UT3 Tutorial: A Quick Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 Tutorial: A Quick Map

Here's a short tutorial I wrote for basic UT3 mapping. You should be able to complete this in an evening or less. It's accurate but I must confess I'm working from memory, because I 'Re-cooked' my UT3, literally... but more on that later.

UT3 Mapping - Making a Quick Map
    by Bongoskinz

1st, be aware that when you open the editor, you are NOT looking at a blank map, ready to start creating in. You must choose 'new' and choose a mode for map creation, whether it be Additive or Subtractive before beginning a new map project.

1. For simplicity, we'll choose 'Additive' mode.

The screen remains the same, but now you can place objects anywhere. (The bare nessessities of a functional map in UT3 remains the same as UT2004 - space in which to move, light to see by, and a place to start from.)

2. Right click on the cube builder brush icon in the toolbox (same as UT2004) to bring up the size prefs. Input height 32, width 2048, breadth 2048. Click build & close. You'll see the red box has changed. Click it & hold cntrl to move it where you want.

3. Go to the Generic browser, open a package from UT3/PCGame/CookedPC/Environments/, and choose a Material before proceeding to the next step...

4. When you clicked 'build' in the cube brush dialogue, you didn't make anything, you only defined the size of what is about to be made, by going to the 'Add' button in the toolbox, you'll actually be making it, and it will have the texture you selected in the Generic browser when it's done.
    Click 'Add' and you'll see it with a texture, now it actually exists. You can add meshes by opening environment packages & placing the meshes - right click on the surface you made, 'place static meshname here' from the popup... real easy.

NOTE When importing anything custom into the generic browser, you'll be presented with a dialogue in which you are asked to specify what Package you want to store it in. This is important - give it a unique name, and import everything into that package, then save the package, don't change the name at save time or it won't work, it must remain the same unique name. Save it in the corresponding older in your MyDocuments UT3 folder, in CookedPC under Unpublished. If it's a map, save it in CustomMaps in Unpublished, if it's a meshes & texs Package, save it in Environments in Unpublished. The game engine will shift the files around if they're placed incorrectly sometimes.

5. After you placed a playerstart, some lights, and a skydome (just look one up in the Sky package from Generic browser) you're ready to Build.
    Build All from the Build menu, then save the map with DM- prefix in the name. It's best to test in the editor, choose 'play map' from the Build menu, check it out. If you're happy with it and you want it to appear in the menu & be able to play it online or on PS3, there's one last step....

6. Quit the Editor, go to the UT3 folder, in Binaries you will find the Unreal Frontend, double click it to start it. Remember the map name exactly, because you want to enter it in the field & press 'Cook'. Check that you have specified what platform you wish to make it for - It will make the level, and it will subsequently appear in the MyDocuments/Ut3/CookedPC/Published/CustomMaps folder, and you will see it in your menu, and if you host it online others can join.

Never 'Re-cook all'. I have to reinstall UT3 cuz I tested it...!

I look forward to seeing more cool maps for this amazing software coming from you, let me know if this helped.
    cheers

I'm just curious about Unreal Frontend... many ppl mention it but I cook the map in UnrealEd (because I can see the icon :-) which isn't hint to blindness... only to screen resolution and missing menu item for it). What are advantages of Unreal Frontend?

Also... during import - I'd go for map name as a package name - so you don't have another package.

Small pictured minitutorial for the simple but fully playable cube level is also here :-)
    http://utmapping.wikidot.com/how-to-...imple-cube-map

It is subtractive though but it's mentioned there that additive is the right way.

Comment

Cooking in the editor

Thanks for that tip, I'm usually in 1024x768 rez when im in the editor, so I've never seen that icon.

I'm also hopeful that my tutorial is accurate with respect to placement of custom files, originally I tried saving into the UT3 folder, but the software moved the files after the next loadup, into the locations I specified in the tutorial above. That is my only proof that it's the correct place to put them.

Comment

Cooking in the editor

Thanks for that tip, I'm usually in 1024x768 rez when im in the editor, so I've never seen that icon.

I'm also hopeful that my tutorial is accurate with respect to placement of custom files, originally I tried saving into the UT3 folder, but the software moved the files after the next loadup, into the locations I specified in the tutorial above. That is my only proof that it's the correct place to put them.

PS Nice tutorial, Virgo.

Comment

Working...
        X