Which Modelling Program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Modelling Program?

I am looking into learning a 3d modeling program, primarily for Source and Unreal engine mods. I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice as to which to learn. 3ds Max, XSI, or Maya? I have been messing around in XSI Mod Tool, which is fairly well-featured, and I can get a student copy of Maya fairly cheaply. As far as I can tell, 3ds Max will cost me a fortune, but there may be a store I haven't found yet.

Anyone?

Try Bender, it's free!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyoka View Post
      Try Bender, it's free!
      Blender is horrible

Comment

Originally posted by Gikon View Post
        Blender is horrible
        Why's that then?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyoka View Post
          Why's that then?
          Out of all of the 3D modeling programs I have uses, blender is the worst.
          If your new, try MS3D, its cheap, its epic, its fun...

Comment

Get Maya PLE I think you can export meshes to UT3 with it. That way you will learn a modeling package thats actually used in the Industry.

Comment

I think I may go for Maya. It works well with unreal?

Comment

I vote Maya, simply because it's what I use.

I'm sure if you are proficient in any package, you can make it work. Maya is just my flavor. ^^ I would recommend sticking with Maya or Max, simply because they are more mainstream and more tutorials are geared toward those 2 than any of the other packages.

Comment

Okay then, you tell me the links I need to d/l the PLE version and the plugins I need to.

Comment

The latest version of maya ple does not work with ut3. Get xsi mod tool as it is free and has exporters for unreal and source engine. It does however have a max poly limit but i have not had any problems with the poly limit yet.

Comment

Originally posted by brisingre View Post
                      I can get a student copy of Maya fairly cheaply. As far as I can tell, 3ds Max will cost me a fortune, but there may be a store I haven't found yet.

Anyone?
                      If you can get Maya at a student discount I see no reason why you couldn't get Max at one too (if you want to go that route that is). I am a student and here is the store I use. I got the education full version of Max 9 through it. Educational version as in I can't use it to create models for commercial use.

You do have to prove that you are a currently enrolled student via your student ID and an official document (from the school itself that is) confirming that you are enrolled in class and are taking the following class x names. Keep in mind that different software may have different requirements so be sure you understand what you need before you order. I faxed my information to the store so it would be on file when I ordered.

HTH.

Comment

If you are currently enrolled in school you can get a copy of 3DS Max 9 from CampusTech.com for about $250-$300. It is the full version and it does not expire. $250-$300 is not cheap but it is better than $3000.

Originally posted by brisingre View Post
                        I am looking into learning a 3d modeling program, primarily for Source and Unreal engine mods. I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice as to which to learn. 3ds Max, XSI, or Maya? I have been messing around in XSI Mod Tool, which is fairly well-featured, and I can get a student copy of Maya fairly cheaply. As far as I can tell, 3ds Max will cost me a fortune, but there may be a store I haven't found yet.

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Gikon View Post
                          Blender is horrible
                          Blender is the most full-featured free 3d modelling program out there and one of the best and most well-renowned.

It's just got a fairly sharp learning curve, definitely not for beginners.

Honestly, I hated Blender for the first couple of months I had it, but now that I know it, I would take it over any stupidly-high priced flashy garbage like Max or Maya. There's nothing that I could do in Max, Maya, or Lightwave that I can't do in Blender 3x faster. It's just a matter of taking the time to learn the format and remembering a LOT of hotkey shortcuts, since everything isn't always right there on a shiny button for you to click.

If you do get Blender, I suggest buying a copy of "The Essential Blender" by the Blender Organization. It's pretty much a step-by-step guide of all of the major tools in Blender by the guys that designed the tools and it costs about $30-60... compare that to student copy of Max for $300-400 (around here, that's the cheapest I could find anyway....).

Comment

I love maya, I'm gonna try and XSI modtool for now though, because there is no plugin for Maya 8.5 PLE, and I can't afford a student version, I would go with maya, if you get a decent student discount, if not use XSI.

PS: Blender, some people like it some hate it, I personally hate it, its really complicated for a modeler

Comment

You mentioned you wanted to learn a 3d modeling program for mods, do you mean as a hobby, or to work professionally? I had used Maya PLE for 4 years to mod for UT2004, but there is no exporter for meshes and skeletal meshes. I tried the XSI modtool and never exported a skeletal mesh,(vehicle). Maya and Max are not garbage, but if you just want to model for a mod, they are both kind of like shooting rabbits with a tank:P
                              Blender has an odd interface, it took me 4 different tries, and no Maya PLE exporter, to get me to really use it. I find it much quicker than Maya. There are exporters for both static meshes and skeletal meshes.
                              If you have a good internet connection, search for Big Buck Bunny, an animated cartoon short. Bear in mind that it was not done by some large studio, but some very talented Blender users and only a few pros.

Comment

Working...
                              X