X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, for this tut, great help.

Comment

Need help.
      I followed the tutorial and i have my character working fine in the editor with animation playing but in game my character mesh shows no animation on it,
      can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by rockingskier View Post
        Code:
        PhysAsset=PhysicsAsset'CH_Again.Meshes.Again_head_Physics
        AnimSets(0)=AnimSet'CH_Again.Anim.NewAnimSet'
        Try this instead.

Code:
        AnimSets(0)=AnimSet'UT3 Default Animations'
        AnimSets(1)=AnimSet'Your new animations'

Comment

I have the same problem as explained in the link here -http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=630347
          Any suggestion what i can do to take care of the peoblem ?

Comment

Please Help!

Code:
            Log: Importing Defaults for UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar
            Warning: Failed to load 'PhysicsAsset CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head_Physics': Failed to find object 'PhysicsAsset CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head_Physics'
            Warning: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(17) : Warning, ObjectProperty UTGame.UTFamilyInfo:PhysAsset: unresolved reference to 'PhysicsAsset'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head_Physics''
            Warning: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(17) : Warning, Invalid property value in defaults: 	PhysAsset=PhysicsAsset'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head_Physics'
            Warning: Failed to load 'AnimSet CH_TutChar.Anim.TutCharAni': Failed to find object 'AnimSet CH_TutChar.Anim.TutCharAni'
            Warning: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(18) : Warning, ObjectProperty UTGame.UTFamilyInfo:AnimSets.AnimSets: unresolved reference to 'AnimSet'CH_TutChar.Anim.TutCharAni''
            Warning: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(18) : Warning, Invalid property value in defaults: 	AnimSets(0)=AnimSet'CH_TutChar.Anim.TutCharAni'
            Warning: Failed to load 'SkeletalMesh CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head': Failed to find object 'SkeletalMesh CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head'
            Warning: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(24) : Warning, ObjectProperty UTGame.UTFamilyInfo:MasterSkeleton: unresolved reference to 'SkeletalMesh'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head''
            Warning: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(24) : Warning, Invalid property value in defaults: 	MasterSkeleton=SkeletalMesh'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head'
            Log: Success: Compiled 4 line(s), 1 statement(s).

Log: Scripts successfully compiled - saving package 'C:\Documents and Settings\plm230\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\..\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Script\TutChar.u'
            Log: Save=102.961131
            Log: Moving '..\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Script\Save.tmp' to '..\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Script\TutChar.u'
            Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Config\UTCustomChar.ini
            Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Config\UTEditorKeyBindings.ini
            Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Localization\int\UTGame.int
            Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Config\UTWeapon.ini
            Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Config\UTWeb.ini
            Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Config\DLC_MapInfo.ini
            Log: 
            Log: Warning/Error Summary
            Log: ---------------------
            Log: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(17) : Warning, ObjectProperty UTGame.UTFamilyInfo:PhysAsset: unresolved reference to 'PhysicsAsset'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head_Physics''
            Log: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(17) : Warning, Invalid property value in defaults: 	PhysAsset=PhysicsAsset'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head_Physics'
            Log: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(18) : Warning, ObjectProperty UTGame.UTFamilyInfo:AnimSets.AnimSets: unresolved reference to 'AnimSet'CH_TutChar.Anim.TutCharAni''
            Log: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(18) : Warning, Invalid property value in defaults: 	AnimSets(0)=AnimSet'CH_TutChar.Anim.TutCharAni'
            Log: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(24) : Warning, ObjectProperty UTGame.UTFamilyInfo:MasterSkeleton: unresolved reference to 'SkeletalMesh'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head''
            Log: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(24) : Warning, Invalid property value in defaults: 	MasterSkeleton=SkeletalMesh'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head'
            Log: 
            Log: Success - 0 error(s), 6 warning(s)
            Log: 
            Execution of commandlet took:  17.49 seconds
            Couple of my friends have completed this tutorial and have the exact same results. Look at the above code. Nice little warnings to make us happy!

Art1 has the same problems. Looking through his link was unhelpful as he was told to just forget about doing a custom rig/animation. For us the custom rig/animations are really important. Please help this tutorial is laid out really nicely would love more information on how to solve this issue.

Thanks
            Andrew

Comment

@ajporter

Make sure you have a copy of your package in the published folder as well as the unpublished folder. Basically UT3 looks for any asset that is defined in single quotes like the phys asset or animset etc., in the published folder and not the unpublished. I don't know why this is but if you have copies of your package in both folders the warnings will disappear upon compile. Just to clarify I mean the published folder in your "My Documents" folder not the game directory.

