Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem: Serious issue with stock speedtree paackages.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem: Serious issue with stock speedtree paackages.

This is very strange, a while back I began having issues with my speed tree packages, they would cause the engine to crash while in the editor when ever i loaded them. On a whim I decided to copy & paste the package (un_speedtree2 Copy" was the file name now) and it suddenly started working. I thought this had solved my problems, but it seems not.

I kept getting this error that said: Some object assignments failded because of cross-package reference. I figured this was because the package I loaded was referencing data from another package. So in an attempt to resolve this issue I copied both packages, deleted the originals (which didn't work) and renamed the copies to match the originals, They caused the editor to crash again like before.

Now for a moment I was stumped, then, on another whim, i changed each of the file names: "UN_speedtree2 t" UN_speedtree t" (capitalization may differ), by simply adding a lower case t to the end. and the packages opened again.

For soem strange reason the editor refuses to open speedtree packages if they have the stock name, what is up with this? And to clarify, I've reinstalled 3 times to date, no change.

Check your \Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\ folder (The one with the UT3.EXE in it). If you have any .upk files, delete them (a backup is prudent in case you zap the wrong file(s)).
    A duplicated package in this folder can cause all kinds of problems similar to yours.

Oh. Just re-read your post and that you have re-installed 3 times. Double check that folder, but it could be something else. Don't know.

Comment

Sorry, not really sure what I'm looking for, but I found no package files in there.

Comment

filenames should not have spaces in them

Comment

Ya, that was quite a ways off from the point of the question. the " t" was added to prove a point, that when the packages had the official stock names they crashed the editor, anything else, they load perfectly. Only problem being, they seem to reference packages that wont load under stock names, so the speed trees just wont work.

Bump

Comment

Bump. sorry to have to do this, but it's turning into a serious issue on my side :\. I'f anyone has had this happen please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Morphine View Post
              I've reinstalled 3 times to date, no change.
              How did you reinstall? Did you delete the entire \Unreal Tournament 3\ folder tree each time?

Comment

first two times i used the built in uninstaller, third i went in a deleted all data from my program files ut3 directory

Comment

This problem sometimes apperas when your map filename is not standard name (ie. space, non ascii characters etc) For time you are creating your map use only some old dos compatibile filename, then you can rename map for that latest publishing. In this case engine cannot find package with name of your map. Engine has a bit different restrictions to package name than windows to filenames, so windows can save map and then engine assumes name of one of packages exactly as your map filename. In this case engine cannot find mymap package (stored as package with your map filename)

Also this crossreference bug appears when you have 2 different versions of package, and your map references something from different version of package than you have stored on harddrive. Sometimes even double clicking material and viewing it marks it as modified. Then when you are closing your map and cancel saving modified packages, your map has checksum or version number of modified one, but on harddrive you have unmodified version only.

Also a lot of epics maps have different package version than those supplied with game. For eg. Avalnache, that animated necris tube for NEC_Wires. If you even open that map and click on that tube you get modified NEC_Wires package, because version in avalnache map does not mach version in enviroments folder.

This all (package version mismatch) may be also due to optimalisation and engine stripping some stuff while cooking packages or maps.

Comment

Doesn't seem to be the case :\, i renamed it from DM-land1, to landone, and tried to open speedtree package under stock name, still crashed. I don't get why it's only these two that cause the problem. I'll probably two doing a clean wipe tomorrow, then if it still doesn't work i'll try using the method marked in the sticky on copying cooked data, see if i cant pull out the trees and materials.

Comment

i've had exactly the same problem - solution was looking for any duplicated upk file, found it in my_docs/unreal etc folder deleted, and everything worked fine

Comment

Originally posted by Morphine View Post
                        first two times i used the built in uninstaller, third i went in a deleted all data from my program files ut3 directory
                        Make sure to delete your "My Documents/My Games/Unreal Tournament 3/" directory as well.

I has similar issues with the speedtree packages and reinstalling seemed to fix it.

UN_Team.upk seems to give me the same type of errors from time to time.

Comment

There are also some issues with the SpeedTree setup itself. Some people are going to run into a variety of problems using them such as crashes during build etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
                            There are also some issues with the SpeedTree setup itself. Some people are going to run into a variety of problems using them such as crashes during build etc.
                            yes me for egsample today, worst thing i couldn't find a solution nowhere on the web... but i've done it ;]

After rebuilding everything i still had the message that the lightning needs to be rebuilt.
                            solution: I had to pick a material even for the parts of the tree that arent enabled, and now its working right...

Comment

I fixed this a while back. though reinstallign wasn't working, when i tweaked the file location from c:/programfiles/unreal tournament 3 to c:/programfiles/unreal 3/unreal tournament 3. been workign for the last few weeks no problem

Comment

Working...
                              X