black terrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black terrain

so far i have made apiece of terrain, them copied and pasted it and flipped its y so that it perfectly fits the othe rfor my symmetrical map.

So far ive found that if and shadows get cast on either piece of terrain the pasted version goes completely black?

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I haven't copy/pasted terrain, but do have multiple terrain actors in one map. I guess the simple question is... do you have any lights that would reach the pasted terrain and do you do a build all?

Comment

You say you flipped it on the Y... how did you flip it? Scale it -1 on the Y axis?

I don't know for sure, but be careful when you do things like that. Unreal sometimes gets cranky with me when I do things like that.

For troubleshooting, I suggest you make a new terrain. Don't copy/paste it in, just create a new terrain actor and see if that terrain lights properly.

Once you have verified that new terrain is lighting properly, delete it and start working with your copied terrain. Press F4 to open the properties and lock the properties window. Open up the other terrain and lock it's properties as well. Now, align them side by side and check that all the properties are identical. (If you copied/pasted, they will be the same).

Check your terrain materials and ensure your new terrain actually has a proper material on it. Try swapping the TLS around just to see if it has any effect.

Let me know if any of that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Kibbler View Post
        You say you flipped it on the Y... how did you flip it? Scale it -1 on the Y axis?
        I flipped a terrain actor in the movement section (going off memory). I just rotated it 180 degrees in the z access to make it a ceiling for a cave. Works well, except when you paint the terrain, the brush is on the opposite side (which you can't really see).

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
          I flipped a terrain actor in the movement section (going off memory). I just rotated it 180 degrees in the z access to make it a ceiling for a cave. Works well, except when you paint the terrain, the brush is on the opposite side (which you can't really see).
          I guess as long as it works for you, that's cool... but terrain isn't really meant as a roof object. It's actually really expensive to use, so if you can get away with it, use rock/cave meshes whenever you can rather than terrain.

Terrain is designed for walking on, not looking up at. I'd recommend using meshes to create the roof. It'll probably look nicer, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kibbler View Post
            Terrain is designed for walking on, not looking up at. I'd recommend using meshes to create the roof. It'll probably look nicer, too.
            Being limited to stock assets, there are no good rock ceiling peices. So far, I think I am doing ok in the terrain rendering side of things. It's for a Antalus inspired remake and that map isn't that big (compared to Warfare maps).

Comment

Originally posted by Odedge View Post
              Being limited to stock assets, there are no good rock ceiling peices. So far, I think I am doing ok in the terrain rendering side of things. It's for a Antalus inspired remake and that map isn't that big (compared to Warfare maps).
              Keep in mind that stock SMs don't have to fit perfectly with what you want to do. Take a stock rock SM and turn that guy upside down, rescale it etc. Stack it with other rock meshes and create that ceiling. If you are going to rely on stock meshes you have to get a bit creative in your placement sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bantis View Post
                Keep in mind that stock SMs don't have to fit perfectly with what you want to do. Take a stock rock SM and turn that guy upside down, rescale it etc. Stack it with other rock meshes and create that ceiling. If you are going to rely on stock meshes you have to get a bit creative in your placement sometimes.
                I know this and have done this a lot in the current map I am working on. But now that I have read what you said, I may try to see I can do something with rocks. Though maybe the ceiling of the cave should be dirt, like it's been dug out? Aaagh, I hate making creative choices.

Comment

yep, i flipped it with y -1, so far i have found that all other terrain works fine except any of the ones i copy and paste.

Also, when i go into terrain editor mode, if i try turn on wire frame it only works for the original, and has no effect on the pasted one, also i can only edit the original one?

Also, yeah i do a build all.

Comment

Originally posted by marilol View Post
                    yep, i flipped it with y -1, so far i have found that all other terrain works fine except any of the ones i copy and paste.

Also, when i go into terrain editor mode, if i try turn on wire frame it only works for the original, and has no effect on the pasted one, also i can only edit the original one?

Also, yeah i do a build all.
                    I haven't copied terrain, so I don't know if there are any quirks related to it. But, when you have multiple terrains and you open up the terrain editor, you have to select which terrain you want to edit (look in the lop right section).

A few tips. If your terrains are very close to each other, you might want to lock the terrain you don't want to edit in the same window (right hand side). This way it will only effect one terrain at a time.

If you have two terrains that are overlapping each other, you sometimes need to hide the terrain you don't want to work on. I have had the editor place the terrain brush over the locked terrain's invisible patches, which is kind of a pain.

Comment

I know how to switch between terrain in the editor window, the black terrain just wont respond,

im gonna see if this is a bug and copy terrain in another or just see if its summin else in my level.

Comment

Working...
                      X