Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATED! Kismet Stuff: Exploding Barrels, Thunder & Cloud Flash & Demo Map!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Well, you don't HAVE to download it.

There is a thread in this forum that has a link to the file...around 720 megs. If it is the one I had I was unable to do the breakable objects and as far as the tutorials go, I had no tutorials! It said tutorials but never found them, just the example maps. Otherwise look for AGEIA PhysX Extreme UT3 Mod-Pack.msi which has two maps (Lighthouse is nice for broken glass and walls) or AGEIA_UT3_Master_Installer.exe which is what I had and includes demo maps for all sorts of stuff (it is actually a larger version of the first one). I wonder if NOT having the Physx Card kept me from doing the broken mesh and Bridge tutorial. Otherwise you may have to make your own static meshes and textures for the broken parts (to look really good that is).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Theres a kit you have to download?

-EJon

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't know yet, though there are several threads that talk about it and a map or two such as DM-Blockland and DM-Nowhere and the downloadable AGEIA PhysX kit and tutorial.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for this information, its greatly appreciated

Would you know however, how to make it where buildings, and meshes etc... can be destroyed? Using the PhysX and kismet? Thanks,

-EJon

Leave a comment:

• replied
    LOL Thanks! Hopefully in a few hours I will modify this thread heavily and include a Test Lab with a number of items in it already posted and a few not posted. Just trying to get some explanations in right now.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My hero's!!! If I can get this to work, my maps will be so much better.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just stick a trigger in place of the Level Beginning event in the bottom Kismet picture I would imagine, and change the delay.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Eldraad View Post
    Cloud Flash and Thunder

Kismet: I am assuming you know where in Kismet to find this stuff.

And again, this is not really a Tutorial...it is simply the way I made my notes (yes, third person...I talk to myself alot )

Do you have a dark, stormy sky that is just begging for a little Flash and Thunder (or a LOT of flash and Thunder)? This sequence is what I used to cover a relatively boring sky and give it some life. Although there are no Lightning strikes, it gives warning of what may come.

An example of the Cloud Flash this sequence can produce…

This is presented in two parts. The first part covers the actual Cloud Flash, Thunder and a quick flash of light for lighting up the scenery. The second part is simply the Start of the sequence and what I used to randomize which section of sky lights up and where the thunder comes from

The Kismet sequence below can be broken into three sections: 1) The timing of the Thunder, 2) the Glow in the sky for the Cloud Flash and 3) The flicker of light on the scenery.

For now, let’s start at the top and work our way down section by section.

The first connection from the Remote Event node goes to the Start input of a Delay node and the Turn On input of a Toggle node. The Target connection of the Toggle node connects to an “Ambient Sound Simple Toggleable” object that represents the sound for our Thunder. The Delay node will act as a Stop switch for the sound. Since they are both started at the same time the Delay node is timed to trigger a few tenths of a second AFTER the thunder sound has stopped. In other words, the float value is the length of the sound used plus a tenth of a second or so more. Each sound I used has a time amount attached to it when you look at it in the Generic Browser and the Float value is connected to the Duration of the Delay with that time in mind (plus the few tenths of a second extra). Why it was done like that is simple: The blasted Non-looping sound I chose for my thunder kept LOOPING! This really drove me crazy, and the Delay node was my solution to the problem. The Finished output of the Delay node connects to the Toggle at the Turn Off input, effectively stopping the thunder at the proper place. The Finished output of the Delay node also connects back at the Delay nodes Stop input and resets the Delay node.

The second connection from the Remote Event goes to the UnHide input of a Toggle Hidden node. There is also a Level Beginning event node connected to the Hide input of the Toggle Hidden node, so the static meshes used for the cloud flashes are hidden at startup. The Target of the Toggle Hidden node is connected to two Object variables representing the two static meshes used for the cloud flash. Each static mesh sheet has a different texture applied to it and one mesh is overlapping the other. I did it this way, again, for variety as I have six randomly chosen sequences. This way I can have different positions for the meshes of each sequence and get a different effect. The signal continues from the Toggle Hidden nodes output to the Start input of a Delay node. At the Duration input I have another Float Value. This will time how long the static meshes become visible (remember, it is just a flash). You can set the amount of Duration inside the Delay Node itself, but I was just learning to use the Float value when I made the sequence. The output of the Delay node connects back to the Toggle Hidden nodes Hide input and turns off the static mesh “flash”.

