Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Blender question and resource thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Blender question and resource thread!

Devs would you mind making this a sticky, if at all possible? Feel free to erase this line when you are done too.

I've been using Blender to make models for Unreal Tournament 3 for a little while now, so there's a slim chance that I can answer your Blender questions as they relate to creating models to use in the Unreal series of games. If you have a question for which you are seeking an answer, please post here.

Also be sure to download and watch these:
    http://blenderunderground.com/category/video-tutorials/

This will help you set Blender up for use with UnrealED:
    http://nucleus.planetunreal.gamespy....?article_id=12

I HIGHLY recommend the Blender Underground forum as another place to ask your Blender related questions, and you can search for my name to see which ones I have asked, and the answers I have received.

(Deathbliss rolls up his sleeves...) Start posting those questions!
    - Deathbliss

Well even though nobody gives a rat's ****, I went ahead and did a video tutorial for Blender:
    Blender - Assigning Materials & Textures

Want to ensure that I make more, and help me get my book released? Use the donation button at my site:
    http://nucleus.planetunreal.gamespy....usion/news.php

PM me here if you have any issues getting your optional, but very much needed and appreciated donation, to go through.
    - Deathbliss

Comment

I downloaded Blender yesterday, no doubt I will have some questions for you soon enough.

Comment

*cough* mapping/modelling forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Deathbliss View Post
          Well even though nobody gives a rat's ****, I went ahead and did a video tutorial for Blender:
          dude, i do.

i love blender. and ive kept my eyes out for what might be years trying to integrate blender and unreal. i love the support thats out now for blender and ut3. its awesome. keep up the blender support man, im there to watch the vids

Comment

yea, nice stuff you got there!

Comment

where is something that will let me make custom weapons and characters in blender?

Comment

Well to do this you need to learn how to model objects in Blender. So go here, download and watch all of the videos (and not at once - I don't want you to go blind):
                http://blenderunderground.com/video-tutorials/

That is also a VERY GOOD place to ask your questions - the folks in the forums are nice and friendly

After you have got a handle on how to make stuff in Blender, decide on an object you wish to create and start modelling it. If you get stuck post your question here or at Blender Underground (after searching first).

Finally cross your fingers and hope that I get an export/import video tut done for Blender and UT 2004. The steps are going to be pretty much the same for UT3 also.

If you have a specific kind of object you want a tutorial made for in mind, post a request here, or preferable there, then PM me a link, and that will net you a wide range of folks who might be able to do this for you. I'm stronger with simple objects and architectural stuff. Making something like a gun from a reference photo is something I wouldn't be able to easily and quickly do, as I would have to learn how to do it myself first :/ Same goes for making a new character model - me an animations generally try to ignore each other.
                - Deathbliss

Comment

Ok. I have Blender downloaded and installed and ready to go, But, Is their any way to change the camera controls for the perspective viewport to make it control more like Max or Maya? I'm not saying i won't be able to get used to it but it seems very alien after using Maya for so long.

Comment

If there is a way to change the controls I never found it, and I'm not sure I would recommend changing them in the first place. Why? Because every tutorial you read or watch will be giving you the Blender specific commands and you would be completely lost. You're just going to have to roll up your sleeves, and start learning Blender's controls just as they are. Make a lot of simple objects, and with practice you will adapt to the alien control scheme.

If it helps at all think of all the ways you could torture the folks that designed Blender this way if you ever found them...
                    - Deathbliss

Comment

There is one for Maya, but it messes up other shortcut keys if I remember correct. I have the same problem, but after 10 minutes or so I have no problems....that is until I go back to Blender and try to use Maya's controls:P
                      Deathbliss is absolutely corect on the tuts, but I still use the left mouse to select instead of the default right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathbliss View Post
                        Well to do this you need to learn how to model objects in Blender. So go here, download and watch all of the videos (and not at once - I don't want you to go blind):
                        http://blenderunderground.com/video-tutorials/

That is also a VERY GOOD place to ask your questions - the folks in the forums are nice and friendly

After you have got a handle on how to make stuff in Blender, decide on an object you wish to create and start modelling it. If you get stuck post your question here or at Blender Underground (after searching first).

Finally cross your fingers and hope that I get an export/import video tut done for Blender and UT 2004. The steps are going to be pretty much the same for UT3 also.

If you have a specific kind of object you want a tutorial made for in mind, post a request here, or preferable there, then PM me a link, and that will net you a wide range of folks who might be able to do this for you. I'm stronger with simple objects and architectural stuff. Making something like a gun from a reference photo is something I wouldn't be able to easily and quickly do, as I would have to learn how to do it myself first :/ Same goes for making a new character model - me an animations generally try to ignore each other.
                        - Deathbliss
                        thanks, but i can already model well and have exported meshes out of blender. it is just that i need to know where i can find a skeleton that i can rig characters to in blender, or can i create my own skeletons.

Comment

Animation question alert! Well I'm afraid I'll be of little or no help here, but I will search around and see what I can find for you -
                          - Deathbliss

Comment

Working...
                          X