I've successfully created a custom rig and full set of animations, imported them, and got them to work properly in game so there is no need to forget about using custom rigs and animations. I did this before this tutorial came out and had to figure everything out myself which was time consuming and at times frustrating. I use Max 5 and that complicated things as well. In any case custom rigs and animations can be done so don't get discouraged.

Comment

Originally posted by rockingskier View Post
                Hi again,

Great tut, thanks.

Ive been having ago and I think Ive done most of it now. Ive got all meshes and materials exported from Max and into UE.

My problem is with custom animations. I have exported the 4 animations that are suggested in the tut (just for starters) copying the names exactly.
                They seem to export and import fine with no errors and can even be viewed working in the generic browser with the my custom char.

The problem appears when in game none of the animations seem to work and the character just floats around (original jumping animations still seem to work tho).

I've tried various times and cant get any further. I assume it is somethign to do with UTFamilyInfo but not sure what.

The char works with original animations but not with custom ones and generally fails when either of these two parts are changed. As its the standard UTMale skeleton I have tried with various mixtures of original and custom animations/physics and generally it dies with anything custom to do with these.

Code:
                PhysAsset=PhysicsAsset'CH_Again.Meshes.Again_head_Physics
                AnimSets(0)=AnimSet'CH_Again.Anim.NewAnimSet'
                I hope all that makes sense as I'm completely lost right now and I've wasted a lot of hours. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

RockingSkier
                The animations you exported are for when the character is holding a rifle type weapon ie rocket launcher, bio rifle, shock rifle etc. The "_rif" at the end of the file names tells you this. The Psi suffix is pistol aka "enforcer", Dpi stands for Dual pistols/enforcers, Red is redemer, Sti is for stinger. When your first start a map your char has an enforcer as the default weap, and since you only have _rif animations you will not see any animations until your char picks up a flack cannon or rocket launcher etc. There are 4 "_rif" animations for each direction, run_fwd_rif, run_bwd_rif, run_lt_rif, run_rt_rif. You only need to do the run_fwd for Pis, Dpi, Sti, and Red as the other directions are blended from the rif animations. You may also need the Idle_Ready anims for things work properly as well even though your just trying to test out a few animations first.

Comment

Originally posted by ajporter View Post
                  Code:
                  Log: Importing Defaults for UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar
                  Warning: Failed to load 'PhysicsAsset CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head_Physics': Failed to find object 'PhysicsAsset CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head_Physics'
                  Warning: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(17) : Warning, ObjectProperty UTGame.UTFamilyInfo:PhysAsset: unresolved reference to 'PhysicsAsset'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head_Physics''
                  Warning: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(17) : Warning, Invalid property value in defaults: 	PhysAsset=PhysicsAsset'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head_Physics'
                  Warning: Failed to load 'AnimSet CH_TutChar.Anim.TutCharAni': Failed to find object 'AnimSet CH_TutChar.Anim.TutCharAni'
                  Warning: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(18) : Warning, ObjectProperty UTGame.UTFamilyInfo:AnimSets.AnimSets: unresolved reference to 'AnimSet'CH_TutChar.Anim.TutCharAni''
                  Warning: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(18) : Warning, Invalid property value in defaults: 	AnimSets(0)=AnimSet'CH_TutChar.Anim.TutCharAni'
                  Warning: Failed to load 'SkeletalMesh CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head': Failed to find object 'SkeletalMesh CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head'
                  Warning: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(24) : Warning, ObjectProperty UTGame.UTFamilyInfo:MasterSkeleton: unresolved reference to 'SkeletalMesh'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head''
                  Warning: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(24) : Warning, Invalid property value in defaults: 	MasterSkeleton=SkeletalMesh'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head'
                  Log: Success: Compiled 4 line(s), 1 statement(s).

