X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should builds be taking 2 hours literally

I have an amd 3500+

It depends on so much.

The biggest cause of long build times in my experience is inefficient use of lightmapping.

Try turning down the lightmap resolution on as many static meshes as possible - use vertex lighting if you can get away with it. I tend to start with vertex lighting on all smeshes except for those which use a higher poly count. Where I do have to use lightmaps, I set the resolution to something extremely low, like 32 or even 16. Then you can selectively turn up the resolution where you require sharp shadow detail, or where there are lighting artifacts.

Also, for BSP surfaces, I believe you need to increase the number to reduce the lightmap resolution (ie. a setting of 4 or 8 results in a highly detailed - huge and slow to build in other words - light map, while a setting of 512 or 1024 will be much faster).

Starting with low resolution lightmaps or vertex lighting will allow you to test the map's layout quickly and easily, before getting into the nitty gritty of improving the overall lighting quality in your level.

Comment

fwiw, I have clogged myself up in the past by overly complex pathing - its easy to end up with >1000 nodes in an intricate map but just not worth it! Also, never use 4 lights where 1 will do - its faster to just duplicate a standard light, and may even look better, but lighting is usually my culprit with long build times.

Comment

its a large outdoor terrain is there some setting for terrain I can change and it is static lighting that takes forever

Comment

How many lights do you have effecting the terrain? And how large is it?

Terrain shouldn't take too terribly long, but you should check one setting to be sure. Open up your terrain properties, and go to the lighting tab. There, ensure that 'bIsOverridingLightResolution' is unchecked (this should be the default).

Something you might want to test, actually, would be to check the 'bIsOverridingLightResolution' and then enter in a value of 4 or 8 into the StaticLightingResolution property below it. You can enter a higher/lower value if you want, but the build time will increase/decrease and your lightmap texture usage will increase/decrease relative to this number. Be careful.

Comment

How much RAM does your system have? Unreal ED requires quite a bit of RAM. I had 2GB but upgraded to 4GB when unreal ed would start thrashing my disc due to swapping. Once it starts swapping build times are going to increase significantly.

How big is your lightmap once built? Check under generic browser window -> primitive stats tab. As far as I recall the biggest lightmap on a stock map is ~40MB. It's always good to compare your stats with a comparable stock map and see where maybe you can do some improvements.

My build time for something like WAR-Torlan is around 20-25 minutes on a core2duo 6600 + 4GB + vista 64.

Comment

I also have a 3500, and 2 gb ram and 2x7800gts in my PC that i use to build maps and to give an exsample, my map safguard takes 10mins to build,

my map has more lights then CTF hyrdo I carnt remember the number but it allot, Im guessing 2000 but i could be wrong, by defult the mesh lightmaps are set to vertex lighting and if you have changes this then that will cause long build times, on my new map Iv had to use hi rez light maps for some meshes and in adds minuts to my build time, I havnt worked with terrain yet so I carnt comment on that but there is never a real need to use high rez light maps on BSP, as for meshes there is not much need to change this. so yes check your light maps.

Comment

Originally posted by faultymoose View Post
                It depends on so much.
                After reading the thread, I realized no one asked whether or not he is using an additive or subtractive level. Being an outdoors level, I presume it's an additive one.

If you use the subtractive method, it really adds to the build time.

Comment

I've been wondering - does scaling up a mesh mean there's a bigger lightmap on it too? For example, if you're using a small-ish rock mesh scaled up 30 times or so to form a very distant mountain silhouette or something, would it take longer to build than if it was normal size?

Comment

Originally posted by Setheran View Post
                    does scaling up a mesh mean there's a bigger lightmap on it too? For example, if you're using a small-ish rock mesh scaled up 30 times or so to form a very distant mountain silhouette or something, would it take longer to build than if it was normal size?
                    I would think so. While scaling a static mesh doesn't take up more resources (or that much more), any shadows on it or that it casts could make a difference in build times and FPS performance while in the game.

Comment

Working...
                    X