Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a minimum to the texture size allowed in Unreal Ed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a minimum to the texture size allowed in Unreal Ed?

I needed an imported mesh to be a solid color, and I had the texture applied to the mesh when I exported it from Maya. But when I imported it into UEd and put it in a map, it was textureless.

I imported the texture into UnrealEd, and tried applying it that way, but it didn't work. It showed up in the generic Browser and everything, but when I tried to apply it to the mesh, nothing happened.

Is 16x16 too low?

There is no minimum size.

There is also absolutely no point making a flat colour texture when you can just use a vector parameter...

Edit: You don't apply 'textures' to objects. You need to create materials first.

Comment

1xN and 2xN textures will also not be DXT compressed but will be RGBA8 eg. 2x2 or 2x256.
      FYI the 1xN or 2xN is the best way to create gradients as it doesn't get compressed and artifacted.
      And a 1x1 texture should also be done as a Vector 3 Parameter, however that size on import crashes my UEd, so it probably will for others.

Comment

1x1 and 1xN isn't power of two - to be fair, it's a pretty silly thing to attempt anyway :lol: ; with the possible exception of 1xN, for gradients like you mention - but I'd still probably have it at least a few pixels high, so it can actually be seen in the generic browser >.<

Comment

2^0 = 1.
          IIRC there are some 1xN textures in the Epic packages.
          Regarding seeing it in the browser, that's why I mentioned 2xN for gradients, such as 2x256, that's what I use.
          If you use 4xN or higher you may get DXT artifacting on it. Perfect horz or vert ones shouldn't artifact, but then the larger you go the more texture pool for a simple gradient.

Comment

Doh, always forget anything ^ 0 >.<

You can always remove DXT compression on import, I guess

Comment

All UE3/UT3 textures get compressed. Uncompressed is not supported and you cannot bypass this unless you are working on a modified licensee version of the engine that added RGBA8 to the CompressionSettings and texture management.
              The most you can do is defer compression, which then compresses when the package is saved (unless it fails for some bug reason). If you have licensee access this is covered in the mail list.
              The only way around texture compression is to import the three RGB split planes as G8's and recombine them in a material.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                There is no minimum size.

There is also absolutely no point making a flat colour texture when you can just use a vector parameter...

Edit: You don't apply 'textures' to objects. You need to create materials first.
                I didn't even think about that when trying to do this. And I have no idea what a vector parameter is. I'm new to modeling and texturing.

Comment

When I stated UE3, I didn't know what it was either. Basically, it allows one to create an initial color and alpha, give it a Name (very important or else it is nothing more than a Constant4Vector), and apply it to element(s) within a Material. That Name can be used from a MaterialInstanceConstant which modifies the original Material.

Look at LT_Deco and find M_LT_Deco_SM_Sign01_Blue which is a MaterialInstance. Look at specifically the VectorParameter. It modifies a color of the parent, which is LT_Deco.SM.Materials.M_LT_Deco_SM_Sign01, changing the yellow to teal.

Correctly designed, a material doesn't have to be recreated. Using Parameter based MaterialExpressions allows for changes with minimal overhead. Your asked about VectorParameter which is just one of several.

Comment

In the generic browser, right click and create a new material.

In that material, right click and create a new constant 3 vector expression. The three values are RGB respectively - set them to an appropriate value.

Connect the constant vector 3 to the diffuse box.

Instant flat colour material.

Follow this tutorial for a bit of a heads up on materials:
                    http://www.moddb.com/members/21982/a...plex-materials

Comment

Working...
                    X