it that actually ended up being really fun for the player. (unintentional gameplay ^^)

Comment

thanks.

Brilliant!

Using a physics volume like this:

Works perfectly, no damage. Take note of that terminal velocity value, it might come in handy in future.

I tried to do something similar before with halo-style covenant lifts (low gravity going down and negative gravity going up)

I got it working sort of using a gravity volume and the velocity option of z. But it allowed you to jump incredibly high and sort of cheat the lift system.

Using the terminal velocity system, maybe i could use a negative value to recreate my lifts? It's worth a shot. I'll try it if you're interested since it's a minor thing to do.

Comment

If you do test the lifts and it works, post here for sure. Glad to see you have it sorted. That's actually helpful information for me, so thanks! ;D

Comment

I have an answer!

There is good news and bad news.

The good news is the downward lifts (100 terminalvelocity) work like a charm.

The bad news, or perhaps good news as it is an unusual effect, is what happens when you jump from a height into a volume and land in an area affected by a volume (-1000 terminalvelocity)

It creates a trampoline effect!

Check the video I made (RE-UPLOADED BETTER QUALITY)
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahxEkEcRjK8

I might put together a small map showing how to best put this in use

I will also keep looking for an effective way of making the up-going grav lift.

Tell me what you think, although judging by how simple this is, someone must have done it before.

Comment

Awesome!

I approve of this unconventional gravity usage. It's stuff like this that makes maps interesting for me.

Nice find, and thanks for investigating.

Comment

i made gravity lifts with gravity volumes. works like a charm. just use a low positive z-grav value for the up lift and a low negative z-grav value for downward lift. you can check it out in my WAR-Training map if you want:
              http://forum.justwarfare.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=360

Comment

Hmm...

Originally posted by Bi()ha2arD View Post
                i made gravity lifts with gravity volumes. works like a charm. just use a low positive z-grav value for the up lift and a low negative z-grav value for downward lift. you can check it out in my WAR-Training map if you want:
                http://forum.justwarfare.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=360
                Yeah, in a previous attempt I had that sort of setup, but because I used a flat roof and a lower exit, the player bounced off of it and floated downward slowly. I am now working on a lift system example similar to Halo 2, and if my current idea does not work, I will use a negative zonevelocity on z but create a sloped roof to prevent the player from getting "stuck" in the lift. Another problem with this is that you can rise in the lift much faster if you jump, and I want to remove that "advantage". Perhaps a volume that blocks jumping will help here. I'll report back when I work something out.

Comment

in another test map where i used a negative grav lift i just put a physics volume on top of the exit that pushes players to the right so that they land on the floor and dont bounce back down because they dont even reach the roof.

Comment

Thanks.

Originally posted by Bi()ha2arD View Post
                    in another test map where i used a negative grav lift i just put a physics volume on top of the exit that pushes players to the right so that they land on the floor and dont bounce back down because they dont even reach the roof.
                    That's a brilliant idea! I'll take it into consideration, thanks.

Comment

I had this problem when working on a map before, try using physic or gravity volumes

i never was able to figure it out completly I could probably figure it out now If I went back and took a look.

Comment

OOPS double post

Comment

Working...
                        X