• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynamic Shadow Distance

EDIT
    I have a pot, like in deck seen here,
    http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/2...tshadowlx6.png

I want to cast shadows of the meshes at the top of the pot up to the selling, but it seems that movable lights cannot cast composite shadows, i don't have a problem with non movable ones. I have tryed a light function using a texture from the game as i didn't want to waste time making one and find that it wouldn't work on a movable light as well, this didnt seem to work ether..

Dynamic shadows work but is also a waste of time as you have to be real close to the mesh for the shadows to be visible.

how is this so hard in UE3. can some one help.
    /EDIT

I have a moving dynamic light, Imagen the pot that goes arround deck, but I want the light I have placed in it to cast dynamic shadows from the meshes on to its surroundings. I got a few meshes that will cast shadows, and I have found that the mesh shadows are not visible unless I am very close to the mesh, i think its maybe a mesh setting becuase the shadows just dont apair for a mesh unless im real close. im talking real close like the hight of a player... surely these would be of better use if they could be seen at a distance. I sthere are setting for this. I tryed increassing settings that I thought would have an affect, but nothing.

I do not want to use composit shadows, although I am aswell. would like to learn hot to get this to work rather then use other methods.

Can anyone help with this.

That is an engine-level setting that is in an .ini file. You can override it, but it will only work on your PC. You should use the CompositeDynamic shadows and LightEnvironments for dynamic shadows as they "should" be easier on your processor.

Comment

so its determined by the PC? i thought I have a pretty decent PC, id like to test your thery, whats the setting in the INI? I thought the distance I have to be to see them is pathetic

Comment

I heard that was an LOD setting issue. If you have a "pop" with your shadows you need to increase the visible setting at which they appear to you. You need to adjust it one way or the other I guess on the actor that is casting the shadow? I'm not sure but I think I just saw Ambershee on one of his tutorials suggest it.

Hope that helps.

Comment

i have found no such settings, but on that note, im going to change my post:, now i cant even use a composite shadow

I have a pot, like in deck seen here,
          http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/2...tshadowlx6.png

I want to cast shadows of the meshes at the top of the pot up to the selling, but it seems that movable lights cannot cast composite shadows, i don't have a problem with non movable ones. I have tryed a light function using a texture from the game as i didn't want to waste time making one and find that it wouldn't work on a movable light as well, this didnt seem to work ether..

Dynamic shadows work but is also a waste of time as you have to be real close to the mesh for the shadows to be visible.

how is this so hard in UE3. can some one help.

Comment

Working...
          X