Log: Scripts successfully compiled - saving package 'C:\Documents and Settings\plm230\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\..\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Script\TutChar.u'
                  Log: Save=102.961131
                  Log: Moving '..\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Script\Save.tmp' to '..\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Script\TutChar.u'
                  Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Config\UTCustomChar.ini
                  Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Config\UTEditorKeyBindings.ini
                  Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Localization\int\UTGame.int
                  Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Config\UTWeapon.ini
                  Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Config\UTWeb.ini
                  Log: GConfig::Find has loaded file:  ..\UTGame\Config\DLC_MapInfo.ini
                  Log: 
                  Log: Warning/Error Summary
                  Log: ---------------------
                  Log: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(17) : Warning, ObjectProperty UTGame.UTFamilyInfo:PhysAsset: unresolved reference to 'PhysicsAsset'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head_Physics''
                  Log: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(17) : Warning, Invalid property value in defaults: 	PhysAsset=PhysicsAsset'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head_Physics'
                  Log: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(18) : Warning, ObjectProperty UTGame.UTFamilyInfo:AnimSets.AnimSets: unresolved reference to 'AnimSet'CH_TutChar.Anim.TutCharAni''
                  Log: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(18) : Warning, Invalid property value in defaults: 	AnimSets(0)=AnimSet'CH_TutChar.Anim.TutCharAni'
                  Log: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(24) : Warning, ObjectProperty UTGame.UTFamilyInfo:MasterSkeleton: unresolved reference to 'SkeletalMesh'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head''
                  Log: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\TutChar\Classes\UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar.uc(24) : Warning, Invalid property value in defaults: 	MasterSkeleton=SkeletalMesh'CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutChar_Head'
                  Log: 
                  Log: Success - 0 error(s), 6 warning(s)
                  Log: 
                  Execution of commandlet took:  17.49 seconds
                  Couple of my friends have completed this tutorial and have the exact same results. Look at the above code. Nice little warnings to make us happy!

Art1 has the same problems. Looking through his link was unhelpful as he was told to just forget about doing a custom rig/animation. For us the custom rig/animations are really important. Please help this tutorial is laid out really nicely would love more information on how to solve this issue.

Thanks
                  Andrew

Hi Andrew

m having the same problem :-

with this i can see default animations of the ut3 male character
                  PhysAsset=PHysicsAsset'CH_Dude.Mesh.KPW_Head_Physi cs'
                  AnimSets(0)=AnimSet'default male animation'
                  AnimSets(1)=AnimSet'CH_Dude.Anim.S_DudeAnims'

With this i can see no animations playing ingame character floating around only in character selection i can see my custom idle animations playing

PhysAsset=PHysicsAsset'CH_Dude.Mesh.KPW_Head_Physi cs'
                  AnimSets(0)=AnimSet'CH_Dude.Anim.S_DudeAnims'

"my build generates no error and no warnings"

can you help me solve this plzz
                  Cheers
                  cog

I can upload the files if anyone like to help in this......and i have also added customplayercontroller.uc, customUTPawn.uc and customSkeletonMeshComponent.uc but even with these i cant play custom animations

Comment

Hey kobra_k88

Thanks for the reply.

I eventually got it working even though i dont understand why exactly it works. Ill explain in case it will help someone else out.

DISCLAIMER

I'm a total inexperienced at this. I'm a decent programmer and have only had a few months worth of experience. Ill go ahead and tell you this cant be the way this is supposed to work but it worked for me.

END DISCLAIMER

Basically i went through the tutorial as is followed all the directions. Yes there are some typos so you got to fix those. Completing it exactly like the tutorial says for me gives me the warnings i described earlier. I did not test out Kobra's suggestion of putting the files in the published files as well as the unpublished. As i was using the -useunpublished parameter in the unreal tournament 3 exe. So kobra's idea is alot simplier so try that first. (We are going to test that next chance we get)

Basically for a couple hours me and my buddy tried to figure out why the hell unreal was looking for our tut_char package in the program files directory. So what we did makes no sense first we took our package and placed in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\CookedPC\Characters" folder. Obviously this isn't what we are supposed to do. But we compiled again, guess what no warnings/errors. Launch unreal and bamb error comes up about ambiguous tut_char. It was talking about how it was looking for tut_char here blah blah blah. I hit OK. Go to custom characters in the settings to take a look and look what we got here my custom character sitting there looking all pretty doing its idle. Well i didn't want that error coming up so i had to figure out what was going on.

So i look back into my "C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC" folder and guess what i see. A new folder called Character. WTF is that about. I didn't create that Well all i can guess is that unreal tried to figure out what i was doing with these files and placed it in the most meaningful area. OK so i figured that's what its doing went back to the program files Character folder and deleted the copy of the tut_char from there and any where else i had it. And made sure the new folder that was created has my only copy of the tut_char package. Ran ut3 again and what u know no errors it works perfectly.

So obviously this isnt the correct process of doing this but it works. As i type this right now i have a member of my team working on going through the process again. Our team will be creating 4 different custom characters each with their own animation sets so it is vital for us to get the process down. So i will be coming back here and letting you guys know our situation in the weeks to come. Cause we are all in the same boat.

Too Cog

Thanks for the reply. I feel your pain. I have no clue whats going on I would love to help you out but i have not came across your problem. Like i said before I'm a new unrealscripter. And how we got it to work was a fluke. All i can say is stick with it. And keep coming back here so we all can help each other out.

