Attaching Actors to skeletalMesh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attaching Actors to skeletalMesh?

Hey, I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if this has been asked before, though I couldn't find it when I searched.

I have a skeletalmesh, which I am going to animate in matinee, making it run around the map happy as a monkey. What I would like to do is to attach a chimneylike object to his back. From that chimney I would like som smoke to come out.

So, how do I go about this? Attaching a chimney to the skeletalmesh, then attaching the particlesystem to the the chimney.

Thanks in Advance.

-Demno

You have answered your own question.

Comment

You need to set the Base property (and BaseBoneName if attaching to a specific bone) to attach one actor to another. The base of the chimney would be the skeletal mesh actor and the base of the emitter would be the chimney.

Comment

Thanks for your answer, but I seem to have run into a problem, I hard attach an actor to another, just to test it out, but it still won't move along with it. Or doesn't the attachment show in the editor? I thought this would be like parenting as in for example maya.

Comment

It should work, for instance, when previewing a matinee, but it is not like parenting in a 3D application in that transformations, such as moving and rotating the base in the viewport, will not affect the attached actor.

Comment

Sweet! I got it working now! Thanks a lot!

Comment

Here's an example on how I would do it.

Comment

Working...
              X