Buying 3DS Max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying 3DS Max?

Well, as much as I love Blender for making static meshes, the strange method of using multiple patches and round-about ways to properly get weapons/characters/vehicles into the game is seriously slowing down production.

I was wondering if there is any stores that would possibly sell 3ds Max 9? or is this something I would have to purchase online? (I hate buying anything online that I don't absolutely have to)

I would like to get into Max modelling to speed up my own productivity in creating meshes, weapons, and vehicles for UT3 in particular and since I am in the process of building a new maxed out quad-core system dedicated to modding and modelling, I figured I may as well get 3ds Max to go along with the change.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=1088201

try to find your area, or an area close to you

Comment

Thanks man, I found a place right in Portland, which is about 30 mins from me. Awesome.

Comment

If you're at High School / College - try to get them to get a copy for you at a discount.

Comment

If you have a student card, etc. you can get the educational version for quite inexpensive, around $400 to $800 I believe depending on license.
          Retail is $3500-ish though for a single-seat, but if you get an Autodesk subscription and pay the $500 per year, you get all of the future versions included plus extra stuff non-subscription purchasers don't get access to.

If you are using Vista 32 or XP/Vista 64, Max 2008 supports this well. It runs awesome on a Quad Core with 8GB and Vista 64.

Comment

i wish i had that kind of cash

Comment

I just googled it, the Student/Faculty versions of Maya or Max start at $200.
              Most teenagers/adults spend more than that each month on their cell-phone and junk-food...

Comment

Also, the more expensive licenses tend to either include support (arguable as to whether or not you'd need this) and extra features that in most cases aren't particularly applicable to game production. Bonus

Comment

3ds Max regularly costs $3,500 with the subscription plan you pay that and then an additional $400 each year and you get all updates, for instance, last October version 2008 was released, and last week version 2009 was released, if you got the subscription last October then you would get this 2009 version without any additional cost, along with any Expansions that they might release before October comes by again.

For students, you can get a full copy at a greatly reduced price, however you can only use it for non-commercial projects. Other than that it's the same exact version as the full retail. Right now they are only selling a 13-month license (it stops working after 13-months) of version 2009 for $200, although Journeyed.com has version 2008 at a perpetual (license doesn't expire) cost for $400 right now while supplies last.

Comment

I saw this on the Autodesk Area forums, Max 2009 Educational can be gotten for $110 right now... link here.

Comment

Bumping this thread to ask about this: http://students.pugh.co.uk/index.php...=4&prodID=1511

I'm no longer a student myself, but I have a friend who is, and might be able to buy this through him. My question is, is it that much better than Blender that it's worth paying almost £100 for?

I've been working through Blender tutorials for the last couple of weeks, and I'm finding it pretty frustrating. The way it doesn't use any of the standard Windows conventions is awkward to me (couldn't even figure out how to save a file without reading an interface tutorial), and I'm discouraged by all the posts I keep coming across where people mention the incompatibilities and workarounds you have to put up with to get Blender-made custom content working properly in UnrealEd.

Can anyone who's used both programs tell me if my time would be better spent learning 3DSMax, and if this particular version would be the one to get? Is the interface that much more user-friendly and such? Or should I just knuckle down and continue learning Blender.

I'm also kind of curious to know if anyone's successfully used Blender to create quality custom content in a map yet. Everyone seems to be using Max or Maya as far as I can tell, and Blender tutorials specific to mapping have proven very hard to find.

Comment

Just my opinion fwiw...

Max has one of the best "Windows" like interfaces of the 3D apps I've seen or used, since it was a DOS/Windows application from the start, and adhering (more or less) to the MS Windows Design Guidelines was done by their programmers.
                        Other software such as Blender and Maya etc. have a more "wacky" interface for a number of reasons which includes cross-platform design (although I still don't agree with that type of UI design choice).
                        I don't like Maya or use it simply because of its non-standard interface. I have looked at other 3d apps over the years such as Blender, Lightwave, SoftImage, etc., but stuck with 3DS/Max because of its interface (I've been legal with 3DS since DOS R2).
                        Personally, I prefer the Windows design to applications since that is usually more intuitive and easier to learn and use (although Microsoft themselves are now moving away from their own Windows Design Guidelines with Vista and 2007+ apps like Office ).

Download the Max demo and run it for the demo period and see if you like it better... then make your choice before putting out the money.

Technically your friend can't give/sell you his copy as educational versions are non-transferrable, so you had better check first to make sure that you can license and activate it before paying him anything...

Also be aware that the version you are looking at in that link is the 13 month license. AFAIK it totally stops working after 13 months. The unlimited use educational version is more money ($400-$500 US ??).

There are actually quite a few people using Blender to create UT3 content, including this.

Comment

I use blender it pretty easy to use once you watch some video and it took while to look around to learn things. Blender is hand on using the short keys. Also there are few plugin support to export and import. It all code in python. It does take time to get blender to unreal model to work.

Comment

I already use Blender for making Static Meshes and am pretty proficient with it as far as building meshes and UV mapping.

It's just kind of a pain to get Blender objects to skeletal mesh and animations as opposed to 3ds max's ActorX plugin, from what I've gathered online. I haven't used Max since Max 6, though.

Comment

Another option would be to try XSI, it costs about the same as maya (unlimited license) and its by my experiance waaay more organized. I prefer XSI, its used by alot of great producers and just feels more sophisticated, i guess its a presonal matter but i think you should give the evaluation a try

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/

Comment

Working...
                              X