Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

custom meshes in a level combined, or seperate instances.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custom meshes in a level combined, or seperate instances.

is it better to import custom meshes for a level as a bunch of peices that get instanced over and over, or for say on a wall... group them all together.... which runs better, performance drawbacks?

This depends on a number of things ... including how many textures are applied to each model. As far as i am aware if more than one texture is applied to a model, lets say two for example, then unreal will split the model into two parts, so where you originally had one model Unreal handles it as two, One part for each of the textures and three parts if the model had three textures etc etc.

This is my basic explanation and i'm sure it's not as straight forward as this ( their will be other deciding factors) but you can find more info about it in these very forums as it has been discussed a few times before.

Comment

I believe what you are describing is loosely called, 'modular design' - as you are working with broken down elements/modules to built up larger structures. Here is a link to a page at UDN on the topic - you'll find a PDF there: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ModularLevelDesign.html The article doesn't offer too many tips, aside from pivot point placement, but it is a good read.

Another cool thing about modular design, is that you can release the source for your map and allow others to remix it since the meshes are more flexible.

Comment

With UE3 mesh size also matters for lighting, so a house for example should be split into component parts. A map shouldn't be a small number of really large meshes if possible. Otherwise when "touched" by dynamic lights the entire large mesh gets a redraw.

Comment

I ran into similar problem. I created (with nurbs, pain and cursing) huge rock mesh, in hope it raises FPS in certain spots. Then I vertex painted it (really cool stuff) with 3 colors and I made working 3 layer vertex painted material. Mesh count dropped from 9000 to 7000, difference was all those rocks used to build canyon walls. But FPS also dropped from 140 to 90.

Now I am not sure if i should continue then cut that huge mesh to pieces (for occlusion), or i just should load backup map from point I decided to try mesh. I know big part of this is that vertex paint material, and size of brush (also it is not optimized yet, i need get it to final shape first).

Comment

How huge is huge for the rock? Size only matters regarding dynamic light touches.

Before changing or scrapping things I would run a stat engine etc. over the map and actually see where the performance hit is occurring. Any number of things could be causing it... unwelded vertices, open edges, high instruction count shaders, overly large lightmaps, no simplified collision, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X