Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light beam from the sun!

Hi guys,

DGUnreal or any skilled UE3 guys... I wanna make somekind of lightbeam. Like... comming from the sky through the clouds...

Really similar to this

And maybe also similar to this:

Must I use a spotlight in these cases or it's really something else? I saw a map that add something like that, but I can't remember and find it ... and I didn't understood it yet so I would like help. I have two days left to finish my map so I would appreciate any help .

The actual situation is here, I photoshoped the Screeshots to give a better overview of what I want to achieve with this section of the map.

It's actually pre-alpha.. so forget any conclusion lol. It's actually not going to be playable, but... I'm making this map for the Epic Games community so...

When this section will be done, would you prefer to have it in the gorgeous background or have it playable?

MODIF:
    I also remember this static meshes (look at the light, I remembered that I took this screenshot so... it's not to show anything else lol). It looks interesting, but it isn'T exactly the kind of light beam I want to produce.

th guys
    PEACE!

There are static meshes you can use for this kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
      There are static meshes you can use for this kind of thing.
      Great, I'll search for it, thx ambershee. If you have any optimized solution, please don't be shy!

I'm also going to add any helpers in the credits of the map, it is greatly appreciated guys!

Community for the win seriously

Comment

I believe they're in a package called 'EngineVolumetrics' or something along those lines.

Comment

The packages you want are EngineVolumetrics and UN_Volumetrics. They contains the meshes and lightbeam Materials.

Have a look at the stock maps to see how they are using these. My NecrisIsland map is also using these.

Open the Volumetrics package and in it you will find a number of beam meshes and materials. Note that you may have to insert more than one mesh to get your effect especially if the player has the ability to look directly down the beam, and 3D scale them as desired, but try to not allow the volumetric mesh to intersect with world geometry or you may see the actual intersection edge of the mesh.

You can also create a MaterialInstanceConstant in your map package and assign one of the lightbeam Materials to it so that you can tweak various settings such as the amount of transparency of the beam. Then override the Material slot in the staticmesh properties and assign your custom MIC to it.

For beams where the player can look down the length of it, the beam will of course disappear (they only work when looking sideways onto them), in which case you may have to resort to spotlights and fog volumes or other tricks to get the effect you want.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
            The packages you want are EngineVolumetrics and UN_Volumetrics. They contains the meshes and lightbeam Materials.

Have a look at the stock maps to see how they are using these. My NecrisIsland map is also using these.

Open the Volumetrics package and in it you will find a number of beam meshes and materials. Note that you may have to insert more than one mesh to get your effect especially if the player has the ability to look directly down the beam, and 3D scale them as desired, but try to not allow the volumetric mesh to intersect with world geometry or you may see the actual intersection edge of the mesh.

You can also create a MaterialInstanceConstant in your map package and assign one of the lightbeam Materials to it so that you can tweak various settings such as the amount of transparency of the beam. Then override the Material slot in the staticmesh properties and assign your custom MIC to it.

For beams where the player can look down the length of it, the beam will of course disappear (they only work when looking sideways onto them), in which case you may have to resort to spotlights and fog volumes or other tricks to get the effect you want.
            Really cool info guys, thx
            Useful as usual both of you, I must say I'm totally impressed by the number of times you helped the people here.

Comment

There a couple meshes and different colored materials for them in LT_Lights I believe. Looks like you could resize them to make what you need.

Comment

LT_Lights: http://utmapping.wikidot.com/smc-lt-light
                UN_Volumetrics: http://utmapping.wikidot.com/smc-un-volumetrics
                EngineVolumetrics: http://utmapping.wikidot.com/smc-enginevolumetrics (thanks DG ;-))

Comment

Working...
                X