The final connection from the Remote Event node goes to the Play input of a Matinee node. The Matinee data connected to the Matinee nodes Data input contains a light pattern (simply a change in brightness) for the PontLightToggleable actor used for the flash of light that highlights part of the area for visual effects. The Completed output connects back to the Matinee nodes Stop input. The Flicker connection on the Matinee node is what I named my sequence for the light change.

There is also a connection from the Level Beginning node to the Play input of the Matinee node. This was a quick and dirty attempt to cover up a problem. The problem being that the Flicker light seemed to be on when the level started and would clear after the first sequence was activated. Putting the connection to the Matinee Stop did no good. Now, sometimes it is on and sometimes off. Anyone know of the proper way to handle this?

As explained at the beginning, There is a Kismet sequence used to trigger the whole thing off consisting of a Level Beginning node connected to a Delay node which then passes to a Random Switch and finally to the other end of the Remote event:

The Float Variable connected to the Delay nodes duration input is a Random Float which allows you to set a wider start time to trigger the Cloud Flashes and I have this set to trigger between 7 and 12 seconds after the level has started. The Finished output of the Delay node connects to a Random Switch and back to the Delay nodes Start input to retrigger the sequence. Each Link of the Random Switch node connects to its own Activate Remote Event node. This way the receiving Remote Event node attached to the individual Lightning sequences will know when to trigger. The Random Switch node is just that, random, and keeps the scene from repeating itself over and over again with the same pattern.
    Just what i'm looking for just need to work out how to use a trigger to set it of so it appears random.Cheers

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do you mean...Post my Testing Facility? I agree. The problem is I would have to dress it up a bit so it looks "nice" and not like a warehouse and that could take me...awhile . I was thinking maybe just post links to the notes instead of taking up all of this valuable real estate.

The best thing would be OTHER people also posting their Kismet stuff (because I will run low after the "Do I have the InstagibRifle" sequence) as people alway have a different way of doing things that lead to MORE things. Is there still a way to imbed a text document into the map with relevent info? As soon as I get the gas pipe set up I will get it going.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Eldraad, why don't you knock this up into an example map, and make a more permanent copy that people can really learn from ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Cloud Flash and Thunder

And again, this is not really a Tutorial...it is simply the way I made my notes (yes, third person...I talk to myself alot )

Do you have a dark, stormy sky that is just begging for a little Flash and Thunder (or a LOT of flash and Thunder)? This sequence is what I used to cover a relatively boring sky and give it some life. Although there are no Lightning strikes, it gives warning of what may come.

An example of the Cloud Flash this sequence can produce…

For this sequence in use http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=612331

This is presented in two parts. The first part covers the actual Cloud Flash, Thunder and a quick flash of light for lighting up the scenery. The second part is simply the Start of the sequence and what I used to randomize which section of sky lights up and where the thunder comes from

The Kismet sequence below can be broken into three sections: 1) The timing of the Thunder, 2) the Glow in the sky for the Cloud Flash and 3) The flicker of light on the scenery.

For now, let’s start at the top and work our way down section by section.

The first connection from the Remote Event node goes to the Start input of a Delay node and the Turn On input of a Toggle node. The Target connection of the Toggle node connects to an “Ambient Sound Simple Toggleable” object that represents the sound for our Thunder. The Delay node will act as a Stop switch for the sound. Since they are both started at the same time the Delay node is timed to trigger a few tenths of a second AFTER the thunder sound has stopped. In other words, the float value is the length of the sound used plus a tenth of a second or so more. Each sound I used has a time amount attached to it when you look at it in the Generic Browser and the Float value is connected to the Duration of the Delay with that time in mind (plus the few tenths of a second extra). Why it was done like that is simple: The blasted Non-looping sound I chose for my thunder kept LOOPING! This really drove me crazy, and the Delay node was my solution to the problem. The Finished output of the Delay node connects to the Toggle at the Turn Off input, effectively stopping the thunder at the proper place. The Finished output of the Delay node also connects back at the Delay nodes Stop input and resets the Delay node.

