UT2003/4 to UT3 mod making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2003/4 to UT3 mod making

Hey, I made a mod on UT2003/4 called Elements of War. I kind of already understand how to make them. I was just wondering if the mod making was the same as UT3 as it is on UT2004. Like make a folder, get into that certain cfg file, add like I don't recall the name, it's at the bottom of the list of packages.

What I'm asking is do I need to do anything else besides what you do in UT2004? I can figure out the rest, as I already have the files and I do recall most of it.

This is mainly code/config files/file folders.

UT3 is almost the same, however it does not have a seperate file structure for mods (doh).

Comment

hmm...

So, instead of making a mod /C:/GameZ/UT3/EoW it would be just C:/GameZ/UT3...?

Dude... DDDDDUUUUUUEEEEE... What's up with that? What a silly move if that's the case.

Now I'm confused, so, I don't make a EoW folder for my mod at all? How would I compile my code and stuff like that?

Comment

Yeah, it's annoying. It's either an oversight, or the result of early kicking out due to publishing pressure, either way, no you don't create an EoW folder - you put all of your packages in the standard UT3 directories. As for code, it lives in a seperate folder that can be configured (but it's fine where it is really).
        http://www.moddb.com/members/21982/a...ment-3-mutator

Comment

WoW. You've got to be kidding me. So the only way I can actually make a mod is by making two UT3 folders. One for UT3 and my game, err wait, just my game. The other for every other package that just happens to get downloaded so I don't put them in my game and have an epic fail?

What's the reason behind this? This is like epic modding fail. Having your own folder is huge.

Comment

The reason behind this is that you do not ever touch the main game directory, you do not put your mod's files (and any other level or mod or whatever) in the "c:\games\UT3" folder but rather inside the "My Documents\My Games\UT3\" folder, using the directory structure provided inside that. This is a very clean way of going about it and means there's very little chance of messing up a core game package by accident. You can even have your own folder inside the Unpublished\CookedPC subdirectory to keep all your packages neat and tidy in one place.

The only "failure" of this is that Epic have yet to implement a seperate Total Conversion style directory structure from the plain mod filestructure, and a command line to load TC's, much like 2004 when that was first released if I remember correctly. You have to load the TC as a game type for now, but this is apparently on their list of things to rectify. As Ambershee said they were under immense preasure to get both the PC and PS3 versions released in time for Christmas so probably had to put such a feature on the back burner for the time being as it wasn't substantially important for the release due to TC's generally taking quite some time to develop.

Comment

So instead of C:/GameZ/UT3/EoW I use
              C:\Users\IceIYIaN\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\

is it \EoW or \Unpublished\CookedPC\EoW or \CookedPC\EoW

Fantastic... ...

Also, I can just copy the Editor Icon right from my Start Menu and put it in the BlahBlah\EoW "code" and change the "editor" to "make" and it does the Start/cmd stuff aka UCCMake, correct?

Comment

One other question: You could get into a certain cfg file and add /EoW/Maps etc, isn't that the case with UT3 or was this option removed and we're forced to do it like you guys are saying.

Comment

There are no config files like that in UT3.

Comment

Um, its more like:

for code:
                    Code:
                    My documents/my games/ut3/utgame/unpublished or published/script
                    for packages:
                    Code:
                    My documents/my games/ut3/utgame/unpublished or published/packagename
                    for maps:
                    Code:
                    My documents/my games/ut3/utgame/unpublished or published/maps

Comment

My documents/my games/ut3/utgame/unpublished or published/script/EoW
                      or
                      My documents/my games/ut3/utgame/unpublished or published/script

/cast !UCC Make LoL

Comment

/script/EoW/Classes

*Edit

Comment

Are you sure you have no access to the "Paths"? I was browsing one config file and sure enough, I found a path section. I only briefly checked over it though.

Comment

Working...
                          X