Comment

ok i don't want to knock Sevv's work but as you can see some people don't support their tutorials as much as others

the advice i gave Cog is to make a new animset with all the anims required by UT3, remember you need to use the correct names as this get called via code (all 138 anims) where the animtree comes in i'm not sure (maybe with anim blending) but this is how we did it in ut2004 and it also works in UT3 this way you can resize or add limbs or what ever to your rig/characters

Comment

@ajporter

I tried what you did too, initially, to get rid of the "ambiguous package name" warnings. But as you guessed correctly this is not the proper way to get rid of these warnings. As I stated and as geodav and others have stated in other threads, just put a copy of your package in both folders published and unpublished. They're just warnings so they won't actually cause any probs but it's better to get rid of them for trouble shooting purposes so that you can be sure you don't have any typos.

I've run into just about every prob you can imagine with custom rigs and animations but since I got through the whole process it's actually pretty straight forward once you know what to watch out for.

What isn't covered in this tut yet is the relationship between ones cust char rig, the animtree, and skel controls. The animtree blends different animations together to create smooth and seemless transitions. Take a character's run cycle for example. Only 4 directions need to be animated, forward, back, left, right. The diagonal directions are created by blending these separate directions together with the animtree. I haven't found a way to use the default custom character code with a custom animtree yet so I set up my rig and animations to utilize epics animtree. Specifically I used epics bone names and included all of the "Ik" bones. The "IK" bones are used by the skeletal controls to control foot and arm placement in game. That means if you wan't your anims to work properly you'll need to do the same. Unless, that is, you know how to modify scripts related to custom characters or are doing a total conversion or mod in which you will use your own animtree.

You also need to make sure the bones in your rig use the same hierarchy as epics' rigs. This is just a standard bone hierarchy that is most commonly used. This has to do with the fact that your custom animations will be blended with the "baseoffset" animations. These animations are just 1 frame poses for the various directions your character will face such as up, down, left, right, ect. As with the animtree I do not know how to utilize or define a custom set of "baseoffset" animations.

Comment

need help

ok so i followed the tut and got everything working other than the animation, just a question for all the experienced guys, i'm currently trying to bring a character in and wondering if there is a more efficient way to get a custom character and rig into unreal without breaking the geometry into the separate parts, and as far as animation goes is there a way you have to name your animations for unreal to understand.

excuse the questions i'm just new to unreal and was wondering whats the best way to bring in characters.

thanks for being patient. any help would be appreciated.

Comment

try a different tutorial, as mentioned above i doubt this one is supported by the author.

ps you'll find the info you need on my site

Comment

Hey, dyudes. For this part
                              [UTGame.UTCustomChar_Data]

+Parts= (Part=PART_Head,ObjectName="CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutCha r_head",PartID="TutChar_head",FamilyID="CHT")

+Parts= (Part=PART_Torso,ObjectName="CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutCh ar_torso",PartID="TutChar_torso",FamilyID="CHT")

+Parts= (Part=PART_Arms,ObjectName="CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutCha r_arms",PartID="TutChar_arms",FamilyID="CHT")

+Parts= (Part=PART_Thighs,ObjectName="CH_CharTest.Mesh.Cha rTest_legs",PartID="TutChar_legs",FamilyID="CHT")

+Parts= (Part=PART_Boots,ObjectName="CH_TutChar.Mesh.TutCh ar_boots",PartID="TutChar_boots",FamilyID="CHT")

+Characters=(CharName="TutChar",Description="Custo m Character",CharID="TutChar",Faction="IronGuard", PreviewImageMarkup="<Images:UI_Portrait.Character. UI_Portrait_Character_TwinSouls_Male_Head03>", CharData=(FamilyID="CHT",HeadID="TutChar_head",Tor soID="TutChar_torso",bHasLeftShoPad=false, bHasRightShoPad=false, ArmsID="TutChar_arms", ThighsID="TutChar_legs", BootsID="TutChar_boots") , AIData=(Jumpiness=-0.4,StrafingAbility=-0.2,CombatStyle=0.5,FavoriteWeapon="UTGame.UTWeap_ RocketLauncher"))

+ModFamilies=TutChar.UTFamilyInfo_CH_TutChar
                              Do I have to replace the entire ini file or do I add the those lines in?

Comment

hey

im no expert, but i did not replace my ini file. leave that alone in the config folder. instead add your custom character ini file in your published>cookedPC>CustomChars folder with your .upk file. try that and proof read your .ini i had a problem where i copied a script that had different type quotation marks than notepad does so unreal didnt read it. let me tell you it took for ever to notice such an insignificant mistake.

Comment

Working...
                                X