The second connection from the Remote Event goes to the UnHide input of a Toggle Hidden node. There is also a Level Beginning event node connected to the Hide input of the Toggle Hidden node, so the static meshes used for the cloud flashes are hidden at startup. The Target of the Toggle Hidden node is connected to two Object variables representing the two static meshes used for the cloud flash. Each static mesh sheet has a different texture applied to it and one mesh is overlapping the other. I did it this way, again, for variety as I have six randomly chosen sequences. This way I can have different positions for the meshes of each sequence and get a different effect. The signal continues from the Toggle Hidden nodes output to the Start input of a Delay node. At the Duration input I have another Float Value. This will time how long the static meshes become visible (remember, it is just a flash). You can set the amount of Duration inside the Delay Node itself, but I was just learning to use the Float value when I made the sequence. The output of the Delay node connects back to the Toggle Hidden nodes Hide input and turns off the static mesh “flash”.

The final connection from the Remote Event node goes to the Play input of a Matinee node. The Matinee data connected to the Matinee nodes Data input contains a light pattern (simply a change in brightness) for the PontLightToggleable actor used for the flash of light that highlights part of the area for visual effects. The Completed output connects back to the Matinee nodes Stop input. The Flicker connection on the Matinee node is what I named my sequence for the light change.

There is also a connection from the Level Beginning node to the Play input of the Matinee node. This was a quick and dirty attempt to cover up a problem. The problem being that the Flicker light seemed to be on when the level started and would clear after the first sequence was activated. Putting the connection to the Matinee Stop did no good. Now, sometimes it is on and sometimes off. Anyone know of the proper way to handle this?

As explained at the beginning, There is a Kismet sequence used to trigger the whole thing off consisting of a Level Beginning node connected to a Delay node which then passes to a Random Switch and finally to the other end of the Remote event:

The Float Variable connected to the Delay nodes duration input is a Random Float which allows you to set a wider start time to trigger the Cloud Flashes and I have this set to trigger between 7 and 12 seconds after the level has started. The Finished output of the Delay node connects to a Random Switch and back to the Delay nodes Start input to retrigger the sequence. Each Link of the Random Switch node connects to its own Activate Remote Event node. This way the receiving Remote Event node attached to the individual Lightning sequences will know when to trigger. The Random Switch node is just that, random, and keeps the scene from repeating itself over and over again with the same pattern.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you. The next one up should be for Thunder and Cloud Flash...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Excellent post Eldraad, I'm pretty sure I'll need to do something like this or similar to this in the near future...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    A Simple Exploding Barrel with Respawn

The Kismet sequence above allows you to place a non movable Barrel, blow it up causing damage to those nearby and after a set amount of time it will respawn.

This section shows how to hide the barrel and trigger the explosion:
    For this test I used an InterpActor Take Damage node (representing the barrel) and connected the output to the Hide connection of a Toggle Hidden node. The Target of the Toggle Hidden nod is connected to a Object variable representing the Barrel. The output of the Toggle Hidden node goes to a Change Collision node which turns off the collision of the static mesh barrel (so you don’t bump into anything where the barrel used to be). The Target is also connected to the Object variable representing the barrel. The output of the Change Collision node connects to the input of a Cause Radial Damage node (This is where the pain comes in) and you can set the amount of damage caused from inside the node. This time the target is connected to one of the emitters attached inside the barrel. It could just as easily be attached to the barrel itself. The Instigator connection is attached to an Object variable representing the player, who, if too close, gets an explosion in the face and the damage that goes with it. The output of the Cause Damage Radial node connects to a normal Toggle and triggers the emitters at the Toggles target connection. I used three emitters here for a big, messy explosion with smoke and flying debris. The output of the Toggle connects to a Play Sound node that is set for the explosion sound we want to hear. The target of the Play Sound node is connected to one of the emitters attached to the barrel and is the focal point for the sound. Since the emitter is in the barrel the sound appears to come from the barrel during the explosion.

This section shows how to respawn the barrel for the next explosion:
    The same InterpActor Take Damage node that started all of this is also connected (by the output) to a Delay node and by the Instigator connection to the Object variable representing the player. The Delay node can be set by the user for the delay time desired before the barrel respawns. Once the delay time has expired, the output is sent to another Toggle Hidden node at its UnHide connection. Notice that there are two different Toggle Hidden nodes in the sequence above? Why not just use the same one with the Hide and UnHide connectors being used? The answer for me was: Because the output of that toggle will still trigger the Change Collision Node then the Cause Damage Radial and the explosion etc. I am sure something can be worked out with a gate or something but this is easy to see and understand. The target of the Toggle Hidden is again connected to the InterpActor variable representing the Barrel. The output then passes to another Change Collision node and its target is connected to the InterpActor variable representing the barrel. This will turn the static mesh’s collision back on (making it a solid object to be bumped into again).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Cewl, ill try it out later.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X