No announcement yet.

Which Modelling Program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yah thats for sure, the one thing though, is where i live out int he country, i cant get high-speed....so i have to use dial-up, its like a hampster and wheel man

Comment

I'm quite good at Keycreator. Do you know if there's any way to convert it's files (it has a lot of export options) to something useable? I'd prefer it for weapon modeling,

Comment

Never heard of keycreator, But if it supports collada then you should be good to go!

Comment

I've given up on the free versions of the commercial programs, they are only supported for a few years and then poof, no more support. There are about 100 old free unsupported 3D moddeling programs available!

I'm learning Blender, giving up on Maya PLE. I find that the wiki tuts are too disorganized for the beginner, may I suggest starting on the vid tuts at the blenderunderground http://blenderunderground.com/category/video-tutorials/
          The bottom line, Blender interface is a little different but very powerful, the 2 bigest PITA's are that you select an object with the R mouse button rather than the left and that buttons go from bright to dark when selected rather than the normal programming, opposite, convention. Both of these things can be changed in about 5 seconds.

There is indeed one real problem with Blender and UT: IIRC normals are calculated in a slightly different fashion than in 3DMax, which is the standard used for all things unreal. This means that some shadows aren't right on extra high res surfaces like player faces and some textures have to be redone and reapplied to look right in game.

Comment

I think I'm going to learn Blender now, as my cousin seems to already know some things about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bantis View Post
              ... I am a student and here is the store I use...

HTH.
              I go to that site and click on students and both norton and AVG claim it's pushing a trojan. Just an fyi to people.

Comment

Originally posted by [GU]Elmur_fud View Post
                I go to that site and click on students and both norton and AVG claim it's pushing a trojan. Just an fyi to people.
                Well I don't know what to say to that as neither Norton nor Kaspersky tell me anything. Studica is an intenational company that has been around since 85. I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the site. I know you are just saying what you are getting but still...

I don't work for them or anything I just have used them alot as a student and have found them to be very reliable. To each his own I guess.

Sorry you have had a bad experience. I still recommend the site though.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                  Personally, I would go for 3ds Max since the student version is pretty cheap, and it's used for most video games. Maya is used for most movies and is sometimes used for video game animation.
                  That's a pretty accurate description..

3DS Max is used for most video game content these days, so if you learn Max to do what you want now - at least there is the possibility of using that knowledge and going further, if you ever chose to persue a career in 3D / Animation etc..

(I use Max btw, and I think everyone is just saying to use what they use themselves! lol)

Comment

Yes, I get that feeling.

It's looking to me as if Max, Maya, and Blender all work fine, and while I really should learn Max or Maya, Blender is free and I can buy Zbrush with the money, which looks brilliant.

Comment

Don't listen to any idiot who says that Blender is a piece of ****. It's more full-featured than most expensive modeling programs, but it has a sharp learning curve. I haven't used XSI, but out of 3ds Max and Maya, I find Maya much easier to model with. UT3 will probably work better with 3ds Max, but I find that it is not as straightforward for modeling as Maya with its 'modifier' system.

Comment

Originally posted by Bantis View Post
                        Well I don't know what to say to that as neither Norton nor Kaspersky tell me anything. Studica is an intenational company that has been around since 85. I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the site. I know you are just saying what you are getting but still...

I don't work for them or anything I just have used them alot as a student and have found them to be very reliable. To each his own I guess.

Sorry you have had a bad experience. I still recommend the site though.
                        Ok maybe they got hacked because the issue seems to be cleared up. It was trying to push a file called pave.exe (or something close there too) now it isn't at all and I have multiple tools to view all files a website will try and send you so I made certain.

I related note I use lightwave which was natively supported for UT2k4 but Epic dropped it for UT3. Which after some digging my guess as to why would be Lightwaves horrid support for Normal maps.

Since I can't afford to buy another uber expensive piece of software 3Dmax or maya and I find them a bit difficult anyway... I still make all my models in Lightwave and import them to blender and then use blender to export them as a .3ds

However if blender wasn't a bit difficult to me I might just use it solely for my UT3 stuff.

A steep learning curve (as has been said) but if you can learn it, it is a very good app IMHO, and made all the better because it is free.

I wish we had been given the ability to make custom import plugins for UT3 that way epic wouldn't have to support them but if any enterprising coders felt the need they could write a plugin for there favorite non-natively supported 3d app. But hey maybe in the future.

Comment

I'm probably going to buy Zbrush for detail work (it can import both .obj (semi-standard polygonal mesh) and .dxf (standard CAD,) you have no idea how much that thrilled me) and I'm pretty sure it has ActorX...

Comment

The demo I had of zbrush was really only for painting detail onto a model not actually so much of a modeler itself. You had to import into it and export out of it.

Comment

Working...
                            X