Is it possible to export a static mesh then open in 3dsmax9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to export a static mesh then open in 3dsmax9

I have tried to export static meshes out of ut3 editor I saved them in obj format then when I try and import into 3dsmax 9 nothing shows up it doesn't seem to matter what options I check on the import.

Has anyone done this if so how?

Thanks in advance.

I'd also like to know if this is possible. I think it ISNT (most likely to stop people editing the stock meshes) but it would be nice if we could edit meshes we make outselves using brushes n so on in the editor...

Comment

I can't get 3ds Max to import OBJ files so I use an OBJ to FBX converter first, and it works fine.

Edit: Can't you convert StaticMeshes into brushes and use geometry mode to edit them?

Comment

If you can I cant see it :P its not in the right click option lol. Only convert to KActor and Mover

Comment

I tried using the OBJ to FBX converter but when I import the new fbx file it only shows a marker box.

Could you go thru all the steps and setting you used to get it to work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill_Brooks View Post
            I tried using the OBJ to FBX converter but when I import the new fbx file it only shows a marker box.

Could you go thru all the steps and setting you used to get it to work for you?
            I just put a Static mesh in a level and went to File > Export as OBJ, then ran the file through the FBX converter with the default settings. I have 3ds Max 2008.

Comment

That is what I did also but I'm using 3dsmax 9 hmm there must be a way to get it to work.

Comment

Could you post what your FBX converter with the default settings are?

Comment

where can i get 3ds max do i have to pay for it, and what version do i need for unreal?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_Alucard View Post
                    where can i get 3ds max do i have to pay for it, and what version do i need for unreal?
                    It's $3,495.00 USD and you need at least 3ds Max 9 for Unreal (you can only buy 3ds Max 2008, which is newer than 9). That's if you don't want to break the law.

Comment

One workaround is to use 3d ripper dx a free program that can rip models out of any game it's opened with and save it to obj or a special format for 3ds max. works with any directx9 program. never tried it with unreal, migth work, just make a sample map with all the meshes in it you need load up, get close to the model in game and use the tool.

http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

Comment

Yes, 3d ripper works very well with UT3 ;-)

Comment

hi can i get someone to get the models and Textures and the rest of the suff for the sniper rifle plz ,,, i have tryed to use 3d ripper but my ut3 won't run now i stuffed something up

thanx kiwi

Comment

Working...
                          X