Floating Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floating Islands

Is there a way to make a floating island?

Using a static mesh. You model one in a 3rd party application and texture it there. If you want a lower quality alternative you could do one with BSP too.

Perhaps use a mix of normal terrain and a 3D mesh.

Comment

So, you couldn't make a mountain-type terrain and just flip it and hide under another one?
      Also, how come when I add a terrain and no brush, I die? Like I make a terrain, add a skydome, disable the collision on the skydome, then test it and die. Basically, when I just have terrain, I die.

Comment

that's weird, but maybe your clicking on the terrain in a wrong way. try going into the top camera view and then right click and test it. also, you could put an upside down terrain under your terrain for an island, but its trickier than making a mesh, because you can use
        materials provided by epic for the mesh and if you want a better landscape on top, than you can add a terrain thats smaller than the top of the mesh a little bit under the surface
        and raise the center(not the edges) how you want the top to look

Comment

I don't mean to shamelessly plug my map, but I did a CTF map with floating islands. There was also a DM map created earlier on... DM-Gardenofdreams I think?

Anyway, I used either a simple static mesh, or added terrain and blended the sides with mesh. Terrain peices looked a lot nicer and were a lot easier to work with.

Download the map and open it in the editor if you want to learn more about my technique. I'm still refining the process, but it should do for now. Let me know if that helps. :P The download link is in my signature.

Oh, and for the dieing thing? Make sure you build all. Sounds weird to me.

Comment

Your map might crash me editor. I run the minimum requirements.

Comment

Working...
            X