Output text using Kismet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Output text using Kismet?

What ways are there to output text to the screen using Kismet? I know you can have a kismet function output a comment but are there any other ways?

I would also like the text to appear on the player's screen, only if the player performed the action - not if a bot does.

In Kismet you can use the comment as you mentioned or you can use a "LOG" node and attach a string with your message to it. One other way that works is to use the "Play Announcement" node which gives you a choice of sound and/or text. That will place the message in bigger blue letters on the right side of the screen where the others put it in with the chat messages. Since I am not at the game pc right now...
    You can use a trigger volume to set off the message, a trigger event in kismet and connect instigator to an object variable representing the player and the touch output of the trigger event to the "in" of the Play announcement node. This MIGHT make the message only viewable for a player...am not sure. If you expose variable on the announcment node you might be able to select a target and attach it to the object variable attached to the trigger node instigator, but I don't know if it works that way. I think it was a way to place a message at an item but I never got the message to move from the right side of the screen. There is also a Set Tutorial Message but it has some garbage appended to the message you type so I don't think that would work. Those are the ones off the top of my head.

EDIT: Just talked to a friend to try it and the message plays but everyone sees it...sorry

Comment

Working...
    X