Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Physics volume to force movement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Physics volume to force movement?

I am working on an octagonal map with a lot of Z-axis action. I have an idea I was tossing around about creating tubes that would contain a physics volume inside that would toss the character up to one of the upper levels of the map. I can't seem to get the volume to do this without the character first jumping. I would really like it if the volume would immediately throw the player upwards as soon as they entered it, rather than forcing them to jump. Is this possible?

Also, does anyone know if I could use multiple physics volume overlapping and switch which one is active by using kismet? I would like a panel or something the actor can use to select which level of the map the "tube" will send them too.

Try using the ForcedDirection Volumn for sucking the players up to nxt level.

That might help with that little problem.

Comment

I think force dir only pushes them down.

To make a grav lift in one of my non posted maps i used a gravity volume to make the player go up and lowered the volume by o.1 so the player fell into the volume giving the effect that they were sucked up.

Also i have been trying to get a sideways effect, is this possible?

Comment

Marilol: I tried your suggestion and got nothing. Still have to jump to get the player to move. Could you tell me in a little more detail what you did?

Laambo: I will try yours as well and get back to you. Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't know about sideways. It seems like it should be. I would like to eventually do a Hall of Giants remake, so that would help.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

I am bumping this thread because neither of the suggestions worked. Sorry guys. Any other ideas?

Comment

Why not use a jump pad with a custom mesh?

Comment

Originally posted by marilol View Post
              I think force dir only pushes them down.

You can force direction in any angle/direction you want and how fast to force/push. Just Tweek the ZoneVelocity (X,Y or Z) and do a "-" (for negative/opposite) direction.

The GravityVolume should work as well with some nice tweeking and you can probably do the same in the velocity settings to force a certain direction as well.?

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by balloonsfor600 View Post
                I am bumping this thread because neither of the suggestions worked. Sorry guys. Any other ideas?
                The trick with ForceDirVolume is making sure you get that arrow pointing in the direction you want to force your player (in your case).

To change the direction go in to it's property ....

ForceDirVolume--->Arrow--->Rotation...and set the Pitch/Roll/Yaw to move the arrow to the direction you want to force. You can use the black up/down arrows to the far right and click and you will see the arrow start to move in your 3D viewport. Its faster to just type in your angles.... 45, 90, 180, etc..

Then go in to the PhysicsVolumn--->ZoneVelocity....and input your X, Y and Z velocity you want to push them along.

Hope that helps!

Comment

I've been messing around and the only volume I was able to get to force someone off their feet was the UTSpaceVolume. The rest required you to jump before the Z velocity came into effect.

Comment

Hmm... That is interesting. I will give that a shot (though I found a pseudo solution that works fine for my map.

Comment

Working...
                    X